What's new

News MangoPi RISC-V router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
First I've seen... let's see where this goes, but I'm thinking that RISC-V will start being "more of a thing", esp now that ARM is starting to play games with Licensing...

Question now - on the mainstream Router/AP SoC providers, who will commit to RISC-V first - Broadcom, Qualcomm, or Mediatek?

==========

Source here - https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/07/04/risc-v-router-dual-gbe-dual-usb-2-0-can-bus-rs485/

MangoPi RISC-V router specifications (preliminary):

• SoC – ArtInChip D213ECV 64-bit RISC-V (RV64IMAFDC) processor
  • System Memory – 128MB 16-bit DDR3 @ 672 MHz (SiP)
  • Storage – 256MB (2Gbit) SPI NAND flash (Winbond 25N02KVZEIR), microSD card slot (bottom side of the board)
  • Networking – 2x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 ports via Realtek RTL8211F transceiver
  • Display – FPC connector for MIPI DSI and capacitive touch
  • USB – 2x USB 2.0 ports
  • Serial
    • 2x CAN 2.0 interfaces via terminal block
    • 2-pin header for RS485 (MAX13487EESA)
  • Debugging – 3-pin UART header for serial console
  • Expansion – 22-pin header with GPIOs, UART, SPI, ADC, 5V, 3.3V, and GND
  • Misc – Reset and Boot buttons; 4x LEDs for Power, System, WAN, and LAN
  • Power Supply – 5V via USB Type-C port
  • Dimensions – 5 x 5cm

ArtInChip-D213ECV-router-SBC.jpg
RISC-V-router.jpg

When I first started networking, we had a few Sun workstations that were RISC based back in the really old days. I seem to remember it takes more instructions to perform what Intel could do in 1.

When I first started networking, we had a few Sun workstations that were RISC based back in the really old days. I seem to remember it takes more instructions to perform what Intel could do in 1.

Yes - just note that ARM is RISC... so we've all been doing RISC based computing for a long time...

RISC-V is fairly recent, and unlike other ISA's, it's open-source... there are outfits that license cores, but the ISA is still open...