What's new

New Router: what to buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I finally bought ASUS RT-AC87U, installed the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.376.2769.
I noticed connecting with WPS (push button) works only with 2.4 Ghz band, 5 Ghz is not supported?
Now I want to connect my DAP-1522 bridge to 5 Ghz band. How do I do that?
You want to log into the Asus and turn on the 5Ghz interface, then setup the SSID, channel and security settings to your preference. Then once you have the DAP-1522 plugged into the desired switch or endpoint, log into it, and set it into Client Bridge mode, whereby it should let you select, fill in the password and connect to the 5Ghz broadcoast you just created on the Asus. Done. 5 minutes, tops.
I'd go split duty. Myself and my clients are really digging ubiquiti gear. Get their edge lite router and pro AP for around 275 and enjoy the amazingly stable secure fast environment you've created.
That's the route I recommend most people go if they have at least intermediate networking knowledge, or they're willing to invest time into learning. On a related note, the 1.6 EdgeOS release for the ERL is supposedly going to make *all* options configurable from a tree-like expandable navigation structure in the GUI, kind of like how MikroTik does it with RouterOS. Definitely looking forward to that, as it will make it much easier for non-CLI users to quickly drill down and alter any setting they like.