What's new

mount problems (different device blocknames / double mounting )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heliosone

Regular Contributor
Hi!

I have a problem with my AC56U router.
I have several drives on my router.
A ssd on the 3.0 port (2 partitions,optware on one) / and 2.0 hub on the other port,with several drives on it.
Every reboot the drives (on both ports) get different blocknames i.e. a drive was /dev/sda1 the day before,becomes /dev/sdb1 the other day.
As I use UUID in the fstab file,thats not a big problem,but there are days,when the router assigns 2 block names for one and the same device. (this only happens for devices on the 2.0 hub)
ie. drive1 has /dev/sda1 mounted on /mnt/drive1
has then also /dev/sdc1 mounted on /mnt/drive1

when I do a ls into /mnt/drive1 it shows up empty
df shows the correct free/space on the drive.
Yet to really use it,I have to umount/remount it,then its really mounted.
I tried to overcome this bug with a script,yet I wasnt successful doing this fully automated.There are still times when a drive is "ghostly" mounted with 2 /dev blocknames.

Also on some days a drive,or two are just not mounted at all. When doing a blkid,they are listed,also when doing a mount with UUID,they get mounted correctly...

This NEVERever happend in an old firmware (from 2 years ago),it only appeared when I updated my router to 380.65-0 a few months back.
On the old firmware the devices ALWAYS had the same blockname (drive1 was always i.e. /dev/sdc1)

Is there a way to assign persistent blocknames for devices (i.e. drive1 is ALWAYS /dev/sda1 .. and so on) / or a workaround possible for the double mounting ?

Assign all the partitions a distinctive label.

Sorry, my bad. What's the syslog saying when booting, it surely reports some errors.

Is it a powered Hub? The router PSU may not provide enough to power all devices attached to it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!