What's new

It does not work Internet via OpenVPN (NordVPN)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SVG

New Around Here
Good day!
So I joined this wonderful firmvare. Flashed router Asus RT-AC87U latest firmware. When you configure VPN client from NordVPN have trouble connecting. I make the settings for this tutorial https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/asustwrt-merlin/openvpn/. The problem is that the connection to the VPN server occurs, and no internet. My provider gives me internet protocol L2TP only. After spending all settings, the router connects to the VPN server. this can be seen from the log file. But the Internet is not on the local machine. I was trying to change the settings of the DNS configuration inserting the DNS of the VPN service provider (I have it NordVPN). I contacted the technical support NordVPN but they answered as follows:
Hello,

Your router natively supports only PPTP and L2TP protocols. We do support these protocols, but they are unstable, insecure and outdated. For that reason we do not recommend using them if you value your security. Also, we are dropping the support for these protocols day by day, thus in the upcoming months they will not be supported anymore. Our newest servers are already not supporting them.

Instability comes from the fact that both of these services are using pppd daemon which sometimes gets stuck and is unable to allow new users to connect to the server. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about that and the only thing you could try is connecting to multiple different servers. This is also the reason we are recommending everyone to upgrade their equipment so that they would be able to use OpenVPN.

If you do decide to use them anyways - please do that at your own risk.

Although, we would advice setting up OpenVPN connection method since your router does support this protocol.
Please follow this tutorial in order to establish a connection: https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/asustwrt-merlin/openvpn/

Let us know if you need any further assistance!

The solution was found quickly, going through all the settings in the router, go to the router via SSH port 22 (Putyy) and enter the command:

/ sbin / route add-net xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.255 dev ppp0

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - IP of your chosen OpenVPN server, take it to a file with the extension .ovpn (this configuration file)
The question is how to configure all this with router management or to automate the substitution of the VPN

Attachments

• Log.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 492
  • Снимок.JPG
    Снимок.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 562
  • Снимок1.JPG
    Снимок1.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 523

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!