What's new

Need help deciding between rt-ac1900p v3 or the rt-ac68u c1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nobody knows what's different between an RT-AC1900 V1 and V3. The fact that they both appeared at the same time makes me suspect there might not be any difference and this might just be a packaging quirk. I can't see Asus going through three major revision within the course of a few weeks.

Thanks for setting me straight RMerlin.

I'll stop guessing on this now. :)

The working theory at one point was different production sites - back in the day, we had an extremely popular product, and we couldn't build enough of it, so we sub-contracted to two other factories - one in Malaysia, and one in China to supplement our own factory in Japan - same exact design, form and functional the same, but different versions to keep track of which production site (and slightly different bills of material for the misc parts due to supply chain)...

Manufactured at factory 1 or factory 3... or production line 1 or 3. Very possible this is the answer but ultimately no one knows unless someone wants to purchase both versions and visually examine them to see if there is any difference with the hardware that they could see.

What is one missing then performance wise with using an AC1900 vs the 3100? If none of my products support MU-MIMO (apple products) and 1 laptop, and my living space is 1200 Sq Ft (many walls, and outer walls are brick), running comcast gigabit service, is the 3100 overkill, and performance from the 1900 be about the same?

What is one missing then performance wise with using an AC1900 vs the 3100? If none of my products support MU-MIMO (apple products) and 1 laptop, and my living space is 1200 Sq Ft (many walls, and outer walls are brick), running comcast gigabit service, is the 3100 overkill, and performance from the 1900 be about the same?

Today, not much is missing performance wise. Tomorrow? Nobody knows for sure, but it is guaranteed it won't less than what it is today. ;)

Someone has posted their experience with the RT-AC1900P versus the RT-AC3100 and in their network environment, the RT-AC1900P was the better choice.

What is different between them right now is the SDK is much newer in the 'AC3100. The 'AC3100 also has newer/better RF design (4x4:4 antennae/streams). The 'AC3100 has double the RAM and double the NVRAM too.

Taken all together, the RT-AC3100 is the one I'd bet on for long term 'performance'. Particularly if your ISP will be offering quarter GB and upwards up/down speeds anytime soon.

Taken all together, the RT-AC3100 is the one I'd bet on for long term 'performance'. Particularly if your ISP will be offering quarter GB and upwards up/down speeds anytime soon.

My internet has gigabit connection (comcast). Are you saying these routers will perform differently? Given the specs, I would assume both would be able to get close to advertised gigabyte speeds.

My internet has gigabit connection (comcast). Are you saying these routers will perform differently? Given the specs, I would assume both would be able to get close to advertised gigabyte speeds.

First off, the spec's are not the same. And yes, they will perform differently. More so with each passing day too.