What's new

Lantronix xPrintServer Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wpns

Occasional Visitor
I was also pretty disappointed with the xPrintServer, though I bought the original model.

The premise, plug it in and you can print from iThings, and the implementation (find it with bonjour, really plug and play) is stellar. I bought one for our office and it worked so well I started installing them for clients.

That's when the downside hit. It only works with something like half the printers I've tried it with, the drivers are broken or don't work, and even after updating the firmware (which helped some with reliability) I'm constantly resetting and reconfiguring them. And my (mostly SoHo) clients don't really use them, because they don't need to print from their iThings as much as they thought they would, and the silly thing doesn't work very often. And now their Macs all see this 'other' network printer, and some folks try to print to it, and now their Macs can't print.

Not a winning product, though the problem appears to be all in the drivers, as the rest of it 'feels' like an Apple product. I really had high hopes, and love the concept, but gotta say it's a real pig in a poke... If it works, and works reliably, it's wonderful, if you seem to have problems with it, get your money back. Great tech support, but that doesn't solve the problems.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!