What's new

Low link speed with Asus AC56 stick

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

buddy123

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
After upgrading my router to a Linksys WRT1900ACSv2, I decided to give a little upgrade to my older laptops in my home, that one of them is a macbook air 2012.
I bought the asus ac56 stick, downloaded latest firmware from Asus website and plugged the stick to my laptop. Both USB's are USB3.0.
I get a link speed of 144Mb/s, where my other newer laptop, that comes with AC card built-in, gets a decent 866Mb/s
In Settings->Network, the card is identified as 802.11n NIC
Why cant I get a normal AC speed?

I get a link speed of 144Mb/s, where my other newer laptop, that comes with AC card built-in, gets a decent 866Mb/s
In Settings->Network, the card is identified as 802.11n NIC

Your airport card is still active in the MacBook...

The Asus is controlled by the realtek driver util - but you need to remove the association on the Airport card first - and then turn it off.

Your airport card is still active in the MacBook...

The Asus is controlled by the realtek driver util - but you need to remove the association on the Airport card first - and then turn it off.
If I turn off the built-in wifi, it still happen. Is this not enough?
What are the correct steps to remove it then? Settings -> Network and just removing the wifi card, leaving only the Asus one there?

sounds like you are connecting to the 2.4 gig and not the 5 gig

where did you install the drives from ?

https://www.asus.com/Networking/USBAC56/HelpDesk_Download/

go to the link above and download the mac os drives and install the latest one
I know, it does sounds like that. The latest drivers are what I installed from the link mentioned

Update: I completely removed the builtin wifi card and any other interface, leaving only the asus one.
Also tried to re-install it with the latest firmware from their website, and link speed is always 144Mbps
What else can I check ?

Check their release notes - saw something about mis-reporting the link speeds

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!