What's new

NETGEAR Debuts AC3200 Nighthawk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was going to link to that same article.

In essence, the main CPU is a dual core Broadcom and then they've added local processors on each of the 3 bands for a total of 5 CPU cores.

Basically they're offloading all wifi processing to a standalone CPU on each radio.

This is fairly common in enterprise route/switch gear.

Most 802.11ac chipsets have a dedicated ARM core to handle the MAC functions for the wireless stack - been that way for a while now - Broadcom is counting those cores, along with the dual-core implementation in the main CPU.

Going by the same logic - most 802.11ac current routers are quad-core implementations now - that includes the Asus, Netgear, Linksys, and Apple 802.11ac gear...

marchitecture, eh?

sfx

150$: old high-end N900 products, AC1200
175-180$: old AC 1750 (MIPS)
180-220$: AC 1750/AC1900 (ARM dual core)
220-250$: AC2350
275-300$: AC3200

N900's are already at the $100 price point, and I think the MIPS-based devices are on the way out, as vendors are starting to phase them out at the chipset level.

AC1750/AC1900 is already at the $180-220 real world price points, and now that most OEM's have product in that category, it will push down into the $150 range very soon as the AC2350 devices enter in...

We've already seen that the most that the market will bear is around $250 for a high-end consumer router - OEM's have tried to push the prices higher, but have met significant resistance there.

(all prices in USD)

sfx

while in the newer routers ARM is becoming alot more popular, MIPS still has alot of life left.

my EdgeRouter lite can push 940mbit WAN-->LAN with firewall on using dual core 500MHz MIPS64 CPU. (HW acceleration enabled, disabled about 280mbit/s)

as far as routing goes 1GHz total processing power is more then enough.....

User manual NETGEAR provided to me (not posted yet) has a section on OpenVPN server. So, yes, same as ASUS.

Thank you

The only reasons I have patience with Asus routers are Merlin's Software & VPN Server

If Merlin supports Netgear , I m definitely moving :D

I wish Merlin can work on the WRT1900AC. Cause lord that router needs some serious help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most 802.11ac chipsets have a dedicated ARM core to handle the MAC functions for the wireless stack - been that way for a while now - Broadcom is counting those cores, along with the dual-core implementation in the main CPU.
I think the BCM43602 is a bit different. It has local RAM and runs all radio functions locally, including 802.3 <> 802.11 conversion.

I agree on the "markitecture" point, though. I think it cheapens the image or what Broadcom really may have accomplished here. We'll see if it does the job when I test it.

MU-MIMO..

i was also thinking AC2300 might be more practical then 3200.

MU-MIMO is starting to seem like a really good idea now. and it is cool that a single device using it can create a small benefit for everything else.

but really. AC3200 + MU-MIMO sounds like the best idea to me currently. i am curious if asus or netgear plan to implement MU-MIMO on there AC3200 class routers through firmware updates in the future

AC4100 + MU-MIMO (4x4 X 2 80MHz) would also be cool

but really. AC3200 + MU-MIMO sounds like the best idea to me currently. i am curious if asus or netgear plan to implement MU-MIMO on there AC3200 class routers through firmware updates in the future
The XStream chipset does not support MU-MIMO. One of the reasons Broadcom developed it was to buy time for their MU-MIMO 4x4 chipset.

IF other device manufacturers decide to support a similar architecture, i.e. low and high band 5 GHz radios, they might also combine it with MU-MIMO.

IF it works as described, XStream has the potential to be better than MU-MIMO for solving the problems caused by mixes of slow and fast devices.

F other device manufacturers decide to support a similar architecture, i.e. low and high band 5 GHz radios, they might also combine it with MU-MIMO.

I could really use more 2.4Ghz radios myself. I know it's not practical in most situations because contention would force most users to turn them off.

But for me, I could cover my whole house with just one router if it had 1 or 2 extra 2.4Ghz radios. I'm not using APs for coverage, I'm using APs to offload clients.

while in the newer routers ARM is becoming alot more popular, MIPS still has alot of life left.

my EdgeRouter lite can push 940mbit WAN-->LAN with firewall on using dual core 500MHz MIPS64 CPU. (HW acceleration enabled, disabled about 280mbit/s)

as far as routing goes 1GHz total processing power is more then enough.....

Totally agree that MIPS has life, and the architecture performs well - just that the major chipset vendors have moved on to the ARM cores for their most recent chipsets - Broadcom, Marvell - MediaTek and QC/Atheros are still rolling out MIPS, but QC/Atheros has already indicated that they'll be using Qualcomm's Krait cores for future chipsets (Krait == ARM Cortex A9 equivalent).

sfx

I wish Merlin can work on the WRT1900AC. Cause lord that router needs some serious help.

There is nothing there for me to work on, since Belkin does not provide the source code to their firmware.

EDIT: Beside, just supporting the current handful of Asus devices I'm working with is already taking far too much of my time. There is no way I could find the time to support an entirely different platform in addition to this one I'm already juggling with.

Last edited:
The XStream chipset does not support MU-MIMO. One of the reasons Broadcom developed it was to buy time for their MU-MIMO 4x4 chipset.

IF other device manufacturers decide to support a similar architecture, i.e. low and high band 5 GHz radios, they might also combine it with MU-MIMO.

IF it works as described, XStream has the potential to be better than MU-MIMO for solving the problems caused by mixes of slow and fast devices.

Or better yet, low and high 5GHz band seperate radios + MU:MIMO :D

The only real issue I see is, you are starting to get in to hedgehog designs. I mean, the new AC3200 Nighthawk already looks a little bristly with 6 antennas potentially sticking up

Cool - nice offsite mention with a link back to SNB

http://www.dailywireless.org/2014/06/25/netgear-announces-four-radio-wifi-router/

nice :)

At the rate these routers are hitting the market as soon as you buy it it's out dated 6 months later. I hope open WRT or dd-WRT comes out soon for the WRT.

and it's ONLY $299.99.....now it is the most expensive consumer router without going pro/commercial

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!