What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nothing overt I can think of, I didn't touch any of the minidlna code in the recent releases.
I just double-checked my Yamaha receiver, VIZIO TV, Roku 3 and Windows Media Player and they all can see/use my media server.

Only possibility I can come up with is if you have a really long name for the media server, you might try to shorten it a bit (mine is 17 characters). I closed a bunch of potential buffer overflow conditions in V16, and maybe one of those is coming into play.

Hmm, there's something not right for me. On 15, Samba shares show up straight away automatically on my PC and Media Server is always available on my TV's and amps, on 16 and 17 I have to manually point the pc to the samba share to find the folders and Media Server either take an age to connect on my other equipment or don't connect at all. Merlins firmware behaves the same way, I'll stick to 15 for now as I've resolved the only issue I had with that version.

Nothing really important relative to Asuswrt there. SSLv2 support is already disabled, rejecting DH below 1024-bit is only to ensure that a remote server doesn't use a lower 768-bit DH, and CVE-2016-0701 does not affect OpenVPN.
That's all Greek to me... and I am Greek! :confused::cool:

Hmm, there's something not right for me. On 15, Samba shares show up straight away automatically on my PC and Media Server is always available on my TV's and amps, on 16 and 17 I have to manually point the pc to the samba share to find the folders and Media Server either take an age to connect on my other equipment or don't connect at all. Merlins firmware behaves the same way, I'll stick to 15 for now as I've resolved the only issue I had with that version.
There are two things you can try....

First, check the minidlna log file for any errors....it can be found at
path_to_media_share/.minidlna/minidlna.log

Second thing to try is to make a /jffs/scripts/init-start script with the following (or add the relevant lines to your existing init-start)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Turn off multicast snooping (can block minidlna advertisement)
echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping
exit

EDIT: Just a quick note on the above....this can be very intermittent. If your media server is there one minute and gone the next, the above will probably help.

Last edited:
HI John

I have a NT66U router, have flashed 16E1 firware onto it and everything works great apart from QOS, when I enable it and leave everything as default I am unable to SSH into any external hosts either by IP or hostname, I tried adding SSH on port 22 to the user specified list with the highest priority but it does not make any difference.

thanks for the firmware.

Attachments

• qos.png
    qos.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 517
There are two things you can try....

First, check the minidlna log file for any errors....it can be found at
path_to_media_share/.minidlna/minidlna.log

Second thing to try is to make a /jffs/scripts/init-start script with the following (or add the relevant lines to your existing init-start)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Turn off multicast snooping (can block minidlna advertisement)
echo 0 > /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/multicast_snooping
exit

EDIT: Just a quick note on the above....this can be very intermittent. If your media server is there one minute and gone the next, the above will probably help.

Thanks John, I'll give it a shot tonight and report back.

I run with the auto log off, and think it's probably a good safety measure, especially if you try to logon from multiple PCs. Where I've see intermittent problems (that I haven't been able to track down), is when you leave one of the message pages open on the PC, either the 'logged off' page, or the 'can't log on because another user is logged on'. I've found if you close these pages first when they occur, things run much smoother.

Just a follow up this after a couple of days of no problems.

Logging out has completely resolved both the unresponsive GUI, and loss of access to attached USB drives. The main reason I was wanting to logon was to see why the USB drives were not available. Logging out has for the first time in many months kept the drives available, (why didn't I ask for help before now instead of putting up with it!).

Why the auto timeout should effect the USB side of things is something I'll let others ponder, I'm just pleased that logging off sorts it out.

Thanks again for the help.

HI John

I have a NT66U router, have flashed 16E1 firware onto it and everything works great apart from QOS, when I enable it and leave everything as default I am unable to SSH into any external hosts either by IP or hostname, I tried adding SSH on port 22 to the user specified list with the highest priority but it does not make any difference.

thanks for the firmware.
I've been thinking about this one, and don't see any way that QOS should affect ssh.

Just to make sure I understand correctly....
You are trying to connect via ssh to a system outside your lan? (not ssh into the router)
Are you trying to connect via the router or from a client connected to the router?
If a client, what operating system?
Are you trying to 'test' ssh while having a large download/upload also running?

Is there any reason/setting on 16e and 17b firmware why I'm struggling to get my TV's and amp to access the media server on the router. Its just showing as not available, works perfectly on 15?

This is weird, I've had the media server on my n66u stop working for no reason twice in the past 2 days. I changed nothing on the router config.
There is, however, a new folder on the disk now, found.000 with a fil000.chk file inside. Saw it once in the past on this drive. I haven't set disk scheduled scan and haven't manually scanned the disk since updating to 16e1.

EDIT:Scanned the disk from the router and now the media server is back...? What's up with this?

EDIT:Scanned the disk from the router and now the media server is back...? What's up with this?
How is the disk formatted? For ext formatted disks, e2fsck is run automatically after a certain number of mounts. A disk check can also be run automatically if the router detects a problem on the disk.

Why it hung up media server after 'fixing' the problem, I don't know.

I've found my problem. When my PC is on (thus accessing the media server) the rest of my devices can't connect, turn the PC off the TV's can cannot looks like only one device at a time can access it. Does this sound right?

I've found my problem. When my PC is on (thus accessing the media server) the rest of my devices can't connect, turn the PC off the TV's can cannot looks like only one device at a time can access it. Does this sound right?
Definitely not....I just ran a test to double check nothing went awry....
Streaming one movie to Roku Media Player
Streaming another movie to another PC with WMP
Playing music to another PC via WMP

Trying to think of something for you to try :confused:

EDIT - @kitch9 Is it a Samsung TV by any chance. Samsung did a dumb thing and tries to have the TV connect with the name 'localhost'. Usually it just can't connect, but may be worth ruling out. If you do a search on 'Samsung dnsmasq' you should be able to find the threads.

Last edited:
Definitely not....I just ran a test to double check nothing went awry....
Streaming one movie to Roku Media Player
Streaming another movie to another PC with WMP
Playing music to another PC via WMP

Trying to think of something for you to try :confused:
I wonder if the pc accessing Samba and Media servers at the same time has something to do with it?

How is the disk formatted? For ext formatted disks, e2fsck is run automatically after a certain number of mounts. A disk check can also be run automatically if the router detects a problem on the disk.

Its ntfs. Will just see if it happens again.

I wonder if the pc accessing Samba and Media servers at the same time has something to do with it?
Shouldn't matter either....
Just started a copy of 4GB file to the media server drive from a PC using SMB, then while that was going on started a movie via the Roku Media Player.

Did you try and apply the init-start fix I mentioned?

Shouldn't matter either....
Just started a copy of 4GB file to the media server drive from a PC using SMB, then while that was going on started a movie via the Roku Media Player.

Did you try and apply the init-start fix I mentioned?

I'll be honest, I'm new to JFFS so whilst I was reading up on how to do it I stumbled upon getting the media centre working. Played around a bit more and figured out I can have multiple devices accessing the media server at the same time, only when the PC is off. When the pc is on, only the pc has access, nothing else. Now I need to find what variable is causing that. I'm guessing it's something on the pc.

Managed to reproduce it.. happened again when I switched the router off from mains. I doubt it ever happened like this. There was no disk activity at the time.

What I can see in the log when I did this :

minidlna.c:1154: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.3.
minidlna.c:1194: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
upnphttp.c:1225: error: send(res_buf): 15928 bytes sent (out of 19626)
upnphttp.c:1048: warn: HTTP Connection closed unexpectedly

Have the scan media after every reboot disabled.

Update: Hard rebooted 5 times but could not reproduce it again. Probably a fluke.

Last edited:
Will this firmware let me choose any wifi channel, or is it restricted to region like the original Asus firmware is? (Asus RT-ac66u)

Do I have to change anything in the firmware before writing it to my router, or is as simple as writing a new firmware from Asus?

And, you're also missing some other elements besides the switch. What browser are you using?

EDIT: Nevermind...was able to recreate it. I'll post up a refresh for the beta shortly.

Thank you again John! All seems to be fine now :)

I have set up VPN as you suggested. Can you check my Syslog to see if anything is untoward? Also, the section below for routing through VPN, have I got this correct? Dunno about the 'destination IP thing?

WmVn0Bq.png

Thanking you kindly.

**Edit**

Interesting. When VPN is active, it seems to knock my download speeds to 65 down on the normal connection. Switching VPN off altogether, and it shoots back up to 76 down, which is what I normally get? Upload speeds unaffected. Strange. I do notice it lagging more when VPN is active, but I wouldn't have thought that would be affecting my non-VPN devices.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    27.1 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!