What's new

[Experimental] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 test - AiMesh/DNSSEC through OpenSSL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the same issue but it was advised to start data collection on the Config tab of the WiFi radar and then it works fine indeed! Only do still have some stability issues when this app is running btw (router GUI becoming in responsive/rejecting connections to port 80).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Thanks wasn't aware of that and now working great

Thanks you confirmed my thoughts. Do you know if the 3100 have alot of problems with this. I found on best buys web site a few bad reviews all saying 2.4 was dead with in a week on them and to look for 2019 models?
Yea I have had mine for 2 years with no 2.4 issues did you buy this reconditioned ?

Hi!
I updated my AC86U and it's ok.
OpenVpn, DDNS, DHCP, IPTV, Dlna.

Last edited:
Just updated my RT-AC86U and it is working well. I get the same rootcanary results as the first page using quad9 servers. Editing static IP addresses in DHCP works as well.

Anyone here testing the nodes and have VPN setup? Question is, are you allowing the nodes to connect to WAN similar to the main router or are you nodes connecting via VPN? For instance, I have 2 rules setup under VPN that the following devices will connect to either WAN or VPN:

VPN:
192.168.1.0/24

WAN:
192.168.1.1/27

The WAN rule currently has the main router and nodes (with static IP address) to include a few gaming devices (using FreshJr script) & nest devices that I don't want to go thru VPN. I'm noticing the I get alot of disconnects when gaming online this way, however when I disconnect all nodes and just use main router (RT-AC86U) all the disconnects stop completely. Any ideas why? I was thinking of changing the nodes to go thru VPN and see if this makes a difference.

RT-AC86U in Repeater Mode: After installing this new Alpha2 code, then a GUI selected "Factory default restore, intialize all settings" then setup Router, kept getting this message as per pic on my iPhone 8, every 24hrs or so. Tried twice more...this GUI process, but still, no fix. At times, my laptop wouldn't connect to the 5GHz band either. To resolve all...did a "firmware recovery mode", power off/on then a "NVRAM WPS button reset", then power off/on.
Noted on the WPS button reset (my RT-AX88U is also the same), if you hold in the WPS button when you power on via installing power plug into unit, longer then say 5 seconds, the unit powers off again to never power on. You have to manually power on again. This is new WPS button behaviour to me...on the TR-AC86U and TR-AX88U.
| Laptop still having issues connecting (unless the Router powered off/on). Noted tonight that Lenovo pulled the Intel 8265 driver I was using and we're back to an earlier release, have installed that.
|| After last power on of 48hrs, Laptop & iPhone unable to connect to Router, until I powered Router off/on. Will try another firmware level to see if symptoms change.

Attachments

• 2019-07-21 16.50.57.jpg
    2019-07-21 16.50.57.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
@RMerlin great work! Will we see this coming to the GT-AX11000 anytime soon?
Yea this will never happen, he would have to taylor a special case for the GT -series router just to allow the support of the many "other" features. Then on top of that it would be harder to keep it inline with the rest of the other supported routers that are more popular and get way more frequent gpl releases with updates.

That sounds like a ton more work for one man with a hobby to take on.

So I completely understand when Rmerlin says no.

You are welcome to fork it and try to take on the challenge yourself.

I have asus rt86u so how do i flash it?
you have to post the FULL name/type of your router, not only parts of it!
Download proper file from Merlin share from his first post of this thread
Unzip it, name: RT-AC86U_384.13_alpha2-g350d39b194_cferom_ubi.w
and in GUI admin page upload the .w file.

Last edited:
this is for 68U, so you have to change the command to use YOUR firmware file, where is the problem to use your filename instead of the one use in the video?

If you use this tutorial you are in router GUI, why do you need putty or SSH?
Just upload it there!

Use better video like here at min. 14:00:

Anyone here testing the nodes and have VPN setup? Question is, are you allowing the nodes to connect to WAN similar to the main router or are you nodes connecting via VPN? For instance, I have 2 rules setup under VPN that the following devices will connect to either WAN or VPN:

VPN:
192.168.1.0/24

WAN:
192.168.1.1/27

The WAN rule currently has the main router and nodes (with static IP address) to include a few gaming devices (using FreshJr script) & nest devices that I don't want to go thru VPN. I'm noticing the I get alot of disconnects when gaming online this way, however when I disconnect all nodes and just use main router (RT-AC86U) all the disconnects stop completely. Any ideas why? I was thinking of changing the nodes to go thru VPN and see if this makes a difference.

Anyone...pretty please?

Guys, this thread is for gathering feedback on AiMesh and DNSSEC. If you need assistance with other issues, start a separate thread, or wait for the official beta cycle.

Future off-topic posts will be DELETED.

Brief summary of my 384.13 alpha2 findings -
Start point: Main router RT-AC66U_B1, Media Bridge RT-AC66u_B1, DNS - Quad9 (no DoT), VPN server and clients, VoIP - local and remote PBXs, various VPS management activities (no gaming at all.). Dirty upgrade over existing 384.12 on both devices.
Ten days ago I installed alpha2 on the main router - no issues. Converted the media bridge to an AiMesh node running on alpha2- no issues. After 2 days I added another RT-AC66U_B1 as a second node - no issues.
The 4th day I converted the nodes to the current Asus stock firmware - no issues and the nodes' signal seemed to be stronger based on the GUI number of bars.
I had no issues with DNS resolution. VoIP quality very good - unchanged from the starting point. Smartphones, tablets moving around were connecting to the closest node.
I only had 3 issues during this time:
- I found the second node disconnected one morning - nothing of interest in the log - a reboot at that point keeps it going for the last few days
- the 5GHz signal dropped a few days ago and the devices switched to 2.4GHz - haven't had time to troubleshoot - a router reboot fixed that
- first time I tried to connect to the OpenVPN server it did not connect, neither did it show any real-time connection attempt in the log. I turned off/on the VPN server from the GUI and it works since.

Misc.: I have some 15 DHCP reservations (added 2 new ones) and had no issue. Memory was very consistent with previous usage (Diversion and Skynet on a USB3 stick.) The GUI seems a bit quicker (more responsive) now. Changing DNS to Cloudflare for a couple of days worked with no apparent name resolution issues. DNSSEC validation passed on internet.nl, dnssec.vs.uni-due.de, rootcanary.org.

All-in-all, from where I sit this is a very solid alpha2. Thank you for all the hard work to make this real!

in my setup (86u+68u as node) not remember qos settings, always back to custom (i set to media streaming).
Stop sending alert email after router reboot (on asuswrt same issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.