What's new

Moving usb pendrive entware from usb3 to usb2 port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olndo Pindaro

Regular Contributor
I installed in my merlinizzed rt-ax86s entware with diversion in a usb pen inserted in usb3 port, now i quanto move in usb2 for freeing usb 3.0 for hd drive.

How i can do it without deinstall/renstall all? there are config file to modify?

Thanks
Olindo

I installed in my merlinizzed rt-ax86s entware with diversion in a usb pen inserted in usb3 port, now i quanto move in usb2 for freeing usb 3.0 for hd drive.

How i can do it without deinstall/renstall all? there are config file to modify?

Thanks
Olindo

Just reset and start over - and consider that USB3 will interfere with your 2.4GHz radios...

No, the port is shielded.

@Tech9 wrote

> Reset and start over is more entertaining.

that's the point...

Do the proof of concept - ensure that it works... which OP did...

then deploy into production...

Just reset and start over - and consider that USB3 will interfere with your 2.4GHz radios...
Hillarious. Really? You reinstall the OS on your computer whenever you want to plug in a device to another USB port?
My code is smarter than that.

that's the point...

My point is "reboot and reset" is represented here on SNB Forums as necessity for all Asus routers. The more often you do it the better the results. Specific forum members promote the procedure as a universal solution to all possible issues. It was surprising for me to see this coming from you.

Thanks
Olindo
Just power down the router and move the device to the desired port. Then power up again. My code does not bind the Entware device to a specific port. Never has.

My point is "reboot and reset" is represented here on SNB Forums as necessity for all Asus routers. The more often you do it the better the results. Specific forum members promote the procedure as a universal solution to all possible issues. It was surprising for me to see this coming from you.
Yeah, certain members suggest that whenever and wherever possible. I understand not everyone gets how we code things and certainly most don‘t or can‘t read the code.
I‘ve given up educating that the nuclear option is not always the best way to do it.

Hillarious. Really? You reinstall the OS on your computer whenever you want to plug in a device to another USB port?
My code is smarter than that.

Gets someone to a known/good place for debug...

Up to you otherwise - what is your time worth?

Gets someone to a known/good place for debug...

The OPs question is can the USB device be moved to another port.
We‘re not troubleshooting errors or intermittent failures of software or hardware.
I coded the logic to mount Entware - and it works 100%.
Time well spent I should think.

The 'nuclear reset' is not recommended by default. Never has been. Nor is it offered whenever and wherever possible. Please read more discriminately when I offer my help to new members.

As @sfx2000 suggests, it does get anyone trying to help and the (usually) new user to be in a known/good place for debugging purposes if the problem still exists afterward for the OP, by the more experienced (in scripts/coding) members.

This helps both ways as there is no way for anyone on a forum to guess what a user has done (previously) to their router to get it into such a state. A known/good state is worth it. Even if the issue is still present afterward, it points to a real bug in the code then (at least in their environment).

And for a new user with little technical skills (certainly, less the even I have), a few steps to get the router to a good place is faster and easier for them to do the next time seemingly random glitches happen. And even then, I've stated many times for people to do a quick search to see if they can solve it by flipping an option or two.

I don't get paid to look smart to my customers. I get paid to fix problems. The tools I use are related to the time it takes me to do so.

Many people are into looking 'good' instead of simply offering a speedy and solid solution. I have no such hangups.

Yeah, certain members suggest that whenever and wherever possible. I understand not everyone gets how we code things and certainly most don‘t or can‘t read the code.
I‘ve given up educating that the nuclear option is not always the best way to do it.
Now wait a minute. A few of us do indeed read most of the code in addons that we install. Good learning experience and often can answer a question before posting on-line.

I can't tell you how many times I have thieved @Jack Yaz code snippets. ;-)

BTW, nicely done on mount-entware.div

Vodafone UK at one point would suggest splitting the SSDs as the cure for everything! I'm sure if you told them your cat had died they'd have suggested splitting the SSIDs would fix it!

Someone else's time is worthless. Even when you have no clue what the issue or solution might be - tell everyone to reset everything including all PCs and enjoy the show. This is called trying to help around here. When you don't know the answer you don't try to help with destructive ideas.

Knowing the answer to the issue isn't needed in many cases. Knowing how to fix it is just as useful though.

People here think that distinction isn't important. Nor the time it takes to find out the 'know'. Many times, the answer is the same in the end anyway; reset to get back to a good/known state. Even if it's not every time.

Just like I don't try to help people over the phone (it is a waste of my time to find out in 30 minutes they weren't actually following all instructions), we don't know what an OP has done or is doing, when we're trying to help them here. Getting to a known state is gold. Regardless of the 'worthlessness' some people think about the help others give here 'destructively'.

See post 16 above before posting inane remarks and throwing shade to only make yourself look better. Yes, I know. The 'ignore' list used says a lot. But not about me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!