What's new

Getting Locked Out of Router & Needing Reboot...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shiggypoo

New Around Here
Hi Folks, just upgraded my relatively new RT-AC68U to the latest build of Asuswrt-Merlin and am receiving a fairly odd error message whenever I try to access the Traffic Analyzer screen. I can get to the main screen just fine, but the minute I try and leave this page to go anywhere else, one of two things happen:

1) I receive the general error message that my IP or port has changed and that the router will then log me out/back in again. According to Merlin, this is a fairly generic error message that gets relayed any time the router glitches and you try to access it or go somewhere online.

2) I get a general page cannot be displayed message from my browser.

The thing is, my internet and LAN connection do not seem to be impacted whatsoever. It's only if I try to log back into my router that I will continue to receive one of the two above errors. Is there a known issue in this most recent build? I should also mention that I did a factory default BEFORE upgrading to Merlin's firmware and also did one right after I upgraded so I can't see there being any bad settings causing the issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.19.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 12.19.59 AM.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 385
Did you verify the md5sums of the downloaded firmware files?

Don't disable the JFFS partition, the Traffic Analyzer needs it.

Hi Folks, just upgraded my relatively new RT-AC68U .........

......, I should also mention that I did a factory default BEFORE upgrading to Merlin's firmware and also did one right after I upgraded so I can't see there being any bad settings causing the issue.

Define the "factory default" you carried out. I locked myself out of my new RT-AC68U after changing the default login credentials. Only the following method fixed things. It's now my prefered method for the factory default/restore/reset....etc.

1. Power off

2. Power on holding the WPS button until the power led begins flashing

3. Release the WPS button and let the router boot up

4. Apply the new firmware and do the minimum in the wizard once it boots up

5. Repeat steps 2 and 3

6. Manually reapply settings in the gui . Reboot one final time after new settings in place

I'd reflash if I were you using the above as the "factory default/restore/reset......, whatever" and manually reset the settings, and please tell us if it fixed it.

Thanks to all for the input! Merlin was correct - I disabled the JFFS partition as I saw no need for running my own scripts and did not want the flash memory being utilized if it didn't have to. I've re-enabled it and everything is working flawlessly now.

I presume that so long as I have the Traffic Analyzer set to store in RAM that the flash memory will remain untouched? I'd rather not wear it out prematurely with a feature I probably won't be looking at very often.

And Martin, I did almost step for step what you described above but by using the reset button method instead of holding down WPS upon boot up. No password lockouts occurred, as once I rebooted the router after locking up from the Traffic Analyzer, all was fine again until I'd go back in to that option in the GUI.

You will be hard pressed to wear out the flash memory on these routers. Even if you did, a newer router at that distant future would be the obvious 'fix' for that issue in any case.

I presume that so long as I have the Traffic Analyzer set to store in RAM that the flash memory will remain untouched? I'd rather not wear it out prematurely with a feature I probably won't be looking at very often.

IPTraffic is not the same thing as Traffic Analyzer. You cannot change the location of the Traffic Analyzer data.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!