What's new

Host domain email

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yah

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
Need a suggestion if it is feasible to setup SMTP/POP3( IMAP) server to host domain e-mail. I would want to have domain MX record pointing to my mail server.
Thanks

Hi,
Need a suggestion if it is feasible to setup SMTP/POP3( IMAP) server to host domain e-mail. I would want to have domain MX record pointing to my mail server.
Thanks

I think you are asking in the wrong forum. MX records are controlled by DNS servers not DNS clients (which is what is on these home routers).

Also, the SMTP protocol from the Internet may be blocked by your ISP unless you have a business account (to prevent spammers setting up email servers).

Edit: I had it the wrong way, outgoing SMTP may be blocked. For example from Shaw there is this question/answer about a blocked mail server.

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/3600

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been running my own mail server for a number of years, but on a small home server rather than on the router itself (ie the router is just configured to forward port 25). Get your router (or a home server) to register your current IP with a dynamic DNS service (so each time your external IP address changes, it updates the DNS service with your new IP) and then point your MX record at your dynamic DNS name.

The hard bit is deciding what you want to do to handle the torrents of spam etc - by the time you want to investigate various packages, a small linux server or similar makes a lot more sense than trying to build stuff on the router.

I now run qpsmtpd as the SMTP front end (configurable plugins for greylisting, checking with spamassassin, rejecting known spammers etc) to qmail for receiving email (including handling aliases, forwarding rules, etc) and sending it to maildirs and then run dovecot to serve the email out via IMAP and POP3. It's relatively easy to install and update all these packages on almost any linux disto (I run this on an HP N40L micro-server running Gentoo), but experimenting with options (courier-imap, postfix, etc) is going to be tricky when you only optware/entware or you're trying to cross compile all the time.

I have already NOIP DDNS account and already setup Lighttpd with php for web hosting. But my domain mail also hosted by NOIP. It's not a "10 buck save" project, but I'm just interested to get that done as a learning project, too many years with MS stuff. But really looks complicated. I have QNAP behind my router but for now all traffic routed thru OpenVPN client on the router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!