What's new

New to this forum. Major problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I powered off my CoreELEC device, and normally one of my other devices becomes the master. Now, nothing is my master, I have powered down my Tronsmart Windows 10 microPC, and powered it back up, but it still has not become the master. Guess I have to wait, normally it becomes the master as soon as I power it up. My Synology NAS used to become the master also, just depended on when the network picked it up.

lanscan without master browser.jpg

Windows explorer without master browser.jpg

That did not work. I powered off my Tronsmart Windows 10 microPC which was my master. Now my lanscanner app is getting an error while trying to scan my network. This happens when my CoreELEC device hijacks my master browser. Now, I will power off my CoreELEC box, and one of my other devices will become my master browser, usually one of my NAS's.
Double check that file you created. The one you attached to your previous post had formatting errors. The word "process" was wrapped from the previous line and the end of the file contained lines that should have been at the beginning.

It looks like the file in that location is located in ROM (which is fairly typical for an embedded device vs. a normal PC). So the actual configuration file is probably located elsewhere with a link to this file.

I'm not familiar at all with CoreELEC but searching with Google seems to suggest there might be an editable file located at /storage/.config/samba.conf so try that file instead.

He might have tried to edit the smb.conf file without being sudo...

That was my first thought but looking again at the error message it says "read-only file system", not "read only file".

Did some digging - It's a super lightweight linux (think JeOS from older days of Ubuntu/SUSE JeOS, or perhaps ChromiumOS would also be similar) - it's pretty much R/O except for the user storage slice... most of the FS is stateless, so it's ok to keep some of it R/O there...

I assume there is a slice for ephemeral items like config data, but how it's mapped out and mounted... I don't use any of the ELEC platforms (CoreELEC, OpenELEC, LibreELEC) so can't help much there.

@Ronnie Bailey - Might have to sort that with the CoreELEC folks over on their support forum...

Did some digging - It's a super lightweight linux (think JeOS from older days of Ubuntu/SUSE JeOS, or perhaps ChromiumOS would also be similar) - it's pretty much R/O except for the user storage slice... most of the FS is stateless, so it's ok to keep some of it R/O there...

I assume there is a slice for ephemeral items like config data, but how it's mapped out and mounted... I don't use any of the ELEC platforms (CoreELEC, OpenELEC, LibreELEC) so can't help much there.

@Ronnie Bailey - Might have to sort that with the CoreELEC folks over on their support forum...
This device did the same thing when running LibreELEC.

I will bring that up with them.

I had the same dilemma last year when some devices on the network will just drop randomly and it will even freeze my internet connections. This includes the access points, Smart tv and streaming boxes, cameras, laptops, desktops, wireless handheld devices including NAS and printers.

I have check all wiring thru out the house one by one including replacing some switch, RJ45 jack and wires to routers as access points. I also used an Asus router to handle as the main router using several brands of none manage switches. It is really a hair pulling experience.

It took me several months to figure out those random drop outs. The solution I did was to build a new itx with Kaby Lake pc dual core 8 gigs memory and bought a used Intel 4 port server nic and run Pfsense. I also got rid of all the switch and bought Ubiquiti Unifi switches and access points.

It's been running 24/7 for almost 10 months none stop and not a single drop out. The only time the router gets rebooted is for a making big configurations and upgrading the firmware. The ghost are gone!

Since I had several custom water cooling parts lying around from my previous build, I water cooled the CPU including the network card and I was happy as a clam.

https://imgur.com/nHzzU8F

Also make sure your modem is in bridge mode.

Last edited:
I had the same dilemma last year when some devices on the network will just drop randomly and it will even freeze my internet connections. This includes the access points, Smart tv and streaming boxes, cameras, laptops, desktops, wireless handheld devices including NAS and printers.

I have check all wiring thru out the house one by one including replacing some switch, RJ45 jack and wires to routers as access points. I also used an Asus router to handle as the main router using several brands of none manage switches. It is really a hair pulling experience.

It took me several months to figure out those random drop outs. The solution I did was to build a new itx with Kaby Lake pc dual core 8 gigs memory and bought a used Intel 4 port server nic and run Pfsense. I also got rid of all the switch and bought Ubiquiti Unifi switches and access points.

It's been running 24/7 for almost 10 months none stop and not a single drop out. The only time the router gets rebooted is for a making big configurations and upgrading the firmware. The ghost are gone!

Since I had several custom water cooling parts lying around from my previous build, I water cooled the CPU including the network card and I was happy as a clam.

https://imgur.com/nHzzU8F

Also make sure your modem is in bridge mode.

That is interesting, but I don't won't to go to that extreme.. There has to be a more simpler answer the the question of why........

Since it has been 13 days now, since the last time my devices have dropped off the network, I guess it is time to stop posting. Sadly, I have no idea what caused the issue or what cured it.

I am almost positive it is NOT a networking, or device specific, hardware problem, since I either replaced or swapped almost all of my networking equipment. I have removed and replaced all of my networked devices from my network with varying degrees of success. Each time, I replaced a different piece of networking equipment, and went 2 or 3 days without any of my devices dropping off the network, I would **think** the problem was solved, only to be disillusioned when the next day my devices dropped off the network.

Since my devices that were dropping off the network, had only my router in common or the incoming power from outside, I was thinking about the power issue. As a retired industrial electrician, I know how bad the incoming voltage can be, lots of spikes and sags. Is it a coincidence that I received a card from DTE Energy saying that they currently updated their equipment, and that it has improvements to the power quality, just after my issues stopped? DTE technical dept. reps were supposed to call me on the phone so I could discuss what they did, but I have still not received that call.

All I can do at this point, is cross my fingers that this issue has been put to bed. I have used the same or similar setup for years, and have NEVER had any of my devices drop off my network.

The tech from my electric company finally called me today and had some answers but not all. She said the work order showed the job completed September 25 or 27th, don't recall the date exactly, but it falls in the time frame that my devices stopped dropping off the network. She said they replaced some poles and fuses. Should could not answer the biggest question of all, WHEN DID YOU START that project.

I swapped/replaced almost everything that had to do with the transfer of data on my network, and problem persisted. The problem JUST STOPPED, and I have no idea what caused it or what cured it. Being a retired industrial electrician, I know that alternating current and transmission of that voltage is very "dirty". Lots of spikes and sags, that plays havoc with electronics. But, my devices NEVER lost power, just lost communication. When my Dahua camera lost communication, I had to power cycle it for it to work again, same for my other devices that dropped off my network.

Check if there are any firmware updates on all your devices. Cameras in particular are vulnerable to attacks. I would also check any vulnerabilities on you modem too. Check also those POE brick. Make sure those poe are functioning well because sometimes upgrading firmware with bad poe can result to bricking your device so be warned.

Some cameras including IOT sends packets outside your network without you knowing it It's like "ET phone home". I would check any NTP settings on you router including other device . some IOT need a stun server. I have seen some IOT device if he can't get outside of your network, it will just drop by itself sending errors.

Asus is a nice router but they are limited in terms of features especially if you have lots of devices connected into the network. They are trouble free if bought brand new but if you let it sit for number of years, problems will start to come out later.

Check Asus power supply too. they are prone to have bad caps which will result to intermittent problems. I would also advice if you can update to Merlin firmware. Save your router config file and restore to new firmware. Some users advice to manually configure from scratch.

I would also check those Dc jacks on your Modem, Asus router and switches including bad capacitors on power supply especially if you plug them 24/7 for number of years. I found 2 Asus RTN16 have bloated capacitors. The router will just disappear at random and it would freeze my internet connection into a screeching halt.

The lesson I have learn is that any device have EOL. They end product support and they want you to buy new one.

Last edited:
Check if there are any firmware updates on all your devices. Cameras in particular are vulnerable to attacks. I would also check any vulnerabilities on you modem too. Check also those POE brick. Make sure those poe are functioning well because sometimes upgrading firmware with bad poe can result to bricking your device so be warned.

Some cameras including IOT sends packets outside your network without you knowing it It's like "ET phone home". I would check any NTP settings on you router including other device . some IOT need a stun server. I have seen some IOT device if he can't get outside of your network, it will just drop by itself sending errors.

Asus is a nice router but they are limited in terms of features especially if you have lots of devices connected into the network. They are trouble free if bought brand new but if you let it sit for number of years, problems will start to come out later.

Check Asus power supply too. they are prone to have bad caps which will result to intermittent problems. I would also advice if you can update to Merlin firmware. Save your router config file and restore to new firmware. Some users advice to manually configure from scratch.

I would also check those Dc jacks on your Modem, Asus router and switches including bad capacitors on power supply especially if you plug them 24/7 for number of years. I found 2 Asus RTN16 have bloated capacitors. The router will just disappear at random and it would freeze my internet connection into a screeching halt.

The lesson I have learn is that any device have EOL. They end product support and they want you to buy new one.

That is a lot of information to absorb.

One last thing to do is to use Lan tester and test any network cable expose to weather or near plumbing and heat pipes. For outdoor UTP cable use shielded cat 5 or 6. None shielded cable can be use outdoor if its a brand new cable but it will only last for 2 to 3 years on adverse weather condition.

I found one none shield UTP cable that has been exposed to rain and sunlight and after several years it was grounded.

It does seem strange that when I talked to the tech from my electrical power company, she said they completed their work around the same time as my problems went away. Without some data about the condition of the voltage coming into my dwelling, I can't make a statement that their power was causing my devices to drop off my network.

Now fast forward to today. I was meandering through the electronic dept. at Walmart this morning. Suddenly, there in front of me was an APC branded battery back-UPS. It is listed as a 450VA/255 watts with 2.3 hours of runtime. Since I only have 5 IP cameras connected to POE switches which I am making an educated guess that they draw approximately 6 watts each, so 30 watts. I also have an older Synology DS 211j NAS which draws 23 Watts (I only power it on occasionally as a backup to my backup).

In the same cabinet, I have 1 - 8 port Ethernet switch, 1 - 4 port POE switch (for 4 of my cams), 1 - POE Ethernet adapter for my 5th camera.

I have 3 Android boxes that feed into the 8 port Ethernet switch, they only draw around 10 watts each, max. Lastly, I have a Tronsmart Ara X5 microPC connected to the 8 port Ethernet switch, and it draws 15 amps max.

So, I have a total usage of less than 100 watts. Since the UPS is quoted at 255 watts, I should be good to go.....

In other words, the only thing in the cabinet are my switches and my spare Synology NAS, and my Ethernet cables.

Any comments on my calculations???

thanks.

If you don't use the full 225 watts then you will get a littler longer run time. Hopefully it has a power reading. I think APC are the best. I have used them for over 20 years. Some of them you can set up a server to constantly monitor the power or so you can have a log of power voltages over time.

You may need to download software for the monitoring. It would be neat if they had software for your NAS.

If you don't use the full 225 watts then you will get a littler longer run time. Hopefully it has a power reading. I think APC are the best. I have used them for over 20 years. Some of them you can set up a server to constantly monitor the power or so you can have a log of power voltages over time.

You may need to download software for the monitoring. It would be neat if they had software for your NAS.
It is very, very basic, no display at all.. How would you monitor it if it does not have any network connection?

Model # BN450M APC