What's new

N66U - Routing Rules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
I'm trying to daisy-chain two routers, the Asus N66U as my primary router that is connected to the WAN and a Netgear WNR2000 that is connected to one of the LAN ports of the N66U.

I would like to have it so that each router operates independent networks, yet both still have access to the Internet. I think this is possible through the Advanced Settings, LAN, and enabling a static route on the Asus N66U but I'm unsure how to move forward.

Any advice on what settings I should apply to the Asus N66U? Appreciate the help.

Connect it Lan to Wan ip address of the RT-N66U 192.168.1.1 and change the Netgear to 192.168.2.1. You will then have 2 separate networks. This is my set up and it works great. My Asus for N devices and my WRT54GL for G devices. 2 completely separate networks. Good luck.

If you are doing this for security reason, keep in mind that users from the Netgear LAN WILL be able to access anything located on the Asus LAN (but not the other way around).

Thanks for responding sm00thpapa and RMerlin.

I have it setup as sm00thpapa suggests but I want to prevent Netgear users from seeing the Asus network as RMerlin mentions. Can I accomplish it through Asus routing rules or is this impossible without daisy-chaining the Netgear first? I really want to avoid that as it means a rewiring hassle. I just finished relocating the routers at different ends of my house. Appreciate the feedback.