What's new

HELP: wich firmware version for N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Benna

Occasional Visitor
Well, i have my N66U since the beginning of 2013 and the first thing i've done is to replace the stock Asus firmware with the Merlin version 3.0.0.4.270.26. Yes, quite a bit older, and so i would like to update to one of the lastest release.

Now, i don't have any major issue: stong and stable Wi-fi signal, long up-time so i definitely feel good with it, but i also have some other issue such as sudden USB HD disconnect, and no way to Wake On Lan pc in my net (i need static ARP association).

With that said, which is the most stable version to upload? The lastest one 376.49 _4 i've read about some issue related to poor Wi-Fi performances.
So, should i go (for example) with 376.47 (that has just the 0 version)? or what else?

Well, i have my N66U since the beginning of 2013 and the first thing i've done is to replace the stock Asus firmware with the Merlin version 3.0.0.4.270.26. Yes, quite a bit older, and so i would like to update to one of the lastest release.

Now, i don't have any major issue: stong and stable Wi-fi signal, long up-time so i definitely feel good with it, but i also have some other issue such as sudden USB HD disconnect, and no way to Wake On Lan pc in my net (i need static ARP association).

With that said, which is the most stable version to upload? The lastest one 376.49 _4 i've read about some issue related to poor Wi-Fi performances.
So, should i go (for example) with 376.47 (that has just the 0 version)? or what else?

For the N66U i recommend John's Merlin fork 374.43_2 V-6 it dont quite have the range as the older SDK5 builds but its close and is very stable and works well. The newer 376 builds Asus or Merlins have horrible range with the N66U and if range is a issue i would stay away from the new builds. I would also stay away from the older firmware such as you are running now as they contain many security issues and are not safe.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18914

Latest Merlin build has been working well on my n-66 , very good signal , great transfer rates between computers and N A S getting between 9 and 11 MBPS transfer rate , this is with client 30 feet away with 2 walls , best transfer rates yet . No problems .

Last edited:
Latest Merlin build has been working well on my n-66 , very good signal , great transfer rates between computers and N A S getting between 9 and 11 MBPS transfer rate , this is with client 30 feet away with 2 walls , best transfer rates yet . No problems .

All my testing shows quite a drop in signal i only use the 5G band and both my roku boxes show a sharp drop in signal using 376.49_4 switching back to the fork and everything is right back to full bars. I am sure every environment will be different these are just my results.

GO LIONS !!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wht clients do the roku boxes use ? Did you do a factory reset and redo all the settings , manualy reset all settings not from old config files ?

Wht clients do the roku boxes use ? Did you do a factory reset and redo all the settings , manualy reset all settings not from old config files ?

I always do a complete factory reset and nvram clear and start all settings from scratch every time i do a firmware upgrade or downgrade. Also did a factory reset on the roku boxes and reconfigured all wireless settings. The bottom line 376.49 does not have the range on 5G as the fork does and it makes since because Asus has the 376 builds capped at 80mw.

Hi Jerry, you're using 346_49.04 version?

For the N66U i recommend John's Merlin fork 374.43_2 V-6 it dont quite have the range as the older SDK5 builds but its close and is very stable and works well. The newer 376 builds Asus or Merlins have horrible range with the N66U and if range is a issue i would stay away from the new builds. I would also stay away from the older firmware such as you are running now as they contain many security issues and are not safe.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18914

Thanks Kel-L, i'll try to install the suggested release. Should i perform a factory reset BEFORE starting the update or i can simply upload the new firmware and then reset the NVRAM right after the update process completes?

Thanks Kel-L, i'll try to install the suggested release. Should i perform a factory reset BEFORE starting the update or i can simply upload the new firmware and then reset the NVRAM right after the update process completes?

Update fw, then reset NVRAM.

Update fw, then reset NVRAM.

Another question: looking at this post:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=155407&postcount=1

i see for N66U a link called NVRAM SETTINGS poiting @ this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/9tzd7xjw9iabxa4/rt-n66u_nvram.txt

With the last 3 values to be set (You choose).

Is there something similar to be done also for 374 firmware version or is just something about newer firmware release 376 and i must not take care about?

Here i'm after few weeks of testing with the 374.43 V6 fork release.

I'm a little upset because no new feature was introduced from my old fw version (maybe many of them were changed under the hood), yes, some change in the menu and items organization but i experience greate usability problems with N Wifi, signal drop and losing connection both with laptop and smartphone, even @4 m distance.
That's the only BIG problem i have.

Here i'm after few weeks of testing with the 374.43 V6 fork release.

I'm a little upset because no new feature was introduced from my old fw version (maybe many of them were changed under the hood), yes, some change in the menu and items organization but i experience greate usability problems with N Wifi, signal drop and losing connection both with laptop and smartphone, even @4 m distance.
That's the only BIG problem i have.

Did you do a reset to factory defaults after the code update?

i did, i turned the router on while pressing the WPS button. I found everything @ default and for each screen i've configured again all the options basing on my needs.

I also upgraded from 270.26. First I went to 374.35_4SDK and it was working well enough. I decided to check out the 374.43_2 V6 build and it worked out well enough that I have stayed with it (actually on V7 now).

It is important that going from 270 build to 374.43_2 V7 (which I recommend), that you do the default reset (which you apparently did), and reboot one or two times. Also (after the upgrade) start over with each individual client device. For example, on my smart phone and laptop, I deleted/wiped the automatic connect profiles that I had been using and (manually not via WPS) re-established each device's connection with the router. Do this for both 2.4G and 5G if you used both. Sometimes a complete change of SSID and password is necessary. It's also important (in my view) that you not leave your 2.4G and 2.5G settings on Auto but pick a channel like 11 or 153. If (and whenever) you updated the WiFi driver on your laptop, check the configuration as sometimes that are alterations made in advanced settings that affect how it receives from the router.

In a nutshell, when you go from such an older (270) build to a much newer one (374), it's like starting from scratch. You should do this with every device. Nothing beats the 270,26 build for stability and strength of signal for an N66U but I have found that John's 374.43_2 V7 fork comes darn close. Despite Merlin's brilliance, I did not find that to be the case with any of the 376 builds, although some have reported otherwise.