What's new

NAS Ranker: Is Class By Processor Useful?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
I need your feedback, folks!

The NAS Ranker currently classes products by processor class. The intent was to allow fair comparison by grouping similarly-performing products.

But is this the most useful way? Would it be better to class products by RAID level? Or # of bays/drives?

Class by processor has been pretty confusing to me. For one thing, I found it confusing, because I didn't understand the breakdown. That is probably just my lack of knowledge though.

Secondly, it doesn't make it very easy to compare across processor types to see how much performance I need or want to buy.

Processor type probably isn't really that important when it comes down to it. Performance and price is what matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks very much for your reply.

Does protection / RAID level come into it all?

I think HDD bays would be helpful.

What I'd really like to see is performance/throughput with encryption and the same for when the NAS is performing other services, such as mail server, local cloud, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I second ranking by price, and being able to filter by drive bays, etc. I doubt anyone is going to compare a $3k device with a $800 device when looking for what to buy.

I need your feedback, folks!

The NAS Ranker currently classes products by processor class. The intent was to allow fair comparison by grouping similarly-performing products.

But is this the most useful way? Would it be better to class products by RAID level? Or # of bays/drives?

As a NAS noob, I didn't find it particularly useful. I think it's fair to rank their performance according to processor class, but as a "finder" it doesn't help me all that much. It would be much more useful to me to be able to filter based on the number of drive bays (I'm looking for 4-6) and price.

Thanks again. I agree the additional tests would be useful but available time doesn't allow expanding the test us its significantly.

Throughout hit with encryption was significant on the few products I checked.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31962-thecus-n7510-nas-server-reviewed?start=3

Some of these NASes are advertised as good for encryption (e.g. DS213+). So, that would be interesting. Ultimately, I decided on DIY, b/c I wanted a few things not on offer:

a) Good encryption performance (i.e. AES NI - CPU)
b) Ability to perform more than just NAS duties (Can an atom perform well while doing all of the other services advertised with their OSes while also performing en/decryption on the fly?)
c) Price/Expandability/Other classic reasons for DIY

Can't we begin to rely on encryption within the disk drive hardware?
If not, I'd prefer to do what I do now: virtual disk that's encrypted, stored on NAS. (SafeHome software). I don't use the NAS' encrypted folder ability because I take the file containing the virtual disk (800MB now), put that file on other media, including a USB thumb drive, so I have it when and where it's needed. Freeware SafeHome software is on the thumb drive too.

[/QUOTE]Processor type probably isn't really that important when it comes down to it. Performance and price is what matters. [/QUOTE]

I strongly believe processor is a big factor in performance and price.