What's new

Merlin Firmware Port Forward

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jafwiz

Occasional Visitor
I need to port forward with this Merlin firmware but I am confused? The first line is the name the second is
source target, the third is port range, the forth is local ip which has a drop down with my computer listed so I know to use that, fifth is local port, sixth is protocol. to port forward what needs to be in those spots?

I need to port forward with this Merlin firmware but I am confused? The first line is the name the second is
source target, the third is port range, the forth is local ip which has a drop down with my computer listed so I know to use that, fifth is local port, sixth is protocol. to port forward what needs to be in those spots?

Source target - is the public IP of the computer you want to connect FROM. If you don't want to limit that, then either put 0.0.0.0 or just leave it empty.

Port range - is the port on which you want router to listen for incoming connections.

Local port - is the port on which your computer will accept connections for the service you are opening.

Protocol- TCP/UDP is the protocol used by the application you are exposing.

Hope this helps!

used a port checker and it says port closed? I entered Port Range 4242, local ip is 192.168.1.128, local port is 4242, protocol is both?

If you go back to port forwarding screen, do you still see your entry? If yes, please post a screenshot.

Here is the screen shot

upload_2017-5-18_12-15-22.png

Ok, that looks about right. Please SSH into the router as an admin, and run the following command:

Code:
iptables -L

Post the results.

I don't know what or how to do that could you explain? I do have a VPN setup on this router.

Instructions depend on operating system you are using. For Windows, download putty. Launch it, then connect to admin@[your router IP] using port 22. When prompted, enter admin password. Then go ahead and type the iptables command I gave you earlier.

I hate to sound stupid but I downloaded Putty and launched is says Host name or ip address I put in the router ip and it says connection refused am I doing something wrong?

Please logon your router web interface, go to Administration->System tab and enable SSH access for LAN. Then try putty again.

Ok getting further when I run putty I enter 192.168.1.1 and it goes to a cmd type window. It says login as ? What do I use here I tried admin and it asks for password I don't have an admin user so no password?

What is the user you used to logon to the web ui? Use the same user and password.

It looks like you have the rule, but the destination appears to be in the incorrect format. (this is the line that has "Jaf" in it).

I chose that from the list and also tried to enter my computer ip not from the list and it still shows JAF not destination? Any way to correct this?

Ok, go back to the UI, delete what you have in there for port forwarding. Save. Then re-enter the same parameters, but this time use TCP only for protocol. Then let's look at the output of iptables -L