What's new

New to this forum. Major problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Help needed to select UPS for entertainment center....

Quantity of 1 Samsung 4k 65" TV, M/N UN65KU6500

Quantity of 1 Yamaha AVR M/N RX-A880 feeding 5 medium sized speakers (wall mounted), and one self powered sub woofer.

Quantity of 1 PS3, rarely powered on.

Quantity of 1 Synology NAS M/N DS 216+ with external HD attached (self powered).

Quantity of 1 WD MyCloud NAS (1 bay).

Quantity of 1 HikVision 4 POE port NVR (no cams connected to it).

Quantity of 1 HDHomeRun OTA networked tuner (should be less than 10 watts draw).

Quantity of 8 Android boxes (all less than 10 watts of power draw).

I do NOT want something that cost a lot of $$$$$$. Just the basic with surge suppression, or power fluctuation...... Just something to help protect my electronics, specifically my TV and AVR, since they are the most expensive.

Right now, I am using something like this... Is it even necessary to replace my power strip with a UPS???

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...et-with-Phone-Splitter-Protection-120V/P-P8T3

However, I am thinking about getting one for my entertainment center..........
Looking at that model a bit closer it seems that the monitoring is done over a USB port. So to take full advantage of that you'd need to have an always-on Windows PC in close proximity to it. To get proper network monitoring you'd probably need to go up to their Smart-UPS range.

Last edited:
Right now, I am using something like this... Is it even necessary to replace my power strip with a UPS???

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produ...et-with-Phone-Splitter-Protection-120V/P-P8T3
Probably not. The topic of UPS's only came up because of the speculation about the reliability of your mains supply. Having a device on a UPS will protect it from "sags" in the power (amongst other things), which may or may not have been causing your issues. But unless you've got all your devices on the UPS...

I have a smartUPS 1080 from APC, works well enough to keep modem, router, one AP, and my NAS - it has the USB port, and QNAP supports it out of the box...

The NAS is set to shutdown if power isn't restored in 5 minutes... works great!

CyberPower is another brand to consider, and then there is TrippLite which is also very good.

Probably not. The topic of UPS's only came up because of the speculation about the reliability of your mains supply. Having a device on a UPS will protect it from "sags" in the power (amongst other things), which may or may not have been causing your issues. But unless you've got all your devices on the UPS...
Ok, so for my needs of protecting my equipment, I DON'T need a UPS??

I have a smartUPS 1080 from APC, works well enough to keep modem, router, one AP, and my NAS - it has the USB port, and QNAP supports it out of the box...

The NAS is set to shutdown if power isn't restored in 5 minutes... works great!

CyberPower is another brand to consider, and then there is TrippLite which is also very good.
So, do you NEED a UPS for that situation, and why??

A UPS keeps your gear running when you have power sags and maybe overages. The Power sag can come from the power company or in your own house. If don't have a dedicated circuit to your equipment then something else on the circuit could be causing short term power sags like pugging in a vacuum cleaner or etc. Maybe even turning on all the devices on the circuit are causing power sags by being overloaded. If some of these devices are only on for short periods of time then it is hard to find. There can be so many combinations of things happening that it can be hard to figure out without monitoring.

I had an overage problem just a while back. I am at the end of a power line. The power company was adding redundancy and must of wired something wrong as I had 135.x volts coming in on my line. I reported it to the power company and they fixed it.

A UPS keeps your gear running when you have power sags and maybe overages. The Power sag can come from the power company or in your own house. If don't have a dedicated circuit to your equipment then something else on the circuit could be causing short term power sags like pugging in a vacuum cleaner or etc. Maybe even turning on all the devices on the circuit are causing power sags by being overloaded. If some of these devices are only on for short periods of time then it is hard to find. There can be so many combinations of things happening that it can be hard to figure out without monitoring.

I had an overage problem just a while back. I am at the end of a power line. The power company was adding redundancy and must of wired something wrong as I had 135.x volts coming in on my line. I reported it to the power company and they fixed it.
Thanks for that information......

So, do you NEED a UPS for that situation, and why??

Since my cableCo also has dialtone, they're required to maintain service during power outages for a period of time - so even if the lights are out, as long as the cable modem and router/AP have power, I have still internet access...

(and like a good neighbor, I usually will set up a temporary Guest SSID for the folks nextdoor/across the street) for the duration of the outage.

In the part of San Diego county where I live, we do get blackouts from time to time - esp. during wind events (Santa Anas) where the power company will purposely shutdown power to reduce the risks of wildfire.

A UPS keeps your gear running when you have power sags and maybe overages.

On many UPS's, the "protected" outlets are conditioned, so it's fairly good power out of it - my APC 1080 does just that - other nice thing with this one is that it has a local display that shows voltage, power draw (in watts), time to empty, freq in hz...

Last outage was around 4 hours, and with the CM, Router, AP - I was down to 60 percent of battery.

The only downside I've seen with my particular UPS is that swapping the battery is a cold-swap -- TrippLite has UPS's in the similar price range where the battery is hot-swap, so one could have a couple of spares and rotate them thru...

Just another update on my devices dropping off my network. It has been about a month or more since those devices stopped dropping off the network. It stopped just as suddenly as it started.......

The sad, part, I had no idea what caused that issue or what cured it. Fortunately, I only purchased a different 16 port gigabit Ethernet switch. I was suggested by SiliconDust to replace one of my networked tuners, but I did not replace it, and it has been functioning perfectly, since the problem went away.

I did notice today, that I have not turned on my Zidoo X9S in a long time, so I powered it back on. This is what made me think about my issue.

And to add a piece of the intrigue, was when I got the letter from my electrical power company that they had started work on their system about the same time my issues started. And their work competed around the time MY issues stopped.

I did purchase and install an inexpensive UPS that I installed in the basement, that my security cams connect to. But, I have not had any devices drop off my network, since I installed it, so that was not able to help me test if it was an incoming power issue from my power company.