What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi guys. Please enlighten me! I don't need to update the firmware if I use my AC68U in AP mode, do I?

Ahh....I misunderstood your config.....you are using a PC OpenVPN client to attach to an AC68 set up as an OpenVPN server running the fork.

First thing to confirm is that none of the options on the VPN Details page for the server have the warning message that the exported configuration requires OpenVPN 2.4.0 or later.

Second, what client are you using on the PC? My sense is that clients based on PolarSSL vs OpenSSL can be finicky.
I am using OpenVPN GUI from openvpn.net . The version is
Fri May 19 09:38:48 2017 OpenVPN 2.4.1 x86_64-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [PKCS11] [AEAD] built on Mar 22 2017
Fri May 19 09:38:48 2017 Windows version 6.1 (Windows 7) 64bit
Fri May 19 09:38:48 2017 library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2k 26 Jan 2017, LZO 2.09

I am using the community build 2.4.1

does the Samba on the Asus on this fork support SMB version 2 ? if I disable SMB1 on Windows 7 I can't connect to the usb hdd shared on the Asus, just get an error operation failed. if I re-enable SMBv1 it works fine.

with the recent 'wannacrypt' ransomware etc Microsoft are urging people to disable smbv1.

@octopus @dopefish

I tracked down the reason that the 'Auto use DFS channels' option wasn't sticking when trying to enable the DFS channels. If you would like to try an early V26beta with the fix, drop me a PM.

As far as the support for the AC56, I'd expect that the additional channels would still be visible in the channel selection dropdown, even with the above problem. It just may not be possible for the AC56. Has anyone with an AC56 tried on the latest Merlin? Are they available there?

@john9527 PM-sent

does the Samba on the Asus on this fork support SMB version 2 ? if I disable SMB1 on Windows 7 I can't connect to the usb hdd shared on the Asus, just get an error operation failed. if I re-enable SMBv1 it works fine.

with the recent 'wannacrypt' ransomware etc Microsoft are urging people to disable smbv1.
Right now the fork only supports SMB1. I hadn't ported over the update to Samba 3.6 which support SMB2. At the time, it looked like a pretty big undertaking for limited benefit....but I've learned a lot since then :) Just finished porting it over and am testing it now. Note that even on the latest Merlin, SMB2 is disabled by default (you need to enable it under his tweaks section). If I remember correctly, it's about a 10% performance hit.

And just as an FYI...if you follow Microsoft's advice and disable SMB1, it will also break network discovery in explorer and some net use commands (at least on Windows 7). It's not the router.....

Last edited:
Just finished porting it over and am testing it now. Note that even on the latest Merlin, SMB2 is disabled by default (you need to enable it under his tweaks section)

I'm considering moving that to the regular Samba page, now that this setting might be getting more interest from users.

Also, Asus implemented Samba 3.6.x in their 382 GPL codebase (tho it's only used for some new unannounced router models). I still need to compare my port to theirs, maybe harmonize mine with theirs, but enable it for all router models. I want to check first if Asus took the time to implement the size optimization patches from OpenWRT first, or if I should keep my patched code tree.

I might eventually give another shot at cross-compiling Samba 4, at least to see how performance would be like. Not sure it would fit in our limited flash space tho, as I don't have any size optimization patches for it.

Hi John, I am not sure if I missed any part in this. the 25E1 failed to auto detect the WAN connection in wizard again. It even time out upon checking when the manual PPPOE credential insert. I revert back to 25B7 for now

Could you happen to for firmware for GT-AC 5300 because the current firmware is horrible and keeps dropping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, maybe this is not specific to John's fork but I am using it ever since and really can't remember what the standard or other merlin FWs look like. ;)

I am using my AC68U in AP-mode...but still it offers to enable the guest-wifi networks in the UI.
So, what is the use? OK, I know the use case for guest -wifi, but how do I separate the networks behind the AP?
I just enabled one guest SSID for tests, connected to it and ... well, of course guests can see all my intranet as my router does not know how to identify a guest on the LAN traffic. Guests do not see the ASUS services (SAMBA on USB disks) but the rest of the other in-house world :eek:

regards,
Ford

...bump!
I am still curious on how to achieve a true Guest-WiFi when using AP-mode.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

TIA,
ford

That's where I put the option...Great minds think alike :)

Took another look at Samba 4. After an hour, I realized why I gave up in the first place, and gave up once again. Their build system is absolutely horrible for cross-compiling, you have to provide your own answer file to determine what's supported by your target environment. Think running configure and having to answer all the questions yourself...

...bump!
I am still curious on how to achieve a true Guest-WiFi when using AP-mode.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
TIA,
ford
As John says above.... There *are* threads here that discuss using VLAN tagging and FW rules to create a guest AP while in AP mode. If running through a switch to get to the Asus router, you'll need a VLAN aware switch, too. I picked up a nice HP Procurve 2810 enterprise fully managed switch off ebay for this purpose for pretty cheap. Haven't implemented it yet, maybe over the upcoming long weekend.

...thanks John and @Wisiwyg...will have to try my search-fu then.
I already do have a switch and multi-WAN router, both VLAN capable.
I'd actually prefer to transport guest and non-guest over different VLANs and assign different IP nets as well....will see how to do that.
What is strange though is, that the guest WLAN option is available in AP mode...maybe the guest traffic is already in a different VLAN already?
Can't think of a use-case for using it / enabling it otherwise.

Hi John, I am not sure if I missed any part in this. the 25E1 failed to auto detect the WAN connection in wizard again. It even time out upon checking when the manual PPPOE credential insert. I revert back to 25B7 for now
I haven't changed anything in the wizard for a long time. I did a reset to factory defaults and ran the wizard on my AC68P without any problems a couple of times.
There's only one possibility code wise I can think of, which is an intersection with the last CVE fix from ASUS, and you are going down a path I don't get to. I'll need you to try again and open the browser console and look for 'NET_ERR' type of errors (there will be a bunch of css errors also logged that are just noise).

One other thing to check is if you have any 'privacy' filter extensions installed in your browser. These can also conflict with the last ASUS CVE fix.

why doing this , murfee's law, sooner or later we (I) will be stuck!
I Have one AC56r and one AC68u I'mm willing to get stuck on 380s or above
Try running your browser with any extensions/addons disabled. I think there may be cases where some privacy type of addons may conflict with the last ASUS CVE fix.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!