What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that thread. Unfortunately, the script proposed in that thread doesn't work and I am baffled by the iptables command.

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of grep -v :rolleyes:

Lets take this conversation over to that thread because the answer applies not only to this fork but all firmwares.

If you want my help debugging that script, post your script and the output from the iptables command in step 2 from my post #12 in that thread (Post in that thread, not this thread or I will ignore you).

Edit: to say that you can change your public IP address to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the output of the iptables command if you wish.

Last edited:
I assume you've seen the thread that's dedicated to this topic. It's not just a matter of flipping a compile switch....
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/dnsmasq-dnssec-support.27716/
John,
I'm about to give the latest version a try again RT-AC66U. My issue in the past has been that once ASUS changed the driver providers for the USB, My external drobo could no longer be seen using NTFS.

Question: Can I go to the current version (378.56 I think) and back down to this version?

John,
I'm about to give the latest version a try again RT-AC66U. My issue in the past has been that once ASUS changed the driver providers for the USB, My external drobo could no longer be seen using NTFS.

Question: Can I go to the current version (378.56 I think) and back down to this version?
You can move between any of the firmware levels with the proper steps......

In your case, I would do the following
- Do a save configuration from the gui and save that file away in case you want to go back (this is a case where the built-in save configuration will be useful)
- Load the Merlin code you want to test and do a factory reset and reconfigure the router. DO NOT load the configuration you saved in the previous step.

If you want to go back to the fork
- Load the fork code and do a factory reset. Minimally configure things to get to the Administration pages.
- Restore the configuration you saved from this level, and you should be back exactly where you started.

Did you do a reset to factory defaults AFTER loading the firmware? It's required when switching between the levels.
Just wanted to add to what John posted assuming you probably have not done a complete factory reset. I can say with certainty for basic routing this firmware V-14 is rock solid on my RT-N66 and the 5Ghz band shines like a new car no issues great range.
Yeah, I definitely did a factory reset, but I believe I did it via the physical hardware button, if that makes a difference. I'd done a factory reset before as well and when the firmware upgrade completed, the login had been defaulted for whatever reason, and wouldn't go directly into the setup wizard. So, I did a couple hardware resets, to no avail. I ended up looking up default logins for asus, and the good ole fashioned admin/admin worked. Maybe the hardware resets weren't complete, though. Seems plausible.

So, I went ahead and did a Factory default Restore from the Administration GUI and after configuring the router again, I appear to be having the same issue still. I'm currently running the 5GHz on channel 157, which should be a pretty empty area around my house, but that's really all I've changed in relation to my wifi (other than ssid/wpa key and turning WPS off).

So, I went ahead and did a Factory default Restore from the Administration GUI and after configuring the router again, I appear to be having the same issue still. I'm currently running the 5GHz on channel 157, which should be a pretty empty area around my house, but that's really all I've changed in relation to my wifi (other than ssid/wpa key and turning WPS off).
I had to go back remind myself that you are seeing intermittent drops on 5Ghz. I'm at a loss since the reports, especially for the N66U are good. Only things I can think of....
- If you are trying to 'hide' your SSID by disabling the SSID broadcast, I remember reading some posts that it may cause a small fluctuation in transmission power.
- Your first post says you've been 'running a long time'. Following the various threads, it seems that the power supplies on the N66s that are a couple of years old are starting to weaken, and cause all sorts of strange problems. Was this the first power cycle of the router in a long time? It may be worth it to invest in the small cost of replacement supply to rule this out.

i just bought the 68R replaced my R7000. Flashed the Fork Firmware. What should i set the NAT acceleration to level 1 or 2? By default its level 1. Should i keep everything Auto or atleast set the control channel? Please let me know

I just upgraded my n66u to ac87u router.
I'm going to sell the n66u to second hand market. Before that, I want to fall back the firmware to asus official firmware. Could I just flash asus official firmware from a merlin firmware ?

I just upgraded my n66u to ac87u router.
I'm going to sell the n66u to second hand market. Before that, I want to fall back the firmware to asus official firmware. Could I just flash asus official firmware from a merlin firmware ?

Sure no problem there i would do a factory reset after the install and let the next owner configure it.

well today in the Netherlands we had our DST moment
I am sorry to say but on automatic mode it did not switch on it's own.(RT-AC66U, V13 fork)

i had to manually set it to show the correct wintertime.
The problem with current settings is i can not choose a setting which will work always.

The switching moment over here is the LAST sunday of october
sometimes this is week 5 but this year it is in week 4

Why is there no seetting to select the LAST sunday of a month?
I believe this functionality is used in most of europe(not week 1-5 but the last week of october)

ofcourse we have the same problem in march were we switch als on the last sunday of March

this is probably not a fork bug but i would like to mention it anyway(maybe somebody will take care of this)

well today in the Netherlands we had our DST moment
I am sorry to say but on automatic mode it did not switch on it's own.(RT-AC66U, V13 fork)

i had to manually set it to show the correct wintertime.
The problem with current settings is i can not choose a setting which will work always.

The switching moment over here is the LAST sunday of october
sometimes this is week 5 but this year it is in week 4

Why is there no seetting to select the LAST sunday of a month?
I believe this functionality is used in most of europe(not week 1-5 but the last week of october)

ofcourse we have the same problem in march were we switch als on the last sunday of March

this is probably not a fork bug but i would like to mention it anyway(maybe somebody will take care of this)

I live in Holland too and had the same issue. Solved it by entering manual timezone and DST values. Go to Administration and then System and enter the values from the 1st screenshot. Apply. Then check the time and date in System Log in the 1st tab General Log, see 2ns screenshot. Works perfect and have not had any issues since the last 2 years. Note that this is a Asus bug.

Attachments

• setting1.JPG
    setting1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 442
  • setting2.JPG
    setting2.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 593
You can move between any of the firmware levels with the proper steps......

In your case, I would do the following
- Do a save configuration from the gui and save that file away in case you want to go back (this is a case where the built-in save configuration will be useful)
- Load the Merlin code you want to test and do a factory reset and reconfigure the router. DO NOT load the configuration you saved in the previous step.

If you want to go back to the fork
- Load the fork code and do a factory reset. Minimally configure things to get to the Administration pages.
- Restore the configuration you saved from this level, and you should be back exactly where you started.

Thanks for the info. The USB drive works with the latest version finally. The problem I face now is, should I stay with the upgraded firmware? I lack the advanced wifi data in repeater mode now, but everything is more flashy. The only needs I have is stability, wifi speed, and USB speed off an NTFS. Any advice?

Thanks for the info. The USB drive works with the latest version finally. The problem I face now is, should I stay with the upgraded firmware? I lack the advanced wifi data in repeater mode now, but everything is more flashy. The only needs I have is stability, wifi speed, and USB speed off an NTFS. Any advice?
Uhhh.....sounds like you have a decision that only you can make :)
Stability - you need to assess in your environment
Wifi speed - some see better performance on the fork, others no measureable difference
USB speed - the new drivers are supposed to be a bit faster, but as you've seen there has also been some issues. For me, the older Paragon drivers have always been stable.

Thanks Andy,

thoose were the settings i also tried.

the thing is, this year the last sunday of october is in Week4, not 5 so why is it working on your router?
also hour should be 3, because it changes from 3 to 2

I live in Holland too and had the same issue. Solved it by entering manual timezone and DST values. Go to Administration and then System and enter the values from the 1st screenshot. Apply. Then check the time and date in System Log in the 1st tab General Log, see 2ns screenshot. Works perfect and have not had any issues since the last 2 years. Note that this is a Asus bug.

This is so strange. I have a ac68r and I had flashed fork firmware. Then I have decided to go back to stock. For some reason no matter what firmware I flash it does not overwrite it Still shows fork firmware. Factory reset didn't do anything either. Any suggestions?

This is so strange. I have a ac68r and I had flashed fork firmware. Then I have decided to go back to stock. For some reason no matter what firmware I flash it does not overwrite it Still shows fork firmware. Factory reset didn't do anything either. Any suggestions?
Nothing unique to the fork....See Merlin's response to your other thread (please don't cross-post)
You need to first load a firmware that will upgrade the bootloader....Asus stock level 376.3626 or any of Merlin's later levels (I know 378.55 and above work).

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I currently have a RT-AC66 with John's fork firmware. I got the upgrade urge and considered buying an RT-AC68P and use John's fork again. Of course my wife stepped in and said "what's wrong with the one we have now?" Is there good justification for this upgrade to a faster processor and USB3 or spend the money on the mrs and wait for the next generation router? We currently have six 2.4G ip cams, a couple 5G smart phones, a couple 5G tablets, a couple 2.4G Internet radios, and a 5G Roku box on wireless. VOIP, Printer, Desktop on Ethernet connection. Opinions welcome.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I currently have a RT-AC66 with John's fork firmware. I got the upgrade urge and considered buying an RT-AC68P and use John's fork again. Of course my wife stepped in and said "what's wrong with the one we have now?" Is there good justification for this upgrade to a faster processor and USB3 or spend the money on the mrs and wait for the next generation router? We currently have six 2.4G ip cams, a couple 5G smart phones, a couple 5G tablets, a couple 2.4G Internet radios, and a 5G Roku box on wireless. VOIP, Printer, Desktop on Ethernet connection. Opinions welcome.

Imho, the difference between the two routers is not big enough. If you want to be ready for the future, buy some Multi-MIMO router or at least an AC87U or AC3200. Of course, they are more expensive.

AC87A an AC3200A have superior hardware
however if you keep on reading you notice that thoose routers are not very popular since there is no fork firmware for it and the latest asus firmware has a lot of restictions.

i also have the ac66u and it is as good as it gets at the moment.
Imho, the difference between the two routers is not big enough. If you want to be ready for the future, buy some Multi-MIMO router or at least an AC87U or AC3200. Of course, they are more expensive.

AC87A an AC3200A have superior hardware
however if you keep on reading you notice that thoose routers are not very popular since there is no fork firmware for it and the latest asus firmware has a lot of restictions.

i also have the ac66u and it is as good as it gets at the moment.
I agree... And like to add that if you have something you'd like to off-load or separate, banana pi's are cheap.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!