What's new

My Experiance with the RT-AC87U And No It's not Good

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am now testing the Netgear Night Hawk X4 7500. And Just from my few min of using is so far it's a night and day difference between the Asus and this.

I'll get into it more later.

Night and day difference meaning it's better? If so I need to make the swap before my ability to return these runs out!?

Night and day difference meaning it's better? If so I need to make the swap before my ability to return these runs out!?

You may want to read CNET review on the Netgear first.

Also it is just a matter of time for someone or Asus to fix your issue, I don't need more than 1 are you even sure you do. If so just hang in there, Asus is good, you may want to post on Asus forums also, I have a few times and they responded every time.

Also it is just a matter of time for someone or Asus to fix your issue, I don't need more than 1 are you even sure you do. If so just hang in there, Asus is good, you may want to post on Asus forums also, I have a few times and they responded every time.

Ouch netgear seems to have reinvented the meaning of "drop the ball" lol ok so I wait for Asus to fix
dfran1 I am running off of one right now the other 2 are unplugged until this issue gets sorted out and it is abysmal , my house is around 8000sqft and the way it is built if I don't have one on every floor I suffer huge performance loses. router on every floor between 90 and 100% signal and speed integrity with a single router at the furthest point in my home 20% (sigh) anyway I'm going to post on Asus form like you suggested
AsWell thanks
Mate

OKay here's an Updated comparsion.

The Netgear didn't have any of the UI issues that the ASUS had as far as setting sticking or what not.

Setup was easier since it had none of the bs issues.

But Here's something that I've discovered about the "Quantenna Chipset and it's Piece of shirt and here's why.

This behavior is happening on both the ASUS and the Netgear that use the Quantenna chipset.

No matter what I Try to do if I bridge/Repeater/whatever another AC Router that uses a "broadcom chip" Any connection that connects into that router that then connects to the Main Quantenna router will experience the following.

1) Constantly trying to get IP Address and failing (Experienced on Note 3/Ipad/Smart TV and Failing my Note 3 would just go into an Endless loop YAY! Until I forced a static ip)
2) Constantly Hanging for minutes at a time trying to load anything from Video/s to websites/ to doing anything. Pattern is this.

>Type a Url > Will show loading *Wait * Wait * Wait 1-2 min later it will load then same pattern over and over again making it useless. On Note3/Note2/ipads/Smart Tv's etc

3) Constantly Dropping the connection.

+ Whatever else.

The Netgear R7500 Range is worse than the AC68R/87U
The Netgear Readyshare only supports a limited number of HDD Eclosures ( I put a SSD in an enclosure and Netgear would not detect however ASUS does)
The Netgear my 2.4Ghz is stuck @ 86MB no matter what I do or how close I am even within the same room.

The Netgear's Interface is slower than ASUS (Coming from 68R) But does not bug out like the 87U.

I'm sending both these "Quantenna Garbage" Chipset routers back and sticking with my 68R's which DOES NOT show ANY of these insane lag,hanging/crap speed issues.

I have tried this over 2 models and it's basically the hardware that's crap.

The issue here is the Quantenna Chipset it seems not to like "BroadCom Based routers.

The only router at this point I'm willing to try is ASUS AC3200 X6 router that contains the same chipset for both radios

Last edited:
OKay here's an Updated comparsion.

The Netgear didn't have any of the UI issues that the ASUS had as far as setting sticking or what not.

Setup was easier since it had none of the bs issues.

But Here's something that I've discovered about the "Quantenna Chipset and it's Piece of shirt and here's why.

This behavior is happening on both the ASUS and the Netgear that use the Quantenna chipset.

No matter what I Try to do if I bridge/Repeater/whatever another AC Router that uses a "broadcom chip" Any connection that connects into that router that then connects to the Main Quantenna router will experience the following.

1) Constantly trying to get IP Address and failing (Experienced on Note 3/Ipad/Smart TV and Failing my Note 3 would just go into an Endless loop YAY! Until I forced a static ip)
2) Constantly Hanging for minutes at a time trying to load anything from Video/s to websites/ to doing anything. Pattern is this.

>Type a Url > Will show loading *Wait * Wait * Wait 1-2 min later it will load then same pattern over and over again making it useless. On Note3/Note2/ipads/Smart Tv's etc

3) Constantly Dropping the connection.

+ Whatever else.

The Netgear R7500 Range is worse than the AC68R/87U
The Netgear Readyshare only supports a limited number of HDD Eclosures ( I put a SSD in an enclosure and Netgear would not detect however ASUS does)
The Netgear my 2.4Ghz is stuck @ 86MB no matter what I do or how close I am even within the same room.

The Netgear's Interface is slower than ASUS (Coming from 68R) But does not bug out like the 87U.

I'm sending both these "Quantenna Garbage" Chipset routers back and sticking with my 68R's which DOES NOT show ANY of these insane lag,hanging/crap speed issues.

I have tried this over 2 models and it's basically the hardware that's crap.

The issue here is the Quantenna Chipset it seems not to like "BroadCom Based routers.

The only router at this point I'm willing to try is ASUS AC3200 X6 router that contains the same chipset for both radios

Wow same issues I'm having in AP mode , so you think it's hardware not software? You don't think they will release a fix?
I mean I very much doubt that Asus is going to release there flagship router with the inability to use An AP with it?

Wow same issues I'm having in AP mode , so you think it's hardware not software? You don't think they will release a fix?
I mean I very much doubt that Asus is going to release there flagship router with the inability to use An AP with it?

I can tell you I'm 99% sure it's Hardware.

1) It happens on the Netgear AC7500 X4 Nighthawk (Quantenna Different software)

2) Happens on 87U Same exact issue different software

Both routers use some kind of "Bridge" that translates between the broadcom side and the Quantenna side which I'd bet is the main issue.

You mean just like the USB 3.0 68U issues with the "interference and hardware design issue" ?

The Quantenna chip is also way limited compared to the Broadcom just look at the settings you get with it vs the BroadCom.

Anyway I think for my case the Asus AC3200 would be the best bet if the software is done right. Can setup AP + Bridge Mode devices without having the Bandwith cut down because of the separate Radios.

If I Bridge an AC66U with the 68R I get about 1170MBps link rate @ 100Feet.

If I set another 68R in AP Mode to connect to the Main 68R The Link Rate of the 66U Drops to around 350MBPS and the link rate of the 68R drops as well.

Last edited:
I can tell you I'm 99% sure it's Hardware.

1) It happens on the Netgear AC7500 X4 Nighthawk (Quantenna Different software)

2) Happens on 87U Same exact issue different software

Both routers use some kind of "Bridge" that translates between the broadcom side and the Quantenna side which I'd bet is the main issue.

You mean just like the USB 3.0 68U issues with the "interference and hardware design issue" ?

The Quantenna chip is also way limited compared to the Broadcom just look at the settings you get with it vs the BroadCom.

Anyway I think for my case the Asus AC3200 would be the best bet if the software is done right. Can setup AP + Bridge Mode devices without having the Bandwith cut down because of the separate Radios.

If I Bridge an AC66U with the 68R I get about 1170MBps link rate @ 100Feet.

If I set another 68R in AP Mode to connect to the Main 68R The Link Rate of the 66U Drops to around 350MBPS and the link rate of the 68R drops as well.

im seriously going nuts here dont know what to do should i scrap these and wait for the AC3200? RMERLIN?!! CHIME IN HERE PLEASE lol do you agree that these are not worth keeping if you require AP functions?

im seriously going nuts here dont know what to do should i scrap these and wait for the AC3200? RMERLIN?!! CHIME IN HERE PLEASE lol do you agree that these are not worth keeping if you require AP functions?

I think the 87 is the best and will be for a long time, but I don't use like you do and asus will fix things, but I think you need to post your problem in the asus forum and please post here with updates.

the 68 took a good 2-3 months to get stable for what I use it as, but the 87 has minor problems for me so far and we are only 1 month in.

I am in the exact same situation. I have 3 of these things (2 in AP mode) and my network sucks. There is the RT-AC3200 and the EA-87 AP coming but. But, I'm running out of time to return. Have you made your decision yet?

Thanks,
Tom

I practice having my routers on top of a laptop cooler and having sufficient air-flow around the equipment area.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 401
I am truly contemplating bagging the 87's and going R8000. NEVER thought I'd say that...

I tried and returned both and will stick to my AC66R until they sort this out. If I had to choose I would have kept the R8000 it was a bit more stable.

I think the best thing to do is wait for the AC3200 From Asus and give that a shot.

Right now my 2X 68R and 1X 66U are working without any issues.

I'd like to see increased data rate however and I think the AC3200 will provide that in the manner letting the different routers link to different radios and not causing there link rates to plummet down when both are linked to the main 68R's single radio.

I think the best thing to do is wait for the AC3200 From Asus and give that a shot.

Right now my 2X 68R and 1X 66U are working without any issues.

I'd like to see increased data rate however and I think the AC3200 will provide that in the manner letting the different routers link to different radios and not causing there link rates to plummet down when both are linked to the main 68R's single radio.

I would have thought they would have been out by now...

SSID

Asus believes it's the duplicate SSID. Has anyone tried changing the SSID so we don't have an "overpower" situation of wifi? In addition, how about changing the channel?

Thanks,
Tom

my rt-ac87u

I've tried bridging my rt-ac66u to it....I've tried a trendnet tew-800 media bridge with it....and tried a host of USB adapters. I've set it to N only. I've changed the channel. Did a hard reboot. Increases and decreased link speed. I'm at a loss. (finally) the problem with my RT-AC87U is.....it connects and links good. plenty of signal strength. will even surf the web. IT WILL NOT STREAM large files to WD live or Netflix without freezing on 5 GHz channel. It reconnects after about 10 to 30 seconds.... I suppose I could wait for a bios fix, unless anyone has any other troubleshooting tips?

I've tried bridging my rt-ac66u to it....I've tried a trendnet tew-800 media bridge with it....and tried a host of USB adapters. I've set it to N only. I've changed the channel. Did a hard reboot. Increases and decreased link speed. I'm at a loss. (finally) the problem with my RT-AC87U is.....it connects and links good. plenty of signal strength. will even surf the web. IT WILL NOT STREAM large files to WD live or Netflix without freezing on 5 GHz channel. It reconnects after about 10 to 30 seconds.... I suppose I could wait for a bios fix, unless anyone has any other troubleshooting tips?

Sadly no I had massive issues as well even trying to bridge ac68 to the 87u. The quantenna chip set has insane compatibility issues with other Broadcom chipsets.

New Firmware Same problem....I have insane speeds, but not stable enough to stream. It will do fine for a while...than drop..then do fine then drop.....I counted twenty nine drops in a 1.75 hour movie....unacceptable.

I think it's just because it's a new chipset. It will need awhile before they work everything out. My 87R has given me some issues which made me have to factory reset it 3 times. So far it's running fine now but we'll see.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!