What's new

Mysterious new Network device access? (Added VPN service)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJ1200

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

Can anyone explain why I now have this new access, and how to puts things back? I am concerned someone can access the network (even wirelessly) and will have access to every device.

Five days ago I purchased a VPN service, installed their app, which also installed OpenVPN Tap drivers. Three days ago I did a Windows 7 update, 50 items were updated, mostly all security stuff. Now when I click on the "Network" icon in lower left of Windows Explorer I can see every device. Before I could only see my laptop, NAS, and HP printer - now I can also see my sisters laptop, the ROKU3, PS3, Onkyo receiver. It appears I can remotely login to her laptop too!

.....before I had to use an ethernet cable into the AC66U to obtain UI access. Now I can login with my wireless connection to the same http://192.168.x.x to get UI admin access.

NETWORK CONFIGURATION (Two AC66U's):
AC66U #1 - My laptop and NAS are both connected via ethernet cable to one AC66U that does not have internet access. Both radios are turned off on this AC66U. This is basically a small LAN I wanted very secure - that only I could access.

AC66U #2 - For internet access, both my sister and myself connect our laptops wirelessly to this AC66U that is connected to the ISP via Moto surfboard modem. This "internet" AC66U connects via ethernet to the ROKU3, Onkyo, HP printer, and PS3. Both android phones are also connected via wireless to this AC66U

I should mention that IPVanish (VPN) support had me "reset my DNS settings" by using the below:
netsh int ip reset

I guess this step might have opened up my visibility to all the devices, no idea.