What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi All,

I just bought an Asus rt-68u router and want to flash it with the fork version. Unfortunately I`m very new with this and doesn`t understand the procedure to flash. When I`m reading this thread I see update available, does this mean I first need to flash is with the 'Asus' version of 374.43? and after that install this update?

Also when I want to rollback to the stock firmware is it still possible?

Please advise

Hi All,

I just bought an Asus rt-68u router and want to flash it with the fork version. Unfortunately I`m very new with this and doesn`t understand the procedure to flash. When I`m reading this thread I see update available, does this mean I first need to flash is with the 'Asus' version of 374.43? and after that install this update?

Also when I want to rollback to the stock firmware is it still possible?

Please advise
Flash it directly with the Fork and after the upgrade you absolutly need to do "Factory Default Reset" under Admin Tab and reconfig from the beginning.
Yes you can go back to Stock firmware after with another Factory Default Reset after upgrading :)

Flash it directly with the Fork and after the upgrade you absolutly need to do "Factory Default Reset" under Admin Tab and reconfig from the beginning.
Yes you can go back to Stock firmware after with another Factory Default Reset after upgrading :)

Thanks Blinkyz I will try it

Hi John,
Does the fork support 802.11ac for rt-ac68u?
I do not see that option in wireless 5ghz, only N so far.
Thanks.

Hi John,
Does the fork support 802.11ac for rt-ac68u?
I do not see that option in wireless 5ghz, only N so far.
Thanks.
Yes, you need to select 'Auto' for the wireless mode for 802.11ac connections.
If you mouse over the 'Wireless mode' text, you'll see your cursor add a little question mark...then left click and you'll get an explanation of the options (just as an FYI, many of the options have this type of pop-up help).

Thanks John. I though in merlin 378.53, we have n/ac together. If we choose auto in fork, wouldn't that include all the legacy as well?

Thanks John. I though in merlin 378.53, we have n/ac together. If we choose auto in fork, wouldn't that include all the legacy as well?
Yes, it does (if you can find a legacy 'a' only device....I think I have an 6+ year old laptop somewhere that has a-only wifi :) )

But seriously, there was a technical reason I implemented it that way. Basically, when they added AC support, they didn't change all the support code behind the mode selection as well (for example, they would restrict the channel bandwidth based on the mode) and it sometimes would make a bad decision if I tried to have an N+AC mode. Rather than try to find all of those cases, I left it as an N-Only option and use Auto for AC.

john9527 said:
Comcast IPv6 fixes for a buffer overflow condition and a potential performance improvement correcting DSCP values for some Comcast IPv4 connections (both ported from Shibby Tomato). The DSCP performance improvement has been integrated into the gui under 'Firewall/General/Enable DSCP override**'
I just got around to trying this Enable DSCP Override option and it consistently gives me >4Mbps download increase on Ookla Speed Test. Comcast users should really try that setting. It could make a difference.

Last edited:
LATEST RELEASE: Update-11E1
01-May-2015
Merlin fork 374.43_2-11E1j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1uChm3J
============================
[[/CODE]

Hey guys, I have an Asus RT-AC68u, currently running on stock firmware v. 3.0.0.4.378_4585. I never used custom firmwares or made other modifications but I'm experiencing some dead spots and a few packet loss (1 - 5%) in some areas of my apartment that are really annoying sometimes. Installing this firmware could improve my router performance by itself?

By the way, I live in Brazil, and channels 12 and 13 are allowed here. Probably my router County is set to US, considering it was bought there and I only have channels 1 to 11.

I'm also reading in another thread people talking about increase max power output to 500mW, 700mW... By the way, what's the original power setting? I can only see a bar and a percentage here, which is already in 100%.... But I have no idea of what it means in mW.

I already working on less crowded channel (6), 20mhz, router in central position, antennas in W shape... But I still need a little improvement to achieve a complete coverage of the area, so I'm considering to unlock other channels and and etc. I see a some people saying it really improved range and thoughtput. Others says higher transmit power only makes more noise, no performance gain...

So people, what's your suggestions?

Any opinions are welcome... thanks in advance!

The fork here has better range then the newer firmwares so you may consider it. Also as far as channels if you use the fork from John you can SSH/Telnet this command and it will give you all the channels. That said make sure its legal there so there are no issues with breaking the law.

# AC68U - All Region & Channels.
#
# "wl country list" List all countries.

nvram set 0:regrev=0
nvram set 1:regrev=0
nvram set 0:ccode=#a
nvram set 1:ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set wl_country_code=#a
nvram set wl_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_country=#a
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country=#a
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

The fork here has better range then the newer firmwares so you may consider it. Also as far as channels if you use the fork from John you can SSH/Telnet this command and it will give you all the channels. That said make sure its legal there so there are no issues with breaking the law.

# AC68U - All Region & Channels.
#
# "wl country list" List all countries.

nvram set 0:regrev=0
nvram set 1:regrev=0
nvram set 0:ccode=#a
nvram set 1:ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set wl_country_code=#a
nvram set wl_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_country=#a
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country=#a
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

Thanks... So, I just have to install the firmware, just like any other firmware, but after that, I need a factory reset, because I'm currently on stock asus firmware... Then reconfigure everything again. A silly question. I have no experience with SSH/Telnet. I know I have to activate those options on the administration tab. About the commands, can I copy and paste?

Well, channels 1-13 are allowed here, but not 14.

Thanks... So, I just have to install the firmware, just like any other firmware, but after that, I need a factory reset, because I'm currently on stock asus firmware... Then reconfigure everything again. A silly question. I have no experience with SSH/Telnet. I know I have to activate those options on the administration tab. About the commands, can I copy and paste?

Well, channels 1-13 are allowed here, but not 14.

Yes install the fork then do a factory reset and set up the router the way you want it. Download PUTTY a quick google search will get you the download page. Then enable either Telnet or SSH in the router. Click on the Putty icon you downloaded and select either Telnet or SSH your choice and enter 192.168.1.1 a dos command will come up copy and paste the code in the prompt then hit enter,the router will reboot then you will have all channels for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Be advised your client devices must also support any channel you want to use if not the client will not see it. I would also disable SSH or Telnet after your done if you dont plan on running more commands.

Want to add this is all for informational purposes and i take no responsibility for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wanting my fork users to feel left out after Merlin's test build release...

BETA RELEASE: Update-12BA
25-May-2015
Merlin fork 374.43_2-12BAj9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1sDtB1V
============================

Update-12BA HighLights:
  • Merlin Backports
    • Updated OpenSSL to 1.0.2a for testing. This adds new ciphers and helps gets us ahead of the year-end EOL for the current OpenSSL stream. Thanks to @Chrysalis for getting the discussion started and for his early testing.
    • Updated versions of miniupnpd and dnsmasq
    • Merlin's latest revisions for OpenVPN policy based routing (including exception rules)
    • Fix for OpenVPN not restoring DNS servers with some provider configs
    • Wait for NTP sync before starting VPN servers/clients
  • New Fork Updates
    • Removed the gui option to 'Allow local subnet forwarding' and made this the default
    • Fixed all the System Log pages so the scroll bars will only be visible under IE if they are needed :)
    • Fixed the wireless client count on the Sysinfo page to include guest clients
    • Client RSSI on the Wireless log page is now '??' if the information is not available or invalid (limitation of the older MIPS wireless drivers)
OpenVPN w/OpenSSL 1.0.2a
There is conflicting information on the web about activating TLS1.2 with OpenVPN. Recommendation is to try both ways if you are having problems. Also note that some commercial VPN providers may not be enabled to support levels above TLS1.0.
SHA256 hashes:
Code:
d8d680ed7e237dbcb4bef34797de0cec8f589337083d7bf84efaa4649b09a904 *RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BAj9527.trx
a1c807135cf52ec7660182e8c2012d94a95f71e6970dd9d802924cda03ed15ce *RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BAj9527.trx
64f9715edf9a955a47cb0a1708635aae32c7881393f19a45f436ea5d9328d117 *RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BAj9527.trx
61ce9fc21e7e4b6967bd5754e3850005982d7f3def6f3406fbd5799c7950f46a *RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BAj9527.trx
6339565345ee6b6339e2eb6cbcb6d5835226c673816cf1367fb5b94b7d8f95d0 *RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-12BAj9527.trx

The two methods do something different. The first method re-enables negotiation, allowing TLS 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 to be used (highest supported level being used). The second method will force it to TLS 1.2, preventing connecting if the other end only supports 1.0.

The first method is advisable, and is what I've been using here.

Simple problem, wondering what the potential solutions are from people who may have experienced it. I was using a different router for a while to test some new firmware and came back to this one last night (RT-AC68P). Everything is working fine, including IPv6, except the client list never finds any clients or changes from "0". The clients are all listed in the DHCP leases log, but the front page number of clients is "0", and the "client status" sub-window is always refreshing (the "working" icon just goes around and around) and doesn't list clients. As a matter of fact, it's doing that right now, trying to refresh and not listing clients.

I've power-cycled the router, and no change there. I'm hoping that there's something that I can do short of resetting to factory defaults and reconfiguring...this part has always worked for me in the past.

Update: Just reset to factory defaults, reconfigured, and still get 0 clients and continuous client status subwindow refresh. I believe though, that it was working until I enabled IPv6 and rebooted. Using v11, by the way, the latest as far as I know. I do see this in the IPv6 log:

IPv6 LAN Devices List
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hostname MAC Address IPv6 Address
android-a4bf9d5ae5498dec fc:c2:de:19:48:4e 2601:647:cb00:69f3:f958:3a40:9bac:d30d, 2601:647:cb00:69f3:fec2:deff:fe19:484e
android-a4bf9d5ae5498dec fc:c2:de:19:48:4e 2601:647:cb00:69f3:fec2:deff:fe19:484e

which oddly enough shows 2 IPv6 addresses for one phone. That must be confusing things, looks like.

Last edited:
Try powering off all your clients too and then do a router reboot. Then, power all your devices up.

the client list never finds any clients or changes from "0".
First time I've heard of that one....The only thing I can think of is if you had set your other router address to a different third octet, then changed your netmask to other than /24. Networkmap won't find devices outside of a /24 netmask if your clients kept their old ip addresses.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!