What's new

How To use enable both channels on ASUS N900 router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ewwatson

Occasional Visitor
I named one WIFI2.4GHz and the other WIFI5GHz. I want to use the 5GHZ for my laptop and everything else I want using the 2.4GHz. I gave them both different names and therefore logins. Thanks!

I n the settings I seem to only get to pick 2.4 or 5. I don't see an option to enable both?

That is just the way the GUI is designed.

Did you try seeing if a dual-band device can see and connect to both SSIDs?

That is just the way the GUI is designed.

Did you try seeing if a dual-band device can see and connect to both SSIDs?

So the dual band router can or cannot do both bands at the same time???

My devices see both names in wifi settings. But I have no idea which band they are using?

If your client can see both SSIDs, the router is working on both bands simultaneously. The client will use whichever band you connect to.

A single client cannot connect to both bands simultaneously.

The OP didn't mention what model of Asus - might be dual-band, just not concurrent dual-band...

The OP didn't mention what model of Asus - might be dual-band, just not concurrent dual-band...
Good point. But the only ASUS N900 router I know of is the RT-N66U, which is concurrent dual-band.

Foriantance. Both bands have had the same name/login for the last year. So what band have I been tapping into then?

And if it's concurrent dual band then why do I set which frequency is used in the settings?

I'm a web designer and spend a great deal of time in my apple world. But when it comes to modems and routers I'm clueless lol. Hopefully that changes

Hmmm... well, if you've done firmware updates in the past, then a hard reset of the router might be the next step - there's a huge amount of knowledge over in the ASUS sub-forums, and a lot of really smart, helpful people are members over their... check it out.

Still got that question. In my wireless settings I can choose either 2.4 or 5. I cant choose "enable both". Even if both channels have separate logins only the one I have set in the wireless settings seems to work. What am I missing? And why if it broadcasts both channels does it only give me one option to choose?

Foriantance. Both bands have had the same name/login for the last year. So what band have I been tapping into then?

And if it's concurrent dual band then why do I set which frequency is used in the settings?

The frequency dropdown is simply to determine which band you are currently configuring on that page. It's not a setting in itself.

To determine which band a client connects you need to figure out which channel it's using. Otherwise, the simplest method is to use different SSIDs, which is the recommended method if you want to be able to better control where your clients are connecting.

Still got that question. In my wireless settings I can choose either 2.4 or 5. I cant choose "enable both". Even if both channels have separate logins only the one I have set in the wireless settings seems to work. What am I missing? And why if it broadcasts both channels does it only give me one option to choose?
The issue is at the client end, which is per design of the majority of network interface controllers: they can only connect to one wireless link at the time.
The RT-N66U does operate on both bands at the same time, most users connect part of the clients to 2.4 GHz and the others to 5 GHz.

[EDIT]
An individual radio can be enabled or disabled in the page:
Advanced Settings>Wireless>Professional
You can select one frequency band at a time and check or change the settings, one of the settings is: Enable Radio (Yes or No).

To verify the router is using both frequency bands you can look in the router user interface:
Advanced Settings>System Log>Wireless Log
That page tells you about the wireless radios, their SSID's, the channels and the connected clients.

Last edited:
The issue is at the client end, which is per design of the majority of network interface controllers: they can only connect to one wireless link at the time.
The RT-N66U does operate on both bands at the same time, most users connect part of the clients to 2.4 GHz and the others to 5 GHz.

[EDIT]
An individual radio can be enabled or disabled in the page:
Advanced Settings>Wireless>Professional
You can select one frequency band at a time and check or change the settings, one of the settings is: Enable Radio (Yes or No).

To verify the router is using both frequency bands you can look in the router user interface:
Advanced Settings>System Log>Wireless Log
That page tells you about the wireless radios, their SSID's, the channels and the connected clients.

Thanks bro I'll check that out. I had to rename both channels to the same names. Cuz every time I make them different my ipad logs me out of it and won't recon nose my credentials for some reason.

Its weird. Each time I've tried, whenever I add separate logins for each channel things go haywire. My ipad connately drops the signal, constantely switches bands, and constantly shuts me out won't let me even login in to get wifi. I rebooted everything each time so thats not it. When I put both bands back to the same login then it functions more reliably.

Please tell us the firmware version of your router.
Older firmware can have known wireless issues.

As discussed before: the same SSID for both bands makes it difficult to select which band you want to connect to.

It would be good for your experiments to choose totally new unique SSID's for both bands and connect to these.
Old connection profiles with an old name sometimes have difficulties to connect.

Keep in mind that in average the range of a 5 GHz signal is 1/2 or less of the range of a 2.4 GHz signal. If a client is setup to connect to both, it often finally sticks to 2.4 GHz.
I recommend to connect to one band only, depending on the purpose and distance from the router:
  • mobile devices that you carry around in the house: 2.4 GHz.
  • fixed clients in the same room as the router, or clients used to stream data: 5 GHz.
There are also IOS versions with wireless issues, you shall maybe check if your IPad is up to date.

I think you need a basic class on routers. This is noob stuff and people have explained and you still don't understand. When you re-set the router to factory specs both networks are separated. The names are ASUS and ASUS_5G. 5G is the 5GHz band. Your device will see both but can only connect to one at a time. What's so hard to understand?

Its weird. Each time I've tried, whenever I add separate logins for each channel things go haywire. My ipad connately drops the signal, constantely switches bands, and constantly shuts me out won't let me even login in to get wifi. I rebooted everything each time so thats not it. When I put both bands back to the same login then it functions more reliably.
So don't setup both SSIDs on the ipad, remove wifi profiles and connect only to one channel. Don't connect to the other at any moment to prevent ipad doing it automatically.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So don't setup both SSIDs on the ipad, remove wifi profiles and connect only to one channel. Don't connect to the other at any moment to prevent ipad doing it automatically.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes by choosing one band either 2.4 or 5 your ipad wont automatically try and connect to the other band. I suggest you go into your ipad settings and reset network settings then only set up what band you want your ipad to use case closed it will only connect to that band. Make sure you use different SSID's and different network key for each band, it will work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!