What's new

no clientnames in arp list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heliosone

Regular Contributor
hi!

got my new AC86U router today.
most problems,moving from my old AC56U there,are solvable with research,but one problem persists :(

no matter what I tried so far,I dont get clientnames (in commandwindow via ssh)
the arp command only shows "?" where before the devices name was listed.(on my old router,the new one never showed ANY clientnames :( )
I did an arpflush,rebooted my devices,restarted router/wireless/...
no chance,still only "?".

Showing the networkmap within the webinterface... there all devices are listed with their clientname.

firmware is up2date.

any suggestions ??

Last edited:
This sounds like a DNS issue.

IIRC name resolution done by the router (for itself) was changed a few firmware releases ago. In the past it would use the router's DNS server (so you would see your names), but now it goes straight to the internet (so you won't see your names). I believe there's an option in the GUI somewhere to switch back to the old behaviour.

I checked out the options on wan/lan/wireless... no success so far :(
tried to add the routers ip to /etc/resolv.conf ,but thats a generated file,after restart_wan,only 2 ips are in there.
so I tried to change the nvram settings from wan0_dns & wan_dns ,but the 192.168.1.1 is removed from wan0 after a restart_wan,also it was not added to /etc/resolv.conf :(

there are so many options (nvram show|grep dns) ... Im kinda lost in this issue :(

Tools / Other Settings page “Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)”. Set to Yes and try again.

im feeling huggy ehm happy :) BIG THANKS,that did the trick.
Im not sure if I would have found this hidden gem anytime soon :)