What's new

MOCA Network Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, updated my drawing to include Cable box.
There are 6 feeds going into house but I only know of 5 coax wall connections - I will have to figure that out
As for the MoCA side of things, the following could get you working, even if not optimal (noting the 6-way splitter is a CommScope SV-V6G, a splitter not optimized for MoCA):
  • As previously suggested, label and disconnect the DISH dish lines;
  • Get all the coax lines running into the house (*aside from the cable modem’s feed*) directly connected to the outputs of the 6-way splitter;
  • Install a 75-ohm terminator on any unused/open output of the 6-way splitter (may be 1?);
  • Install a “PoE” MoCA filter directly on the input of the 6-way splitter, with a 75-ohm terminator capping the filter’s otherwise open port.

You could try it without the MoCA filter installed on the 6-way short-term, but the filter and upgrading the 6-way to a known-good MoCA 2.x-compatible model is recommended (and should be viewed as required for a whole home MoCA 2.5 network using 5 bonded channels, so the whole of the MoCA Extended D Band, 1125-1675 MHz).).

Last edited:
Splitters:
Onn. Digital Coax 2-way splitter (5-2500MHz)
Extreme BDS102H 2-way splitter (5-1002MHz)

If I use either of these splitters in another room of the house I get connectivity with the MOCA adapter and internet test speeds are +280Mbps.

To answer above: no longer using Dish and do not plan to go back to Dish or Cable TV in future. Just using Cable Internet + VoIP

Question on direct feed to Cable Modem: if I can get this particular cable run to work (the Family Room) I plan to move the Cable Modem and the main Wireless Router from upstairs to this room (which is why I need the splitter to work), I assume I need to flip the connection in the demarcation box to keep the street connection isolated?

So if current coax connectivity looks correct, what else can I do to troubleshoot?

Ok, updated my drawing to include Cable box.

FAF08B38-B36D-4A43-8EEB-3D90D57A0A4C.png

The “House Coax 5” line would seem most problematic, in terms of achieving MoCA connectivity with devices connected via lines 1-4. Hopefully the bulleted suggestions in the previous post can get you going, even if not yet optimized.

Last edited:
What do you recommend for 6-way MOCA Splitter, 75-ohm terminator, and “PoE” MoCA filter?
What about if I move the cable modem, do I need to move the direct feed to the appropriate Coax line?

What do you recommend for 6-way MOCA Splitter, 75-ohm terminator, and “PoE” MoCA filter?
Try the bulleted changes minus these optimized components first, just to see if connectivity improves. (Recommendations applicable to the isolated modem configuration seem moot if you’re looking to move the modem.)

See my just prior post with a bulleted list of changes. This should get you working with the current (isolated modem) setup.
Today the Cable Modem and Phone Modem are both connected to the isolated coax line with a splitter. If I move the Cable Modem to a different room, and also move the corresponding isolated coax line, will the phone modem continue to work if not on the dedicated isolated line?

The “House Coax 5” line would seem most problematic, in terms of achieving MoCA connectivity with devices connected via lines 1-4. Hopefully the bulleted suggestions in the previous post can get you going, even if not yet optimized.

Update: disconnected the 2 unused Dish coax lines and the splitter they were connected to, and reconnected the line from the house (House Coax 5) back to the main splitter and BANG the adapter is now working with the splitter in-line!
Looks like it was the way this line was connected that was messing with the signal. Will retest each outlet again but looks like the problem may be resolved. Thanks to everyone for input, ideas, and recommendations!

Splitters:
Onn. Digital Coax 2-way splitter (5-2500MHz)

If I use either of these splitters in another room of the house I get connectivity with the MOCA adapter and internet test speeds are +280Mbps.

To answer above: no longer using Dish and do not plan to go back to Dish or Cable TV in future. Just using Cable Internet + VoIP

Question on direct feed to Cable Modem: if I can get this particular cable run to work (the Family Room) I plan to move the Cable Modem and the main Wireless Router from upstairs to this room (which is why I need the splitter to work), I assume I need to flip the connection in the demarcation box to keep the street connection isolated?

So if current coax connectivity looks correct, what else can I do to troubleshoot?

This splitter cannot be in the MOCA path and get MOCA 2 signal pass.

This splitter cannot be in the MOCA path and get MOCA 2 signal pass.
Yes it can.

A splitter doesn’t necessarily block (filter) MoCA signals outside the spec’d range of the splitter; the splitter just has an unspecified attenuation over the MoCA frequency range, so can’t be depended upon … and multiple of the same model splitter magnify the potential attenuation issue, *potentially* disrupting MoCA communication, at worst, and requiring the MoCA gear to work harder than needed (using more power), at best.

That said, a MoCA 2.5 network using 5 bonded channels *should* use MoCA 2.x-optimized splitters/components, so a review of the components in-use would be worthwhile once a final configuration is mapped-out.

Update: disconnected the 2 unused Dish coax lines and the splitter they were connected to, and reconnected the line from the house (House Coax 5) back to the main splitter and BANG the adapter is now working with the splitter in-line!
Looks like it was the way this line was connected that was messing with the signal. Will retest each outlet again but looks like the problem may be resolved. Thanks to everyone for input, ideas, and recommendations!
Good to hear the problematic location can now connect as expected, but I’d recommend checking the MoCA diags, again, to see what the adapters report for PHY rates. You may have room for improvement … though optimization of the current setup wouldn’t make a lot of sense if you’ll be moving the cable modem.

Yes it can.

A splitter doesn’t necessarily block (filter) MoCA signals outside the spec’d range of the splitter; the splitter just has an unspecified attenuation over the MoCA frequency range, so can’t be depended upon … and multiple of the same model splitter magnify the potential attenuation issue, *potentially* disrupting MoCA communication, at worst, and requiring the MoCA gear to work harder than needed (using more power), at best.

That said, a MoCA 2.5 network using 5 bonded channels *should* use MoCA 2.x-optimized splitters/components, so a review of the components in-use would be worthwhile once a final configuration is mapped-out.
Yep, depends on if the rolloff frequency is at -10 dB or -40 dB

What kind of tester do I need to get to figure out what cable run goes to what room?
FYI… Short of buying one of the suggested dedicated coax/line testers, you could just use a pair of MoCA adapters to identify each line. With all other MoCA adapters powered down or disconnected, connect one MoCA adapter to a room’s coax wall outlet, then use another to connect to each “house” coax line in the central junction until the adapters link. Repeat for each room, against the diminishing number of unidentified lines at the central junction.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!