What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

At the risk of asking a dumb question, I have an Asus ROG Rapture AX11000 but I'm not a gamer. Evidently I have been using the Merlin versions not having "rog" in their names without even realizing. This time, I flashed using the "rog" version and it looks *very* different, though I think it's cosmetic. I'm assuming that if I flash again and use GT-AX11000_3004_388.4_0_ubi that it will look more like what I'm accustomed to. Is this correct? Am I losing anything by not using the "rog" version?
That is correct ...you're not missing much but the fancy graphs and colors. I used the non-rog version as well and prefer it over the rog version.

Asuswrt-Merlin 388.4 is now available for Wifi 6 models.

Code:
3004.388.4 (21-Aug-2023)
  - NOTE: In preparation for the new 3.0.0.6 codebase, the version
          string will now start with 3004 or 3006 to match with
          upstream.

- NOTE: The RT-AX56U is no longer supported, as Asus has put it
          on End-of-Life status, and the previous Asuswrt-Merlin
          388 releases for that model were all based on untested
          code.

- NEW: Display channel utilisation for supported platforms on the
         Wireless Log page.
  - UPDATED: Merged GPL 388_23588.
  - UPDATED: curl to 8.1.2.
  - UPDATED: OpenVPN to 2.6.5.
  - UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1u.
  - UPDATED: tor to 0.4.7.13.
  - CHANGED: FTP server will now only support strong ciphers
             in TLS mode.
  - FIXED: QOS Classification showing no Upload data on some
           WAN configurations.
  - FIXED: Radio temperature graphs weren't updating
  - FIXED: XT12 proximity pairing wasn't working (missing
           bluetooth firmware)
  - REMOVED: Ethernet port status from the Tools Sysinfo page
             (as this is redundant with Asus' own display
             now available on the networkmap page).

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
I have my RT-AX56U as a mesh node running OEM ASUS firmware, with an RT-AX88U as the main router running 388.1, would I still be able to update my AX88U to this firmware?

I've tried this previously and behaviour is the same, both are on the same firmware.
Right now it's stable and no reboots encountered.

Is there anything in the log info that points to anything odd?

I have my RT-AX56U as a mesh node running OEM ASUS firmware, with an RT-AX88U as the main router running 388.1, would I still be able to update my AX88U to this firmware?
This is how I would normally run when I had a mesh node - Merlin on Main and OE on Node. I was running an AC86U Node with AX88U Main.

I've tried this previously and behaviour is the same, both are on the same firmware.
Right now it's stable and no reboots encountered.

Is there anything in the log info that points to anything odd?
You may find that a full power cycle of the offending router fixed the problem? - It has in many other instances of quirkiness.
I could not see anything odd in the log extracts you posted above. If stable now ... don't bother to trawl the logs.
I used to be OCD about my router logs - until I received loads of "chill-pill" advice from the "Furniture Bearers" in these forums :D.

ASUS RT AX-86U firmware 3004.388.4.
A few days ago I started having problems with missing packets. The problem continues from several minutes until the reboot. Rebooting sometimes doesn't help. Today I contacted the provider. So they asked to connect the cable directly to the computer. You won’t believe it, but the network worked very well while it was connected directly. As a result, I created a “Double WAN” and made the main 2.5G port. From now on there are no problems yet.

ASUS RT AX-86U firmware 3004.388.4.
A few days ago I started having problems with missing packets……….As a result, I created a “Double WAN” and made the main 2.5G port. From now on there are no problems yet.
How did you know packets were being dropped or “missing”? Please describe the. “Double WAN” configuration.

What is so unstable in 388 base? It has bugs here and there, but works well for average home router users. Most will never notice the bugs. Asuswrt-Merlin firmware works on very small % of Asus routers and everything closed source is exactly the same coming from Asus, Broadcom, TrendMicro, etc.
I jst had so many many issues with asus 388,my logs were full of kernel errors,getting random reboots,loads of people had problems with it,I don't know what merlin changed and if I'm honest I don't care,all I know is ive not seen a single error in the logs and and not a single reboot

Two weeks have passed and no issues. I guess resetting the modem/ONT fixed my ISP DHCP error.
...and the ISP DHCP error happened three times this week, once after a modem reset. Im going back to 388.1 on my router. Sigh.

Hi, can I update like OpenSSL to newer version via SSH or is it only when new firmware is updated?

Last edited:
65 days and still going strong... rock solid.

1698500446248.png