What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So no possibility of backing up current settings, rolling the upgrade in and if anything is strange - restore my settings?

To be honest - it's been a long time since I have looked at all the possible areas I have changed. Is there anyway to figure out my current settings (and record them) so if I do have to do a factory reset - I have some sort of roadmap to follow to manually reconfigure?

Can you provide any more detail on this - as I have no idea what it is :) I do know that I have no scripts or configs in this area....

Sonic.
First of all, thanks for making me company with a two year old version. Mine is the 06.

Second, I'm not sure this is what you mean but there is a tab for you to back up your settings under Administration.

Third, if you're afraid the back up won't work for whatever reason you can take screen shots of all the tabs or just the ones you changed. Phone pics work for that too (I'll finally get to use my mini tripod for that!)

Fourth, I had to look jffs up. Apparently neither one of us has that enabled. But check under Tools, and the Internal Storage row. If it's not mounted, you're not using it (i think).

Fifth, in case of failure, if you don't have the file for your 01 version, you can download it again.

Sixth, you're doing this now probably for the reason that I am. Worried that the IoT thing catches up with us lazy ones. Good luck!

I updated from 18E3 to 19E3 on some Asus RT-AC68 routers and everything was fine. When I updated an RT-AC66 router I lost the 5GHz radio. I tried flashing the 19E3 firmware again with no success. I tried flashing the 18E3 firmware to go back and the 5GHz radio was still gone. I flashed the 20E3 firware that just came out of beta and the 5GHz radio is still gone. I tried reflashing and rebooting a couple times with no success. I have quite a few more RT-AC66 routers to update but I am hesitant to do so if I loose the 5GHz radios.

Any suggestions how to resolve this issue?

Is the channel set to Auto? Can you choose a manual 5GHz channel? Did you do any customizations to use a physical switch for the radios on/off function?

So no possibility of backing up current settings, rolling the upgrade in and if anything is strange - restore my settings?

To be honest - it's been a long time since I have looked at all the possible areas I have changed. Is there anyway to figure out my current settings (and record them) so if I do have to do a factory reset - I have some sort of roadmap to follow to manually reconfigure?

Can you provide any more detail on this - as I have no idea what it is :) I do know that I have no scripts or configs in this area....

Sonic.

See john9527's excellent NVRAM Save/Restore utility.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r24.19521/

Man, the jump from 06 to 20E was flawless on my AC68U. It picked all my settings and the new stuff seem to have good default values. I'm feeling spoiled. Thanks John, this is awesome!

Just a heads up if you take photos of the tabs like I did. Maybe because of the monitor refresh, the grey background turned out awful on the photos. So check how the first picture comes out and see if you need to change the camera or monitor settings to make it easier to read the white font with a light grey background.

Man, the jump from 06 to 20E was flawless on my AC68U. It picked all my settings and the new stuff seem to have good default values. I'm feeling spoiled. Thanks John, this is awesome!

Just a heads up if you take photos of the tabs like I did. Maybe because of the monitor refresh, the grey background turned out awful on the photos. So check how the first picture comes out and see if you need to change the camera or monitor settings to make it easier to read the white font with a light grey background.

Photos of the screen? You know you can just take a screenshot (which os do you use), right? :)

I remember there being an issue at some point with needing a newer bootloader (CFE) in order to upgrade. Is this still a thing?

Model RT-AC68U
Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-15E5j9527
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.1.6

I remember there being an issue at some point with needing a newer bootloader (CFE) in order to upgrade. Is this still a thing?

Model RT-AC68U
Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-15E5j9527
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.1.6
As best as I've been able to figure out, as long as you stay with ONLY the fork levels you should be OK. The fork now tries to allocate a 64M rootfs for the ARM routers instead of a 32M space. Because of the downlevel CFE it can't. But because the firmware image is still small enough to fit in a 32M space it can still be loaded and run OK. If you ever try and load a 376 (or maybe it's 378) or later level you won't be able to until you update the CFE first.

Is the channel set to Auto? Can you choose a manual 5GHz channel? Did you do any customizations to use a physical switch for the radios on/off function?
@Just Checking - This post jarred my memory.....
If you are using any of the 'allow all channels' hacks, and the Channel is set to Auto, it's possible the router decided to switch to a channel not supported by your clients (maybe some new AP's or a new noise source showed up). If this is the case, manually pick a channel normally allowed in your region.

If this is not the case...is the LED for the 5GHz radio lit?

Photos of the screen? You know you can just take a screenshot (which os do you use), right? :)
Yes, I mentioned that as an alternative on my first post.
But instead of Alt+PntScr, Ctrl+V, F12 and type file name. I just pressed one button on my remote control gizmo.
That's eight clicks for each screenshot vs one. ;)

Paulo,

Did you need to restore anything at all or make any manual settings - or did you just fire up the new firmware and sit back and hope for the best :)

I am considering upgrading here today and will take screen shots of all my tabs to be sure.

Appreciate any tips on your process or any discoveries made during the upgrade.

Cheers!

Sonic.

just flashed 20e3, running smoothly.

Thanks John!

Seems my openvpn setup is still broken.

I did have 2 problems.

1 - in policy mode no traffic was been routed to vpn, all stayed on wan.
2 - in ALL mode, traffic was routed but dns queries timed out.

I fixed #2 with a router reboot and assumed all was good perhaps due to my previous testing the other week which I had never rebooted after, however #1 is still broken.

I had a look at iptables and the routing table, and the only reference to my vpn subnet is this

192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 tun11

None of my lan ips I put in the policy config are anywhere to be found in iptables or the routing table.

With it set to ALL I get these extra 2 lines in the routing table.

0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 128.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 tun11
128.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 128.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 tun11

So it seems the issue is that, for whatever reason the policy mode is not adding the routing table rules.

Unlike before, the updown script is now completing properly after I fixed it.

Here is the ip's that should be going over the VPN from the log.

Oct 22 16:55:05 openvpn-routing: Creating VPN routing table
Oct 22 16:55:05 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.66 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 16:55:05 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.124 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 16:55:05 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.188 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 16:55:05 openvpn-routing: Setting default VPN route via
Oct 22 16:55:05 openvpn-routing: Completed routing policy configuration for client 1

@Chrysalis - This I know is working fine.
Are you sure you are looking at the right table? table 111 (or ovpnc1) is the table for the VPN access. Last line (default) should point to the VPN.

Individual clients aren't added to the routing table, but the rules. Check 'ip rule' output. Remember WAN rules always take precedence over VPN rules.

EDIT: Other than that....don't mess with vpnrouting.sh or updown.sh :)

Last edited:
John I not touched those files, and I cannot anyway as they get copied in place, I only looked at them before to diagnose the issues I had last time.

Do you know how I can check the appropriate table?

Here is the output of ip rule

Code:
# ip rule
0:      from all lookup local
1201:   from 192.168.1.66 lookup ovpnc1
1202:   from 192.168.1.124 lookup ovpnc1
1203:   from 192.168.1.188 lookup ovpnc1
32766:  from all lookup main
32767:  from all lookup default

I have no WAN rules, just 3 VPN rules.

Looks like the problem is a blank variable causing a ip rule command to not complete, the clue is in this output note there is no ip after via.

Code:
Oct 22 17:24:55 openvpn-routing: Configuring policy rules for client 1
Oct 22 17:24:55 openvpn-routing: Creating VPN routing table
Oct 22 17:24:55 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.66 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 17:24:55 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.124 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 17:24:55 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.188 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 17:24:55 openvpn-routing: Setting default VPN route via
Oct 22 17:24:55 openvpn-routing: Completed routing policy configuration for client 1

The code in vpnrouting.sh that seems to have failed is
Code:
ip route add default via $route_vpn_gateway table $VPN_TBL

Last edited:
Looks like the problem is a blank variable causing a ip rule command to not complete, the clue is in this output note there is no ip after via.
That value is set into the environment by OpenVPN after it connects. It looks like something is wrong with your VPN setup or you are doing something special to try and run under a different user/group.

the different user.group thing is what I actually removed to fix the updown script (was never intentional but lines I copied by accident from server), if you want I can share my config with you.

Which variable in the environment do I check to see what it is set to?

Last edited:
Which variable in the environment do I check to see what it is set to?
OpenVPN sets about a dozen or so environment vars when it starts. This particular one is exactly what is being read in the scripts

route_vpn_gateway

yeah its blank, I started a conversation with you, with details about my configuration.

For the benefit of the community my openvpn issue was caused by my openvpn server needing to send a push command to announce the gateway, it used to work without it and I dont know why it worked before, but regardless I added this to the server config and now the openvpn client correctly sets the server vpn ip in the routing.

Code:
push "redirect-gateway 192.168.0.1"

Code:
Oct 22 20:33:38 openvpn-routing: Configuring policy rules for client 1
Oct 22 20:33:38 openvpn-routing: Creating VPN routing table
Oct 22 20:33:39 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.66 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 20:33:39 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.124 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 20:33:39 openvpn-routing: Added 192.168.1.188 to 0.0.0.0 through VPN to routing policy
Oct 22 20:33:39 openvpn-routing: Setting default VPN route via 192.168.0.1
Oct 22 20:33:39 openvpn-routing: Completed routing policy configuration for client 1

:)

just went from 16E3 > 20E3.

I am sort of a noob, typically my AC68U starts slowing down after time. I have a lot of people connecting in the house. How can I maximize performance?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!