What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

By what you have posted, it looks like you have an AC68 with a current bootloader (that's the same data as my AC68R). The good news is you can use whatever firmware you like with that configuration.

By that, do you mean I can use the nvram country and TX power tweaks even if I use the latest firmware which nerfs wireless range?

By that, do you mean I can use the nvram country and TX power tweaks even if I use the latest firmware which nerfs wireless range?

No any firmware 376 and higher the tweaks wont work unless you modify the boot loader. Not something for the faint of heart. o_O

Ah right. Got it. Not sure if some of the new features of the newer firmware are worth the sacrifice in range.

Ah right. Got it. Not sure if some of the new features of the newer firmware are worth the sacrifice in range.

If you do decide to try this fork, try it first without any tweaks...by default it gives you a bit more control over the power settings.

Thanks @Kal-EL for jumping in.....sorry I wasn't clearer in my original response.

A quick question...would it be possible to support multiple vlans (like padavan firm)?. My ISP uses 3 vlans to distribute internet, TV and VoIP. If we were able to use 3 simultaneous vlans, we would be able to trash the infamous router they give us!.

A quick question...would it be possible to support multiple vlans (like padavan firm)?. My ISP uses 3 vlans to distribute internet, TV and VoIP. If we were able to use 3 simultaneous vlans, we would be able to trash the infamous router they give us!.
This question comes up periodically wrt Merlin's builds....Merlin's position has been that it's not something he wants to attempt for various reasons. If Merlin doesn't want to attempt it, it's definitely out of my realm :)

Having said that, there's nothing preventing you from setting it up via scripts and there are a couple of very knowledgeable people in this area on the forum that seem willing to help. If you do a search for 'robocfg VLAN' you'll find a lot of posts on the subject to get started.

John a warning, apologies if this is expected behaviour.

After i flashed Update-12BG the router was stuck in a bootloop, I think I have recovered it now by doing a hard reset, I guess its safer to do a reset prior to upgrading?

--edit--

Ok bad news.

After I recovered it, I then did another reset from the gui, enabled telnet, and jffs, did another reboot, and then restored my nvram settings using your tool.
However after I rebooted it was boot looping again :(

Now downgraded back to 11S3 and all is fine again, so something on this new firmware has upset the combination of my ac66 and my settings, I can send you a copy of my backup if you like.

Last edited:
hello
i have the rt16n connected as a client in a pptp server .
i have configured through the wan tab ,WAN Connection Type (pptp).
The problem i have is when the vpn server restarts then all the wifi or Ethernet clients from the rt16n they still have internet access from the open network i have normal internet access.
i think this is not correct.
i do not want this happen, how can i configure that?

Im looking to adjust the power levels for my nt-66u to increase wifi range, would this firmware be optimal to use? the nt66u is an access point for my main router ac66u. If i update to the custom firmware should I also update my ac66u? I am not sure what current asus firmware I am on, I will have to check this when I am home. Thank you

Ok bad news.
Wow....first report like that. Sorry for the difficulty, but thanks for taking the time to try the BETA and report back. I did have trouble with one backport on the MIPS routers, but thought I had it resolved. That's my first thought. I'll follow up with you in a PM.

no worries.

What I didnt do and sorry I didnt think of it is try the other beta you released, as is 2 different versions, if you want me to try I can try the earlier one.

Basically the first time the first 5 led's come on, it will then start booting again at that point.

If I have a ping going, it will respond to pings for about 1 second before it boot loops.

I switched to your fork last night. I have been using the old official 374.43 so I decided first to try the newest official Merlin firmware. Still abysmal WiFi performance on 5ghz so instead of installing 374.43 I decided on your fork as it as been about a year since release so the firmware should be pretty mature in stability. It is working great. My WiFi performance on the 5ghz band is actually a bit stronger and more stable with your firmware.

I switched to your fork last night. I have been using the old official 374.43 so I decided first to try the newest official Merlin firmware. Still abysmal WiFi performance on 5ghz so instead of installing 374.43 I decided on your fork as it as been about a year since release so the firmware should be pretty mature in stability. It is working great. My WiFi performance on the 5ghz band is actually a bit stronger and more stable with your firmware.

The fork definatelly increases range on the N66 and is probably the best firmware for this router from now and beyond. All the new 376 and higher Asus and Melin firmwares are all capped at 80 mw and this will never change. Another reason why we all appreciate John's work on this fork project. :)

Ok bad news.

Wow....first report like that. Sorry for the difficulty, but thanks for taking the time to try the BETA and report back. I did have trouble with one backport on the MIPS routers, but thought I had it resolved. That's my first thought. I'll follow up with you in a PM.

Just as an FYI we've resolved the 'boot loop' problem reported by Chrysalis on the latest beta. It was unique to MIPS routers.

I've now closed the BETA as I put the finishing touches on the final release. Target is to have V12 out in the next couple of days.

Thanks all!

Just as an FYI we've resolved the 'boot loop' problem reported by Chrysalis on the latest beta. It was unique to MIPS routers.

I've now closed the BETA as I put the finishing touches on the final release. Target is to have V12 out in the next couple of days.

Thanks all!

Excellent news. Looking forward to it.V-11 has been so stable I have been having router withdrawal because there is simply nothing to play around with. o_O

The fork definatelly increases range on the N66 and is probably the best firmware for this router from now and beyond. All the new 376 and higher Asus and Melin firmwares are all capped at 80 mw and this will never change. Another reason why we all appreciate John's work on this fork project. :)

yeah and sadly they also disable channels. e.g. I use channel 100 on 5ghz which is disabled on newer asus firmwares, my area 5ghz in the lower channels is now getting quite packed as isp supplied routers now enable 5ghz by default.

I have updated to the latest version of merlins asus firmware for n66u and ac66u. Can I flash fork over this. I am interested on increasing my 5ghz wifi performance.

I have updated to the latest version of merlins asus firmware for n66u and ac66u. Can I flash fork over this. I am interested on increasing my 5ghz wifi performance.

Yep just flash the fork and do a full factory reset and reconfigure your good to go.

All the new 376 and higher Asus and Melin firmwares are all capped at 80 mw and this will never change.
What I don't understand is when I use the official 374.43 or the fork my 5ghz power is set to 80 mw anyway but performance and range is much better than Merlin official build so how can it be capped at the same power but worse?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!