What's new

New router (after RT-AC87U fiasco)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bronek

New Around Here
Hi,

Few weeks ago I switched from a slow DSL link to fast fiber one. That forced me to say goodbye to my old Netgear. For some time I was using ancient TP-Link. Coverage was quite good - just few problems with very far corners of my house.
I decided to upgrade to something newer and dualband to get: better WAN speed, better coverage and to distribute clients (about 20 devices total) between 2.4 and 5GHz.

Internet speed improved as expected.
However, Asus with its 4 proud antennas has much worse coverage than 10 years old TP-Link with a humble single antenna. Additionally, it looks like I don't have easy "classic" way of using IP filters like on an old Neatgear allowed me to do (simultaneous white and black listed entries with easy way to turn them off/on).

As for the coverage problem I already tried changing antennas, multiple configuration options and various configuration tricks discussed on this forum (until I found this post which took all the hope away from me).

I need some advice on what to buy next:

The router is located upstairs, in a central point of 2 floor house of quite regular shape.

Must have:
-dual-band
-really good wi-fi coverage - ancient TP-link shows that it can be done ;)
-just in case: ability to boost tx power above the standard 100mW allowed in EU

Nice to have:
-IP filters: both "allow" and "deny" active at the same time, ability to define filter orders and turning the individual filters on and off.
-setting nicknames for devices of manually configured DHCP IP addresses (now half of my devices have names like "android876797765" )

So, what should I buy? ;)

Thanks
Bronek

Had the RT-AC87U myself, but did not have range issues as bad as you describe, but my 5 GHz radio was not stable at all. (On the firmware where my media bridge works, that is. Newer firmwares seems to have fixed the 5 GHz...)

Did a little reading and decided on a AC3200-class to be able to dedicate a radio for my NAS. Can report that I find the coverage of the TP-Link Archer C3200 to be quite a bit better than the RT-AC87U. Just stay away from the "Smart Connect" feature. Made my network connections unstable and unreliable.

-KJ

I'm playing with an Ubiquiti Edgerouter X and one POE access point now, my RT-AC87 is still on though. This router is not for everyone..

I went from an AC87U (which I found as buggy as hell) to a Linksys EA8500 running DD-WRT fw and the Linksys is brilliant. Maybe its something to do with Qualcomm radios on the EA8500 but I found it even gives better wifi coverage than the newer Broadcom based routers such as the AC88U.

Thanks for all the responses. Ubiquiti Edgerouter X is the solution now.
Some bugs in web gui but otherwise quite fun to use.
AC87U degraded to AP function and moved to more central place in the house.

Was going to say, if you're at least semi-skilled and you're looking to shape/queue your traffic with something like fq_codel/HTB, for the money ($50) the ER-X is where it's at for an out-of-the-box solution. And it's often a better bet to handle wifi with separate APs; either consumer all-in-one routers set as APs or purpose-built entry-level mesh stuff like Unifi, Open-Mesh, Eero, etc.