What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks, I just updated the current stock one to John Fork 374, I didn't do anything with config, it retained it all from the previous config, should I reset to factory settings and re-do it again?

PS. Signal has improved slightly but not great yet.
Yes resetting to to defaults is definitely recommended. No need to flash again though. The process is flash/update THEN reset defaults. Also this fork still has the option to adjust TX power. You may want to play with that. Setting too high could actually make things worse due to creating noise. So play with it in your environment to see how it effects you. Some say that doesnt help much because is only TX power from router not back from client. RMerlin described it as yelling to someone far away so they could hear you but they still talk normal back to you. So reset defaults and look to make sure you are on the clearest channel around you. Inssider application is a good option to assist with that. Select ch 1,6, or 11 with the least amount of networks close to you using it and the least overlap. That should help as well.

Yes resetting to to defaults is definitely recommended. No need to flash again though. The process is flash/update THEN reset defaults. Also this fork still has the option to adjust TX power. You may want to play with that. Setting too high could actually make things worse due to creating noise. So play with it in your environment to see how it effects you. Some say that doesnt help much because is only TX power from router not back from client. RMerlin described it as yelling to someone far away so they could hear you but they still talk normal back to you. So reset defaults and look to make sure you are on the clearest channel around you. Inssider application is a good option to assist with that. Select ch 1,6, or 11 with the least amount of networks close to you using it and the least overlap. That should help as well.
The tx thing.. Is right.. If u set tx to big.. Its like yelling but it cant hear the phone so good.. So it can be useful.. Cuz if that the case.. The logic would be that u will get dl speed up but the ul from phone will down cause the router can't hear clearly from phone

The tx thing.. Is right.. If u set tx to big.. Its like yelling but it cant hear the phone so good.. So it can be useful.. Cuz if that the case.. The logic would be that u will get dl speed up but the ul from phone will down cause the router can't hear clearly from phone

In theory, this sounds correct, but it is not. At least not from experience with many customers and my own WiFi networks.

First, the client needs a signal that is strong enough that it can 'commit' to. Boosting the power (legally!) helps here tremendously. A couple of dB's can make the difference between an iffy connection and a solid and reliable one.

Secondly, the router's antennae are (usually) much, much, much more sensitive than any normal client's antennae are.

This is why boosting the power on 'only' one end helps.

Yes, the signal may get distorted or noise is greatly increased when the Tx power is boosted. But that is a bad design/hardware issue. Not anything else.

For a client that is receiving a signal at the edge of where it can 'commit' to it, boosting the Tx level will help (even if the signal gets distorted or noise is increased too, up to a certain level).

How I see a router and client 'talking' to each other is more like this.

The router can talk louder and listen with more sensitive ears at the same time. The client just needs to hear and be heard too.

When we're talking about normal WiFi distances inside a home or office (usually just a few feet), the signal is still many orders of magnitude higher than anything that has been sent into orbit into our solar system and beyond. What the additional Tx power is doing is offsetting the physical/environmental obstacles and the self-imposed limitations (drivers, antennae design and cost in dollars and battery life) of our devices.

These devices are talking loud enough for the router to hear them (easily). The problem is that they really don't have the same hearing as the routers they're connecting to.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

The above link shows this in action. If the router really needed the clients to 'shout louder' too, the above results would not have been seen, even remotely.

In theory, this sounds correct, but it is not. At least not from experience with many customers and my own WiFi networks.

First, the client needs a signal that is strong enough that it can 'commit' to. Boosting the power (legally!) helps here tremendously. A couple of dB's can make the difference between an iffy connection and a solid and reliable one.

Secondly, the router's antennae are (usually) much, much, much more sensitive than any normal client's antennae are.

This is why boosting the power on 'only' one end helps.

Yes, the signal may get distorted or noise is greatly increased when the Tx power is boosted. But that is a bad design/hardware issue. Not anything else.

For a client that is receiving a signal at the edge of where it can 'commit' to it, boosting the Tx level will help (even if the signal gets distorted or noise is increased too, up to a certain level).

How I see a router and client 'talking' to each other is more like this.

The router can talk louder and listen with more sensitive ears at the same time. The client just needs to hear and be heard too.

When we're talking about normal WiFi distances inside a home or office (usually just a few feet), the signal is still many orders of magnitude higher than anything that has been sent into orbit into our solar system and beyond. What the additional Tx power is doing is offsetting the physical/environmental obstacles and the self-imposed limitations (drivers, antennae design and cost in dollars and battery life) of our devices.

These devices are talking loud enough for the router to hear them (easily). The problem is that they really don't have the same hearing as the routers they're connecting to.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

The above link shows this in action. If the router really needed the clients to 'shout louder' too, the above results would not have been seen, even remotely.
So its still helps right.. It really helped here.. On my home on my park area that did not have any signal.. And i got signal now.. Even it didnt have the orig speed.. But its solid..

@L&LD honestly.. I dont think HGG fw is breaching the region regulation IF the user set only to max the country give.. Like me the router did not set to the maxed tx that my country allowed.. Thats why i use the fw.. Btw... Sorry offtopic to other fw :)

If the laws for routers (cars, washers/dryers, or, just 'things' in general) were the same all over the world, then a specific firmware can be said it is 'breaching' the law.

Thankfully, it is not the same (for good reason).

And for that reason, the firmware isn't what does the breaching; it is the individual if he/she chooses to do so.

That is who should be held accountable (rogue individuals). And Not curtail the ability to use a piece of equipment fully (as allowed by your part of the world) by controlling firmware development on veiled threats and scare tactics.

If the laws for routers (cars, washers/dryers, or, just 'things' in general) were the same all over the world, then a specific firmware can be said it is 'breaching' the law.

Thankfully, it is not the same (for good reason).

And for that reason, the firmware isn't what does the breaching; it is the individual if he/she chooses to do so.

That is who should be held accountable (rogue individuals). And Not curtail the ability to use a piece of equipment fully (as allowed by your part of the world) by controlling firmware development on veiled threats and scare tactics.

True.. If HE/SHE want to use the fw.. They shouldn't breach the regulation resulting with making the restrictions free fw to blame

Do you mean "TX Power Adjustment" setting under Wireless/Professional? It is set to 80. What's safe to increase it to? It say max 200mW, should I just try 100-120?

Ok, now I am having more problems than before (no Tx power changes yet). My iPhone can no longer connect to the 5GHz signal. 2.4 works, but not 5. Laptop doesn't have a problem.

Overall, it looks like this firmware is a bit less reliable now. Any similar experiences?

Last edited:
Do you mean "TX Power Adjustment" setting under Wireless/Professional? It is set to 80. What's safe to increase it to? It say max 200mW, should I just try 100-120?

Ok, now I am having more problems than before (no Tx power changes yet). My iPhone can no longer connect to the 5GHz signal. 2.4 works, but not 5. Laptop doesn't have a problem.

Overall, it looks like this firmware is a bit less reliable now. Any similar experiences?
Already changed 5ghz channel.. Btw the tx thing.. It depends the hardware.. If u set to high.. The noise will be to high.. Or worse the chip can burned.. But its very rare.. On ac3200 and ac5300.. Using 1Watt is fine(if ur regulations allowed it)

Already changed 5ghz channel.. Btw the tx thing.. It depends the hardware.. If u set to high.. The noise will be to high.. Or worse the chip can burned.. But its very rare.. On ac3200 and ac5300.. Using 1Watt is fine(if ur regulations allowed it)
I have an Asus RT-N66U. What is too high for Tx? It's set to 80 now. I bumped to 100. It says max 200.

I have an Asus RT-N66U. What is too high for Tx? It's set to 80 now. I bumped to 100. It says max 200.
200 should be fine tho.. Chip will be fine.. Please note 80mw and 200mw chip temp and throughput speed.. If all good.. Then u can stick with 200mw. If ur regulation allowed it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!