What's new

[Official] RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9460

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It would be interesting to see how many are still in use. Its hard to tell because most people that bought and had problems returned with in a few weeks. I remember hearing about huge piles of returns at best buys. Not many will stick it out too long when it doesn't work.

It would be interesting to see how many are still in use. Its hard to tell because most people that bought and had problems returned with in a few weeks. I remember hearing about huge piles of returns at best buys. Not many will stick it out too long when it doesn't work.

I'm still using mine, no issues with wireless, heat, or any of the other problems others have reported. I have about 20 end points connected via wired and wifi. It's a shame others having such difficulties. Hard to determine if it's a faulty setup/config problem, environmental, or something else.

I can't say I have any problems with it since the last firmware. I have about ~15 clients connected (iOS, Android, Macs, PCs). Uptime is 12 days now (The power went out) and my NAS has been connected for 266 hours on 2.4GHz band, and a Fire TV stick has been connected for 110 hours on the 5 GHz band.

My only problems running Merlins latest firmware are 5gig stability. Heat is an issue if i turn off my cooler and my room is at 16c all day long with nothing around the router at all. 2.4 is rock solid and it stays up as long as it is kept cool. Asus firmwares are buggy with gui issues everywhere. No merlin... no asus for me. If it wasn't for him I'd had tossed it long ago

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Mine's stable with an active cooler on it. I have multi-week uptimes with 25 clients; 5 wired, 10x 2.4GHz and 10x 5GHz. The only issue I have is a 2015 Macbook Pro that doesn't like its 5GHz driver waking from sleep, and streaming from/to a local NAS on OS X is very poor.

When I boot into Windows 10 on the very same machine, there's no issue at all-- wake from sleep fine, VLC throughput fine. Apple's wifi drivers are just notoriously awful.

I won't defend ASUS selling a crippled router at launch, and the length of time it took to get here, but we're approaching a firmware that finally delivers the features on the printed box, at least.

Hi.
I have a question about dualwan function.
I have huawei e3372 and this work only when i set in modem config (via www) autoconnect. When connection is set to "on demand", then router start secondary wan (in network map i see connected) but no internet (i can run modem webif 192.168.8.1) and i see that modem is not connected and wait for press connect buton.
Is this normal ?

IMO router should send connect command to modem then modem start connection to gsm network.. Now modem is always connectedo to gsm network.

I have a site with 2 87u's one is a spare. So had updated the spare RT-AC87U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9383 to test 2 weeks back.. Just got the chance to update the original one Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9460. All I get is a red internet light now with the original 87u. Been through several flashings, resets and re-setups from scratch. Still will not connect to the modem. Put the spare back with the 378.9383 fw and it connects fine. Anyone else have an issue like this with this fw?

I'm still using mine with 5 clients running off of it, four being iDevuces. Using the latest firmware and all running 5ghz. No issues at all on any of the devices.

I have 250/20 coming into the house. Router resides on the second floor and I get 145mbps on my iPad Air downstairs consisitently. Never have a problem with AppleTV and I get service on my deck without an issue. When the power went out on the weekend, I was up and in 5ghz within 30 seconds.

Don't understand all the reported problems. Using a cooler, in my opinion, is a must. I've been using the 87u for just over a year and not interested in an upgrade.

Last edited:
I have a site with 2 87u's one is a spare. So had updated the spare RT-AC87U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9383 to test 2 weeks back.. Just got the chance to update the original one Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9460. All I get is a red internet light now with the original 87u. Been through several flashings, resets and re-setups from scratch. Still will not connect to the modem. Put the spare back with the 378.9383 fw and it connects fine. Anyone else have an issue like this with this fw?

If it's a cablemodem, you need to turn it off 5-10 minutes to fully reset the connection when switching between two different routers.

Both Netgear and Linksys also released a router based on that same chipset as the RT-AC87U, and gave up on fixing it months ago. Netgear simply released a V2 hardware revision, leaving V1 owners in the dust. Guess that's two more brands for you to avoid then...

Bottom line is, Quantenna are the ones responsible for this mess. Neither Asus, Netgear or Linksys can fix it - only Quantenna can. And so far, they've been failing pretty hard at fixing it, regardless of which manufacturer chose to use their lab-experiment-gone-wrong that the QSR1000 turned out to me.

If I were one of those manufacturers who released a product based on that chip, I would talk to my lawyers to consider what my options are.

RMerlin - do you know if Asus has ever offered some sort of rebate to customers (to move to a better product) - to compensate for a lack of ability to fix a known design/engineering issue ?
I am just curious how seriously they are taking this, and if we should be chasing them for some sort of resolution.
Perhaps a 50% off deal for the next-higher router (ac88) would be deemed fair by its customers.

RMerlin - do you know if Asus has ever offered some sort of rebate to customers (to move to a better product) - to compensate for a lack of ability to fix a known design/engineering issue ?
I am just curious how seriously they are taking this, and if we should be chasing them for some sort of resolution.
Perhaps a 50% off deal for the next-higher router (ac88) would be deemed fair by its customers.

Never heard of such a thing, and it's not a common thing either.

BTW, those things even happen with multi-thousand dollar equipments, and they aren't any more open to "compensation"... A friend of mine works for a large telco, where they had some Cisco product fielded. They kept having some weird random issues, which they tracked down to these Cisco devices rebooting themselves under certain specific conditions. Cisco's answer?

"It's a known issue in the controller chip, the only solution is to upgrade to the higher end device, which uses a different chip without that flaw". Nevermind the fact we're talking about multi-thousand dollars devices here, and the replacement was something like TEN TIMES more expensive. With no compensation for the devices they had already purchased and fielded for theri customer. And they had like 4 or 5 of these devices that would have to be replaced...

If it's a cablemodem, you need to turn it off 5-10 minutes to fully reset the connection when switching between two different routers.
Got to go to the customer today. Left the router disconnected for 30 minutes and same issue. It is a 10.x.x.x setup on the modem and i remember one of the routers having an issue with it. Put the old one back on thats one version back and it hooks right up.

Got to go to the customer today. Left the router disconnected for 30 minutes and same issue. It is a 10.x.x.x setup on the modem and i remember one of the routers having an issue with it. Put the old one back on thats one version back and it hooks right up.

You need to leave the modem off, not the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!