What's new

Internet Status: Disconnected?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scjr

Very Senior Member
Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue.

I’ve seen this message of Internet Status: Disconnected a couple times now under Network Map. When I get this message, there are no entries in my log. Shouldn’t there be some log entries, if the connection goes down or even entries showing the router trying to reconnect?

I then reboot the modem and I’m connected again. I have a plain setup in Merlin, other than running DoT. Is there a setting I’m missing somewhere that could be causing this?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 7F446DC5-2E20-4443-AC05-DC3D72FAA558.jpeg
    7F446DC5-2E20-4443-AC05-DC3D72FAA558.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,995
Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue.

I’ve seen this message of Internet Status: Disconnected a couple times now under Network Map. When I get this message, there are no entries in my log. Shouldn’t there be some log entries, if the connection goes down or even entries showing the router trying to reconnect?

I then reboot the modem and I’m connected again. I have a plain setup in Merlin, other than running DoT. Is there a setting I’m missing somewhere that could be causing this?

Thank you.
Disable Network Monitoring. Both DNS Query and Ping.

Disable Network Monitoring
Hi bbunge,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve always had that setting disabled. Appreciate the tip.

I should clarify the first post. When it shows disconnected, I have no access to the internet and nothing in the logs. The modem lights show it’s online. I gain access again by simply rebooting the modem.

edit: going to try a reset.

Last edited:
Hi bbunge,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve always had that setting disabled. Appreciate the tip.

I should clarify the first post. When it shows disconnected, I have no access to the internet and nothing in the logs. The modem lights show it’s online. I gain access again by simply rebooting the modem.

edit: going to try a reset.
Hmm...
Next try a new cable between the modem and router. Try a different DHCP query frequency

Hmm...
Next try a new cable between the modem and router. Try a different DHCP query frequency
Thanks. I reset to default for now and will monitor it. If it should happen again, will try your recommendations.

I had it happen last night and had to disconnect/disable Internet on the WAN then reenable to get mine working. It was a glitch and no telling why.

Hmm...
It was a glitch and no need to have everyone swap out the cables, etc between modem to router. I just disabled WAN and then reeneabled after a reboot and everything went back to normal.

I've been having this problem off and on for a while now. I think I've finally figured it out. I think it's associated with DNS resolution.

I had been turning WAN off and then back on and if that didn't work rebooting the router and lastly the modem.

In the log, I've seen messages about the WAN going down and then back up and other odd messages.

This last time I noticed that even though the router showed disconnected, my VOIP adapter was still working and connected to the internet. I'm thinking that the adapter had the IP address cached.

Also, even though the GUI showed disconnected, the WAN information showed an IP address.

In any case, I noticed there were DNS messages so I decided to remove Stubby, which I was using, and used specific IP addresses. Seems to be working so far.

Now I've got to figure out what the proper setting for DNS should be when using an OpenVPN client and see what other settings to modify. I'd like to use Stubby again but I'm not sure why it's not working.

These are just my observations and what I think is happening. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Will update if I get more observations and/or info.

Just to say I too have this issue for like a 2 or 3 weeks.

I deactivated DoT and it seems like it fixed the problem. DoT was activated for months before that, with no issues.

I'm a bit sad to have to deactivate DoT to have internet :(

Reactions: Gar
Just a small update.

After performing a factory default reset and manually entering my settings, it’s been 3 days with no issues. I hadn’t done a factory reset in several versions of firmware, so maybe it was time. If it happens again, I’ll update the thread.

Thanks to everyone for your help and tips. :)

I did a factory reset as well. It was working great for a week. But now it's disconnecting every now and then...

I don't understand what's happening.

I've have the same issue but never been able to track it down.. I made a script that tries "firewall restart" and if that fails then a reboot. It just masks the issue. This is a sampling of how often it happens to me.. @RMerlin if you want anything collected when the issue happens let me know and I can add it to my script.

Thu Oct 3 15:30:50 DST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Sun Oct 6 01:25:51 DST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Mon Oct 7 01:25:50 DST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Wed Oct 9 23:35:51 DST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Thu Oct 10 13:50:51 DST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Fri Oct 11 00:10:41 DST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Fri Oct 18 13:15:53 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Sat Oct 19 14:20:51 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Sat Oct 19 14:45:50 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Wed Oct 23 01:25:51 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Sun Oct 27 03:10:50 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Wed Oct 30 03:10:50 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Wed Oct 30 07:05:50 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Thu Oct 31 03:10:50 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Fri Nov 1 03:10:51 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Fri Nov 1 04:55:50 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Fri Nov 1 04:57:12 EST 2019 Google still not pingable after firewall restart, rebooting
Fri Nov 1 05:05:51 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Wed Nov 6 14:00:50 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall
Sun Nov 10 12:10:50 EST 2019 Google not pingable, restarting firewall

Hi everybody
Get recently this issue on my asus RT-AC88U. Internet disconnected while the router is wired to my Box et the connection to Internet ISP was good.
When I try turning WAN off and then back on, the connection return normal for 10mn to sometimes 2 hours. And then, getting the same thing: Internet disconnected.
Of course, I've done a factory reset , even with the help of the recovery mode. Nothings...

Tried also an update to the most recent firmware asus, Merlin and DD-WRT. no way.

Right now, i switch the connection to AP. Everything seems to be fine. But with thos configuration, I could not set VPN on TVs et other Sonos, nor having informations about traffics.

Any help will be appreciate.

will come back if i found answers .
keep in touch

under Administration->Basic Config->Network Monitoring.. I changed my network monitoring from ping to DNS and ping that help get rid of it for me.

@dvohwinkel
Seems to solve the problem Sir.
Until now, the connection is still fine.
Will come back in few days to confirm.

THANK YOU

Awesome!! Now if we could only figure out WHY that fixes things we could help @RMerlin get a fix.

I started getting this as well since updating to .14. I had done a nuclear reset with .13 prior and was running solid. I've had to restart my router several times now since .14. I have nothing checked on in Network Monitoring (never have)

While I think the issue was worse in later versions of the firmware, it existed for me before .12 . I had written a script to restart the firewall which seemed to clear it, though I don't think it was the firewall.

I have the same error since I made .14 update. Internet is fine but RT-AC88U indicate disconnected.
Interested by any solution.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!