What's new

New to this forum. Major problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is totally driving me nuts.................

To be helpful - we're probably going to need more logs from the router... and to get in depth here, maybe some tcpdumps so folks can start looking at things with wireshark.

HINT - last set of logs you provided has the openvpn server active, and that was hammering the logs, if you can turn that off...

give this a try -- https://www.draw.io/

Works for many that have asked for help.

Anyways - as soon as we dropped the lease time, problems started happening much more often.

What's upstream from the RT-AC1900? Is that a residential GW?

Yes, residential. A Motorola Arris Surfboard SB6141 modem, that I purchased 3 or 4 years ago with Comcast as my internet provider. That modem feeds my Trendnet (at this time) router.

To be helpful - we're probably going to need more logs from the router... and to get in depth here, maybe some tcpdumps so folks can start looking at things with wireshark.

HINT - last set of logs you provided has the openvpn server active, and that was hammering the logs, if you can turn that off...
Here is the log that I just pulled, you will have explain how to do a tcpdump..... And I appreciate all the help... thanks.

Attachments

• TEW-818DRU_syslog.txt
    120.7 KB · Views: 357
Tonight, I powered down/ disconnect all the devices at the entertainment center except an older HDHomeRun tuner that I replaced today with the one I removed yesterday.

In the basement connection, I left all 5 cams connected, and the cable that feeds my microPC in my bedroom, which I am typing on now.

I will see if my cam drops off the network tonight.

sfx you appear to have missed quite a few subsequent posts. I had already asked him to turn off the VPN server which he did. When his problem reoccurred there was absolutely nothing recorded in the log at that time. Since then he has swapped out the Asus router with a TRENDnet and the problems persist.

Good news to report this morning. My Dahua IP camera and my HDHomeRun tuner were still online this morning. As I stated last night, I powered down or disconnected almost everything, including my WD and Synology NAS's. One thing that I did power down, that I don't recall powering down before, was my Vorke V2 that I use as my PLEX and Emby servers (Windows 10 microPC). I left running my Tronsmart Ara X5 Windows 10, microPC. Also, left my 4 other IP cams and NVR running.

Will leave the same situation tonight and see what happens.

Ok, I replaced my Trendnet Green switch with my cheapie D-link 8 port switch. I moved the cat 6 cable going to my entertainment center to the D-link switch. I also, moved the cat 6 cable going to the basement to the D-link switch from the router. So now my router only has the cable going to the D-link switch and my desktop computer.

To be noted, when I removed the cables from the router, and connected them to the D-link 8 port switch. Both my networked tuner and my Dahua IP cam came back online very fast.

Were the devices that were dropping off connected directly or indirectly to the green trendnet switch ?
Green switches power down ports when they detect no usage. Some devices do not work in this situation and will think they do not have a network connection. Sometimes you can turn this mode off in the switch.

It is still possible that the issue is with other devices, but turning off green mode would be my first step to rule that out. Of course, pulling the switch has the same effect.

When was that green switch installed ?

Were the devices that were dropping off connected directly or indirectly to the green trendnet switch ?
Green switches power down ports when they detect no usage. Some devices do not work in this situation and will think they do not have a network connection. Sometimes you can turn this mode off in the switch.

It is still possible that the issue is with other devices, but turning off green mode would be my first step to rule that out. Of course, pulling the switch has the same effect.

When was that green switch installed ?
My devices that were dropping off the switch were NOT connected to the Green switch at all. They were connected indirectly to the router.

Just to clarify, if the green port goes into powersave and the device indirectly connected is trying to communicate via that indirect link, it may mark itself as offline when it cannot access the internet or another device it is supposed to talk to - perhaps a dvr. It is up to the device as to how that is handled.

If the green switch was there before this issue started ocurring, then that is not likely the problem. Over and out.

Good news today. When I got up, first thing I check is to see if my IP cam and networked TV tuner are still on the network, and they were. This is 2 NIGHTS and days in a row that they did NOT drop off the network.

The last thing I disconnected 3 days ago was my Vorke V2 (Windows 10 microPC) running Plex and Emby servers. I also removed and replaced the HDHomeRun networked tuner that was dropping off the network each night (and day) along with the IP cam.

Yesterday, I replaced my Trendnet Green switch with a D-Link 8 port switch. I then moved my Cat 6 cables that feed 95% of my devices from my router to that 8 port D-link switch.

So, at this point I still don't know conclusively what is causing my issue.

Almost all of my devices have been disconnected from my network, and I will start adding them back into the system one or two at a time.

Today, I will put my TV tuner that was dropping off the network each night and sometimes during the day, back into the system.

Just to clarify, if the green port goes into powersave and the device indirectly connected is trying to communicate via that indirect link, it may mark itself as offline when it cannot access the internet or another device it is supposed to talk to - perhaps a dvr. It is up to the device as to how that is handled.

If the green switch was there before this issue started ocurring, then that is not likely the problem. Over and out.
The Green switch has been in the same location of many years. What I don't recall is WHEN I moved my Cat6 cables from that switch to the router.

This is my setup, router is sitting on desk temporarily until I put my Asus back into the system.

router.jpg

I now put my original networked TV tuner back into the system. This tuner was dropping off the network every night and sometimes during the day. SiliconDust, make of the tuners, said the diagnostics showed it was defective, but I don't believe it. I will know for sure tomorrow or the next day. Everything else, I am leaving off line, that is off line now.

Edit: SiliconDust gave me an RMA to replace it, but I have to know in my mind if it is indeed defective. The RMA is good for 30 days.