What's new

Netgear WNDR3700 shipping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

claykin

Very Senior Member
According to Yoh-Dah from Netgear Readynas support, this new dual band router just began shipping. See here: http://www.readynas.com/?p=2907

Appears to be another Atheros 9002 and 7161 CPU setup like the DIR-825 B1. I say that because they advertise 680Mhz and I know the 7161 CPU is 680Mhz. Thats not to say that there couldn't be another 680Mhz CPU, but I'm still guessing Atheros.

Netgear claims 8 antennas, so I guess it uses the Rayspan antenna array setup they've been using on several recent models. They also claim the USB port can share to multiple users simultaneously. Thats something Dlink wishes they accomplished with their lame shareport solution.

Tim, lets see a DIR-825 B1 vs WNDR3700 shootout/review. Call your friends from Dlink to let them know so hopefully they'll rush out new firmware to address the WLAN - WLAN throughput issues that plague the 825 B1 right now...

There is another ongoing discussion about the Netgear WNDR3700 here.

If there is a concurrent dual-band shootout, I think the Trendnet TEW-671BR warrants a look, if only for being priced <$100.

jdabbs, thanks.

I looked at the FCC photos. 99% its an Atheros 9002 solution like the 825 B1 and WRT400. Interesting PCB layout, and with that antenna placement it will be advisable to sit the router vertically. Completely separate antennas for 5ghz and 2.4ghz could be good. I look forward to a review on this, the 825 B1 and the Trendnet.

I'll be reviewing the WNDR3700 when NETGEAR sends it. Won't be doing the DIR-825 B1 anytime soon and I stopped reviewing Trendnet products awhile ago after being generally unimpressed with their implementation.

You guys are putting way too many hopes on performance improvements being included in revisions. As I've said before, most revisions are done for cost reduction, of if a vendor really screws up on the initial chip selection.

I'm anxious to see how well this performs compared to the WNDR3300 w/ DD-WRT firmware.
How well does that work for you? I haven't looked at the WNDR3300 since the initial disappointing review.

I'll be reviewing the WNDR3700 when NETGEAR sends it. Won't be doing the DIR-825 B1 anytime soon and I stopped reviewing Trendnet products awhile ago after being generally unimpressed with their implementation.

You guys are putting way too many hopes on performance improvements being included in revisions. As I've said before, most revisions are done for cost reduction, of if a vendor really screws up on the initial chip selection.

Tim, I'm not expecting miracles and I doubt we'll see miracles anytime soon from a consumer class solution.

While the B1 may be a revision, its also a big change for the DIR-825. They dumped the Ubicom CPU and went with a solution that nearly mimics the Atheros reference design including changing from the 9001 to 9002 chipset. The firmware appears to be linux based (a first for dlink in a long while).

Dlink also appears to have made the same switch in the DIR-655. There is a B1 coming that uses the Atheros CPU and probably linux based firmware.

Are you sure its not worth another look? Would you have looked at it if Dlink called it the DIR-826?

Would you have looked at it if Dlink called it the DIR-826?
Probably. And if D-Link had made any significant improvements, they would be foolish to not create a new product.

But this sure smells like cost reduction to me, which usually doesn't include performance improvement.

Probably. And if D-Link had made any significant improvements, they would be foolish to not create a new product.

But this sure smells like cost reduction to me, which usually doesn't include performance improvement.

I'm sure that you are aware that Dlink makes it a habit to do major revisions and use an existing model #. Remember the DI-624?

I think any other company would have given the B1 revision a new model #, but Dlink rolls a bit differently. I think its worth a test, considering that its very similar to the WRT400. If I recall correctly, you liked that router more than most....

BTW, let Dlink know you're gonna test it and I bet they'll release new firmware to address the current issues...

excellent job on the wndr3700 guys!!. The dlink product that I have also been watching is the Extreme 450 N also annouced in January which seems to promise about the same specs as the wndr3700. Netgear seems way ahead or the dlink product has already been abandoned. Of course, real comparisions can not begin until we have actual products in the wild (or at least reviewed by the press).

I wouldn't consider the 450 N and 3700 directly comparable since the 450 N will likely be the first true 3-stream router in the consumer market, while the 3700 is a rehash of an existing design. Difference in ambition.

NETGEAR WNDR3700 Review?

Can't wait for your review of the WNDR3700. Any idea when that might be?

I'm currently trying to decide between the Linksys WRT610N and the WNDR3700. I could care less about the routing features but finding dual band, dual radio N access points is nearly impossible (unless you want to pay for enterprise class equipment).

Tim, what do you feel about current and upcoming Asus wireless routers? You haven't reviewed them for quite some time.

Tim, what do you feel about current and upcoming Asus wireless routers? You haven't reviewed them for quite some time.
I tried pinging ASUS awhile ago and didn't get a response.
Any model in particular? Routers aren't really a key focus for them.

At least in Europe, Asus has quite a few memorable wireless routers with very good track record, such as the WL-500B, WL-500G, WL-500G Deluxe, WL-500G Premium, WL-500GP V2 and WL-500W.

They were typically Broadcom implementations, Linux based, dd-wrt and custom firmware friendly, USB port share and very hackable, although single band 2.4GHz only. I still use one old WL-500G with dd-wrt, works quite well!

So I'm curious about the new RT series, specially the RT-N16, specs:

CPU: Broadcom BCM4718 533MHZ
RAM: 128MB (2x 64MB)
ROM: 32MB
ETH: 4x Gigabit (LAN) 1x Gigabit (WAN)
USB Ports: 2

ASUS isn't very aggressive in marketing its network products in the U.S. They made a bit of a push back in 2003/4, but then pulled back. I reviewed their products then and liked them technically. But their user interface was pretty
badly designed.

I'll see if I can get their attention. One possible hitch is Wi-Fi Certification. Doesn't look like they are certifying all their draft N products and I only review Certified products.

If you look at WL-500W and RT-N15 specs they are 802.11n draft certified, I don't remember any non-certified models from Asus. The new RT series have a brand new UI.

RT-N16 was recently announced, I think still isn't shipping. Also curious about its new feature "All-in-one printer share" support (printing and scanning remotely).

Last edited:
I'm in contact with ASUS PR and asking about the Wi-Fi Cert for the RT-N13U and RT-N16. I always check the Wi-Fi Alliance Certification database to verify draft N product certification. There is an RT-N13, but don't know if it applies to the N13U. No RT-N16, however.

I guess they'll both be certified soon, the RT-N13U was also recently announced.