What's new

Frequent blips in Internet surfing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

libra1310

Occasional Visitor
Hi all
Am using Merlin's latest firmware for my RT-N66U but have been getting this since I first bought this router about 1 month ago.
The connection is very fast but every couple of minutes while surfing, the browser would seem to hang and not get into the webpage with a message
"Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address."
Then if I close the browser and reload it again, it seems to connect again...
Have tried it with Chrome, Firefox and IE and all are the same..
The router is set for "Connect to DNS Server automatically" as instructed by my cable modem operator...
This seems to happen mainly to my laptops on Windows 7 but my older laptop on Windows XP SP3 does not seem to be so affected...

Any help or suggestions greatly appreaciated.. it's quite frustrating having to reload the browser everytime it happens.. this does not seem to occur when I try out the TPlink WDR4300..

Thanks

I didnt really like what they did with the .2xx drivers. Hopefully the next driver would be much better.

Are you facing the same problems with firware .2XXX ?
Should i go downgrade to the .178 firmware??

Yes it's a similar issue but usually just with wireless, as whenever someone walks pass the router into the bedroom my wireless lags for awhile. In versions .246 and .260 those were major issues, so I'm using the earliest .2xxx version (.220 stock)which is now working fine with little to no delays when people walk pass the router.

Feel free to try the few earlier versions, and see what happens since a lot of those new radio enhancement features (GRO and etc.) are still buggy for some rt n66u owners.

EDIT: For my router it's somewhat strange... (off topic -); everytime I install a firmware, after a few days it starts having packet losses (which isn't so bad if you don't game), but for me I would need to reinstall the firmware every week (was the same for my last RT n66u router). This problem isn't entirely related... but it's been quite frustrating as well, trying to find answers to a problem that it seems like only you're having. Again just hope that the next driver they introduce for the rt n66u will solve these stability related issues.

Last edited:
Downgraded to .220 but problems still persists.. when it's connected, it's really fast but every few minutes, it will hang and have the Unable to Resolve DNS server.. which will last about 10-15 sec, either it reconnects or we have to restart the browser for it to connect again... It's really quite frustrating..
Am using a TP Link WDR4300 for the time being until I try to sort out the RT-N66...

This usually is a sign of that your ISPs DNS servers are slow on responding.

Try to set DNS servers manually to for example Google och OpenDNS and see if the problem persists.

Thanks Nerre... tried using Google DNS... does not seem to be that much better..
Still has breaks in internet connection...
Sigh..
Otherwise it's a really speedy router... but this make surfing unbearable...

Checked yet if your ethernet cable between the modem and the router was Cat5e or Cat6? Older Cat5 won't cut it.

I had the same problem like yours.
For example when i start some http downloads, the downloads stopped randomly and i had to pause them and started again.
If i didn't do this i had timeouts and corrupted downloads.

I don't know what caused this problem but on Tomato FW which i run now all are fine.

tomato_1.png

And look how many GB Download with integrated Torrent by Shibbys FW..:)

tomato_2.png

Last edited:
Hi,
Had similar issues. Seems to DNS handling is very touchy.
I had issues with my ISPs primary DNS server.
I switched to another DNS server which was less used (tested with ping and direct DNS replies).
Now I get smooth browsing, and no more issues.
Cheers

I had the same problem like yours.
For example when i start some http downloads, the downloads stopped randomly and i had to pause them and started again.
If i didn't do this i had timeouts and corrupted downloads.

I don't know what caused this problem but on Tomato FW which i run now all are fine.

View attachment 864

And look how many GB Download with integrated Torrent by Shibbys FW..:)

View attachment 865

I have similar issues at the moment. Can you tell us exactly which Tomato release you are using?

I loaded Shibby's 104 64K AIO on way to playing with Toastman's.

Once you load any of the Tomato variations you can load the "new" one via the firmware's update option and don't have to do recovery console process.

Shibby's is too busy for me. I just want USB support.