What's new

Netgear Orbi discussion thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I set this up today and I am very happy with one SSID and the range covers my entire property. When using inSSIDer I do see two 2.4Ghz networks and two 5GHz networks. My only gripe is in the Access Control menu it is showing my entire Sonos system as being blocked. With the R7800 in place they all showed as Allowed. I tried to allow them and it does not change they all still show up as being blocked. Just wondering if this will be an issue when a system update comes out. Will my speakers be able to receive the update or will it be blocked?

Which shows

Port Status

WLAN b/g/n 400M

WLAN a/n/ac 866M

WLAN Backhaul 1733M

Now is the status the actual connection link speed or theoretical max link speed?

My wireless adapter does think its connected to the Orbi at the 866 Mbps link speed

Yes Only the backhaul is 1733 "router to satelite" on hidden 5GHz Ch think it was the 157

Ok I set this up today and I am very happy with one SSID and the range covers my entire property. When using inSSIDer I do see two 2.4Ghz networks and two 5GHz networks. My only gripe is in the Access Control menu it is showing my entire Sonos system as being blocked. With the R7800 in place they all showed as Allowed. I tried to allow them and it does not change they all still show up as being blocked. Just wondering if this will be an issue when a system update comes out. Will my speakers be able to receive the update or will it be blocked?
Apparently it is fine, and just a visual bug in the UI showing some things blocked when they are not.

I am getting this on my Orbi and was getting this on my R7800 before the swap. Am I being hacked?

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 184.168.131.241, port 80, Sunday, December 25, 2016 22:17:30
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 184.168.131.241, port 80, Sunday, December 25, 2016 22:16:28

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 184.168.131.241, port 80, Monday, December 26, 2016 00:07:38

I am getting this on my Orbi and was getting this on my R7800 before the swap. Am I being hacked?

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 184.168.131.241, port 80, Sunday, December 25, 2016 22:17:30
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 184.168.131.241, port 80, Sunday, December 25, 2016 22:16:28

That means that some script kiddie is scanning IP addresses and open ports. The background noise of the internet. This is why we use firewalls in the first place. This is a message stating the firewall in the router just protected you.

That means that some script kiddie is scanning IP addresses and open ports. The background noise of the internet. This is why we use firewalls in the first place. This is a message stating the firewall in the router just protected you.

Ok thank you for your reply. My log is full of this for the last week.

Why is there no time zone selection in the Orbi GUI? Tired of my time stamps being off 3 hours.

Why is there no time zone selection in the Orbi GUI? Tired of my time stamps being off 3 hours.

Look under "Advanced" -> "Scheduling". You'll find it there (oddly enough). The setting for DST is there as well.

Look under "Advanced" -> "Scheduling". You'll find it there (oddly enough). The setting for DST is there as well.

Thanks Roger strange place to put the time settings. I have another question below.

Does anyone know if I use both Orbi's in AP mode off the R7800 can I have 1 single SSID for all 3?

Understand the backhaul can be up to 1733

I was more trying understand the actual backhaul link rate?

That is the dedicated backhaul network link rate, 1733Mbps. So it can support the full 2.4GHz. plus 5GHz. speed with one satellite, I believe. If you have more than one satellite, then there could be competition for the 1733Mbps backhaul under high use from one or more satellites.

Ok thank you for your reply. My log is full of this for the last week.
Sorry to butt in on this thread but my log is filled with the same IP scans as well its been going on since the Netgear notification of the first big security vulnerability, I also noticed this in the netgear forums, another user with the same same IP again showing the same DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan. Is it possible this IP is probing netgear routers for vulnerabilities?

netgear_orbi_architecture2.jpg

I was more trying understand the actual backhaul link rate?
Throughput is what matters most. I find many products that don't achieve their highest link rate, even under perfect conditions, and still have high throughput.

Sorry to butt in on this thread but my log is filled with the same IP scans as well its been going on since the Netgear notification of the first big security vulnerability, I also noticed this in the netgear forums, another user with the same same IP again showing the same DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan. Is it possible this IP is probing netgear routers for vulnerabilities?
Any device attached to the internet gets constantly probed. That's why you have a firewall.

Any device attached to the internet gets constantly probed. That's why you have a firewall.

God info Tim. The thing is only some logs report DOS Attacks. I installed my 88U and the ASUS Log did not show any DOS Attacks. I went back to the Orbi system and they showed up again as there is a box to click to notify you of DOS Attacks. You can uncheck it to shut the notifications off.

"DoS" is broadly used. A true Denial of Service attack would essentially choke off your internet connection. What you are seeing are common probes that use a protocol similar to what NETGEAR classifies as that type of attack.

There is no cause for concern. One tool you may find interesting to see what's happening with your Windows systems is Glasswire. It has some cool features, including notifying you when a new device shows up on your network and when a new service connects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!