What's new

How to add and use more then 5 OpenVPN client`s configs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looks interesting. Each of my OpenVPN clients needs to be in a specific country and I want to pick countries merely by activating or deactivating the appropriate client instance. For now I will live with the 2 and explore other options later.
VPNMON at this time can use up to 3 countries... which it would randomize against, and then populate your 5 slots with 5 endpoints from that country... the next time it resets, it will again randomize against those 3 countries, again picking 5 endpoints... definitely gives you a lot of choice. If you want static slots, you can do that too... and VPNMON will just monitor your slots for when they go down, and then can either randomly pick another one of your 5 slots to connect to, or use a round-robin method, or it will pick the slot with the lowest ping.

I guess, @Kritiker needs a newer model router to fully utilize your script capabilities.

By the way, your doorbell is my remote mining rig now. Sorry. 🏴‍☠️

Hmm. At any given time I want a reasonably static presence in one of 2 to 5 countries. I want to be able to switch my router, easily from one country to another. A kill switch, rather than VPN IP hopping would be nice. Would VPNMON handle this?

By the way, your doorbell is my remote mining rig now. Sorry. 🏴‍☠️
Would it help if I keep pressing the doorbell for you? Perhaps that will make it mine a coin quicker for ya?

Would it help if I keep pressing the doorbell for you?

Give me a minute to implement the fingerprint read hack and you can press the button.

Hmm. At any given time I want a reasonably static presence in one of 2 to 5 countries. I want to be able to switch my router, easily from one country to another. A kill switch, rather than VPN IP hopping would be nice. Would VPNMON handle this?
There's nothing at all static about VPN connections unfortunately... mostly depending on internet weather and the reliability of the VPN provider. My provider (Nord) likes to reboot servers at times, shut them down, etc. Plus, there are conditions that will make them reset, such as when load or pingtime get too great. You could easily just select 1 country, and then 5 days later, go into the config, and change up the country to a different one. That would be pretty simple. A killswitch isn't going to help other than preventing unwanted traffic from going out through your WAN when a VPN connection goes down... but yeah, I've built KILLMON that integrates with VPNMON. Remember, this is SOHO equipment, and only so much can be done from a killswitch perspective. There are a lot of variables (other scripts, firmware itself, iptable events, etc.) that might mess with your killswitch, so you want to keep an eye on it.

Yes, you are right about my connections dropping from time to time. The kill switch isn't a big deal nor is the "static" IP address. I don't use either now. I could always get a static IP address in my countries of interest.

I just want to be able to switch my "presence" from Great Britain to Germany to France to the US in the course of an evening, not 5 days later, without having to Telnet in to the router. I'd just like to pick an SSID or change the VPN client for one of my SSIDs. Right now I'll continue to use my old RT-AC68U for 2 configurations, UK and Germany, three if you count no VPN as one.

Aside: I don't mind that the RT-AC68U GUI is slow. I don't really mind that I am now limited to only 2 OpenVPN configurations because that was done for performance reasons. I value stability. Also the RT-AC68U isn't my the main router, or even my only other one. I also have a bridged XB7. If the RT-AC68U crashes, we just can't watch the end of our TV program. No one else in the housie is affected. But I do have about 5 different VPN configurations that I use, mainly two of them, right now. That's as real world an example as there is. I am still using a thrice rebuilt desktop computer and am about build it anew, from scratch. I see no need to junk equipment until it no longer serves my needs.

Last edited: