What's new

Is NAS the right option for this scenario?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fkasmani

New Around Here
HI Everyone,

I'm looking at setting up a remote data backup and disaster recovery for our corporate.

According to me, I am looking at taking up a 1U rack space in a data center which would be located in an entirely different continent. As for the hardware and software, I'm looking at the Buffalo WS-RV4.0TL/R5 (http://www.provantage.com/buffalo-technology-ws-rv4-0tl-r5~7BRL9079.htm)which is based on the Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 and comes with 10 licences of the NovaBACKUP Business Essentials v12

My main concern is, setting up and managing the server remotely, as it's not possible to visit the data center facility to do the same.

Is my choice of server and software a right choice for my scenario?

Is a solution that would run out of the box or would it need any additional hardware/software, etc...?

Thanks in advance.

Any of the Windows Home Server or Storage Server products can be managed remotely via Remote Desktop. You'll just need to forward the proper ports through your router / firewall and perhaps subscribe to a dynamic DNS service.

But it would probably be a lot easier using a cloud backup / storage service provider, given that you are backing up "to another continent" anyway.

Plenty of reviews and information over at SmallCloudBuilder.

how secure is remote desktop?
I wouldn't want some hacker to "come in with me" when I'm setting up the server:eek:

By default it's not secure. But there are ways to make it more secure. Google is your friend.