What's new

Need a WiFi repeater that will re-broadcast on a new SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cloud200

Hi all,
Does anyone know of an inexpensive (less than $200) Wireless Repeater that will be able to broadcast on a different SSID than the one it is connected to?

I just need to extend a signal for a single device and there is no reasonable way to run a line there but there is power and a pretty decent signal halfway between the existing AP and the device.

The reason I want it to broadcast on a different SSID is to prevent any other clients from associating with it.

Thanks.

Not off the top of my head.

Easiest solution? Buy two RT-N66U's or better yet, two RT-AC56U's (one in Bridge mode, the other (wired) as an AP). ;)

Get a Linksys RE-7000. It's an AC1900 MU-Mimo wireless extender. Setup is super simple, and it will automatically default to the SSID of your network-EXT. It has some cool features as well such as Crossband, where it will use 5 ghz for downloads and 2.4 for uploads automatically, or you can configure other choices manually.

I think all the recent design dual-band AC class extenders do what you want.

Thanks all, ended up going with a Linksys model only because I could verify it did exactly this in the firmware emulator after seeing it partially implemented in a tp-link. The tp-link model requires that the authentication be the same as the original network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!