What's new

NAS vs NVR

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hercules71035

New Around Here
Hi,
I have a question about NAS vs. NVR.
My situation: I have 4 Dlink DCS-2130. These cameras are able to record at 1280x800 px with H264 encoding.

My question is about NVR Dlink DNR-322L and NETGEAR ReadyNAS 102.

The first one is a NVR, so its purpose is record from IP camera. Its features are:
CPU unknown, RAM 256 MB, just 1 USB 2.0 port -> price 175 € (discounted)

The second one is a NAS with follow features:
CPU Marvell® Armada 370 1.2GHz, RAM 512 MB, 1 USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 -> price about 130 €.

Either have 2 bays, so I can use RAID 0.

So, which is the best choice?
My doubt is that the NETGEAR is not able to do this work.

Thank you for any kind of suggestion!

M.

Hi,
I have a question about NAS vs. NVR.
My situation: I have 4 Dlink DCS-2130. These cameras are able to record at 1280x800 px with H264 encoding.

My question is about NVR Dlink DNR-322L and NETGEAR ReadyNAS 102.

The first one is a NVR, so its purpose is record from IP camera. Its features are:
CPU unknown, RAM 256 MB, just 1 USB 2.0 port -> price 175 € (discounted)

The second one is a NAS with follow features:
CPU Marvell® Armada 370 1.2GHz, RAM 512 MB, 1 USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 -> price about 130 €.

Either have 2 bays, so I can use RAID 0.

So, which is the best choice?
My doubt is that the NETGEAR is not able to do this work.

Thank you for any kind of suggestion!

M.

IMO for Camera applications a NVR is a requirement. NVR will have many camera specific features a NAS would not have.

NAS is designed for the most part for file storage and access.

Have you looked at the video recording, replay, alarm event tagging, and so on in the QNAP/Synology NASes? Indeed, it's not as elaborate as a Pelco or Axis pro system, but it's quite good for a 6 camera or so SMB.

IMO for Camera applications a NVR is a requirement. NVR will have many camera specific features a NAS would not have.

So, this is true, partially. What does features specific have NVR? My camera are able to record on Server (so NAS) at specific time or on motion.

The question is about quality/price ratio, with netgear NAS I have power and expansion ports, in contrast, with Dlink NVR I have special purpose hw and just 1 usb port.

Thus, the NVR is really worth 100 € more than the NAS??

So, this is true, partially. What does features specific have NVR? My camera are able to record on Server (so NAS) at specific time or on motion.

The question is about quality/price ratio, with netgear NAS I have power and expansion ports, in contrast, with Dlink NVR I have special purpose hw and just 1 usb port.

Thus, the NVR is really worth 100 € more than the NAS??

I depends on the NVR.