What's new

Is using a USB stick a bad idea?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

and eliminate a double NAT situation <facepalm>.
A double NAT isn't a problem for most users unless they need to run a server of some sort that will be accessed from the WAN and it has no measurable impact on speeds particularly at 50/10. At over 500 Mbps maybe a speed impact.

A double NAT isn't a problem for most users unless they need to run a server of some sort that will be accessed from the WAN and it has no measurable impact on speeds particularly at 50/10. At over 500 Mbps maybe a speed impact.

Still - if it doesn’t need to be there, why have it? Plus, I’m guessing the 86u running Merlin/scripts can handle things a bit better than the ISP-provisioned Everyman box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still - if it doesn’t need to be there, why have it? Plus, I’m guessing the 86u running Merlin/scripts can handle things a bit better than the ISP-provisioned Everyman box.

Agreed, but the OP should know that eliminating a double NAT won't improve speed or in his case improving streaming for his parents. If there are issues he will need to look elsewhere as it isn't the double NAT.

Apparently it is part of the folklore of networking that double NATs slow down your network. That just isn't the case for most people.

Attachments

• DoubleNatTests.pdf
    419.7 KB · Views: 139
Common things a double NAT will bother are playing video games, downloading torrents, a sip phone service or a vpn connection.

Downloading torrents could easily have their speed crippled due to double NAT. Downloading OS updates or video game updates that are delivered by peer to peer methods could also be crippled.

Many will find the only way they can keep their job right now is if they can work from home which likely means a vpn or sip phone etc.

Common things a double NAT will bother are playing video games, downloading torrents, a sip phone service or a vpn connection.

Downloading torrents could easily have their speed crippled due to double NAT. Downloading OS updates or video game updates that are delivered by peer to peer methods could also be crippled.

Many will find the only way they can keep their job right now is if they can work from home which likely means a vpn or sip phone etc.

I’m not certain, but it’s fairly likely that one or more of the kodi add-ons used to catch up on the network television shows they watch uses torrents. And they recently got rid of their SIP/VoIP line (because they both have healthy cellular packages) that seemed to have lots of issues. The VPN is a non-starter In this case because they’re both retired. So, joining the 21st century technologically helps a pensioner couple on fixed income, something helpful in These uncertain/fluid and troubled times. (It gives me great peace of mind they’re home, safe, binging Netflix rather than hanging with their buddies at the church too).
So whilst the Captain ^ begs to differ on the effect of double NAT on their network, it’s one less issue I would have to sort out if their network runs into issues or goes down. What if he couldn’t FaceTime with his grandkids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vpn connection.

I run multiple VPN clients on my double NATed router with no issues, no port forwards, no putting the second router in the DMZ of the first, etc. If you want a VPN server or any other type of server a Port forward is required. As an experiment I setup a quad NAT and the VPN clients on both the third and fourth routers and they worked just fine.

I don't torrent or game so no personal experience to comment on regarding those activities under a double NAT.

Again the OP didn't indicate that the individuals that he is doing this for are doing any of the things you mentioned.