What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Glad you got it back!.....as for remembering something about N66 Ethernet....it was something I read in these forums :) I found it here....it's hard to tell how widespread the problem was.

http://www.snbforums.com/posts/81327/

EDIT: One other thought. Just as a prep for the future, you may want to look into purchasing a backup power supply. It seems that the older N66's are starting to show signs the power supplies are starting to give up, resulting in all sorts of strange symptoms.

I spoke too soon. Yesterday, LAN speed went back to 100 Mpbs. Seems like my RT-N66U is having the same problem in the thread you linked :/

I spoke too soon. Yesterday, LAN speed went back to 100 Mpbs. Seems like my RT-N66U is having the same problem in the thread you linked :/
Actually, first thing I'd try is a new cable (good quality cat6)....
then, a replacement PS.

The reference I found seemed to be more of a mfg defect, rather than something that goes bad over time.

Actually, first thing I'd try is a new cable (good quality cat6)....
then, a replacement PS.

The reference I found seemed to be more of a mfg defect, rather than something that goes bad over time.

Thanks John! Would that be a considerable hit on wifi speed for those 5GHz 300Mbps-capable devices on that N66U? Also is it possible to know if at any point the LAN port the N66U loses connection and gets back on?

@ghysler I would expect that behaviour from a N16. Myself and others have observed the same effect, on the N66U at around 130+Mbps. The N16 has a weaker CPU then the N66.

Whilst downloading at these speeds, connections to the router (GUI and SSH) becomes unresponsive, but LAN to LAN and LAN to WAN is largely unaffected.

I'd speculate that setting up QOS might improve the situation, but I haven't tried it myself.

Edit: There's a review of the N16 here (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...16-gigabit-n-router-reviewed?showall=&start=4) where it states the maximum throughput as ~140Mbps.
No, you cannot properly do QoS with an RT-N16 at 200 Mbps download speed. QoS is a pain in the butt, since it is very processor intensive. I don't use QoS and my RT-N16 handles 200 Mbps downloads very well. I have no problems with it. My CTF is truly enabled, check your CTF status under Tools (HW acceleration).

140 Mbps is the value for software NAT, with CTF enabled it is higer.

Last edited:
I just installed V18E1 on my N66U (coming from 17E8) and now JFFS is not getting mounted. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I already tried formatting JFFS and rebooting and enabling/disabling JFFS but no luck.

I just installed V18E1 on my N66U (coming from 17E8) and now JFFS is not getting mounted. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I already tried formatting JFFS and rebooting and enabling/disabling JFFS but no luck.
Go back a few posts for someone who had the same report....make sure you are selecting the 'Format at next boot', THEN PRESS 'Apply' AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE, then reboot twice in a row. A lot of times the step in caps is overlooked.

Last edited:

Fixed now... had to do a number of reboots/enable-disable jffs/format jffs. Phew! :cool:

To be honest, I'm not sure what will happen and I haven't kept track of all the changes on the TM-1900. I seem to remember that the original TM-1900 shipment CFE didn't have the lockout for other than TM-1900 code. Since you are currently on V17, you may have one of those boxes and likely will be OK as long as you NEVER try and load any ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware.

I'd give it a day or so to see if @Engineer has anything to add...

I think you've nailed it. As long as the OP stays on your firmware, should be good to go. 376.3626 might be a no go as it might contain a CFE update but I really don't remember. The only way to be sure it to change to the Asus 1.0.2.0 or 1.0.2.1 CFE for the RT-AC68U. If the OP does update to 376.3626 and it updates the CFE, the router can still be updated but it will then REQUIRE an Asus CFE and because of the tighter lockdown, it will be more difficult to do (not impossible - haven't found one so far that is impossible other than the occasional reported bricks).

Hello everyone. Just bought a A68U A2 HW ver. running firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9493. Can't find the Tools/Sysinfo page to see what CFE version I'm running...looked everywhere and can't see it. Want to go to John's fork but I want to verify the CFE...can someone point me in the right direction on the GUI running that level as to where the Sysinfo Page is located with the CFE version? Running in router mode but not configured yet. Thanks very much.

Hello everyone. Just bought a A68U A2 HW ver. running firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9493. Can't find the Tools/Sysinfo page to see what CFE version I'm running...looked everywhere and can't see it. Want to go to John's fork but I want to verify the CFE...can someone point me in the right direction on the GUI running that level as to where the Sysinfo Page is located with the CFE version? Running in router mode but not configured yet. Thanks very much.
I don't think the stock firmware has that info/page. You need to check via telnet to the router....

nvram get bl_version

Make sure you haven't enabled an option that will automatically disable hardware acceleration....any of the QoS options, IP Traffic or attaching a USB modem will turn it off.
If you have and change any of those options from on to off, reboot afterward to be safe and make sure HW acceleration is re-enabled.

I have never enabled any of these options. Because I'm sure my download rates were higher in the past, I tried to go back to the previous firmware. No change whatsoever.
Then I chose to reset all settings, and suddenly everything was back to normal! Too bad I have to reconfigure everything, but oh well, at least everything is fine again.

No, you cannot properly do QoS with an RT-N16 at 200 Mbps download speed. QoS is a pain in the butt, since it is very processor intensive. I don't use QoS and my RT-N16 handles 200 Mbps downloads very well. I have no problems with it. My CTF is truly enabled, check your CTF status under Tools (HW acceleration).

140 Mbps is the value for software NAT, with CTF enabled it is higer.

Curious, what do you mean by CTF? Prior to resetting my settings, it also showed: Hardware acceleration: Enabled.

Curious, what do you mean by CTF? Prior to resetting my settings, it also showed: Hardware acceleration: Enabled.
All names for the same thing....
CTF = Cut Through Forwarding = Hardware acceleration = NAT acceleration

I don't think the stock firmware has that info/page. You need to check via telnet to the router....

nvram get bl_version
Thanks John. Did the update and everything appeared ok except the Tools/System Info page looks very different from my AC66U device I have. Looks like a text addon and not part of the GUI. Also doesn't display temps and time up. See attached for example. Thanks very much.
upload_2016-8-6_18-3-3.png

EDIT: Resolved. Did a factory reset a second time and everything appears ok again. Just for good measure I did the firmware upgrade again and rebooted the device as it asks at the end and it worked correctly this time...guess it was just a glitch the first time. Thanks John

Last edited:
EDIT: Resolved. Did a factory reset a second time and everything appears ok again. Just for good measure I did the firmware upgrade again and rebooted the device as it asks at the end and it worked correctly this time...guess it was just a glitch the first time. Thanks John
There's a system call on the Tools page that goes haywire when a factory reset is needed to reset something (it's been reported in the past, but I've never been able to recreate it to track down which one it was, and a factory reset always clears it up)

So I was playing games on my phone and some annoying ad came up and wouldn't go away. Is is possible to know where that ad came from? How could I block it based on its IP/URL?

So I was playing games on my phone and some annoying ad came up and wouldn't go away. Is is possible to know where that ad came from? How could I block it based on its IP/URL?
If you can identify the IP address then it's a simple matter of creating a dummy entry in the hosts file on the router. This is the basis of all the "hosts-based" ad-blocking solutions that have been discussed at length elsewhere on this forum.

Have at look at those threads and the "AB-Solution" by @thelonelycoder, but if it's just that one Ad then it might be a lot easier to just install an ad-blocker app on your phone.

There is no ad-blocking built into this firmware (or Merlin's).

If you can identify the IP address then it's a simple matter of creating a dummy entry in the hosts file on the router. This is the basis of all the "hosts-based" ad-blocking solutions that have been discussed at length elsewhere on this forum.

Have at look at those threads and the "AB-Solution" by @thelonelycoder, but if it's just that one Ad then it might be a lot easier to just install an ad-blocker app on your phone.

There is no ad-blocking built into this firmware (or Merlin's).

@ColinTaylor is quick :)
Here's the link for AB-Solution (it will run on this fork)....he also has a beta going for the 1.08 release....
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ab-solution-1-07-is-out.31474/

Thanks John and Colin! Quick question: how can I find out the IP address of the ad? Any software for it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!