What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nah, that must be some sort of httpd timeout. Close your tab and browswer and then restart it and type your login/pass again.

i opened up firefox and cleared all history, making sure to check offline data, and other stuff as well. (its my extra browser) it is getting timeout issues as well.
then i did the same on IE (that i never use)
still getting timeouts.
http://my.router/Advanced_Switch_Content.asp
that page does work though. (albeit very slowly)
im not sure if it lets me change settings though. the apply button seems to be greyed out.

Hm. That's weird. You're the first one with such an issue. Do you have java installed? What exactly version of firmware do you use? Is it 018?

Last edited:
ok, so now i have jumped onto my desktop and the webgui loading instantly.. i have no idea what is wrong with my laptop.
it has the newest versions of firefox, chrome, flash, java, IE9, all of those work perfectly for any website except for the webgui on the router.

since my desktop is working fine i dont have a real issue anymore. but im still really confused by my laptop. ive never had issues with it before. its the computer i usually use to troubleshoot this type of thing.
i keep my laptop really standard so that it has less chance of having client side issues like this...

oh well.. thanks for your help!

While I'm trying to find the proper terminal command to check the process list you can click the percentage near CPU LOAD field and tell me what eats cpu. Is it sirq?

No, it isn't... that seems low.

See the capture, but I am transferring files to the USB drive now... I'm also on the 3 kernel... and that works well and not at 100% all the time (as you can see by the load average.

I'll load the 1 kernel if you want and get a similar capture if that will help?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 429
While I'm trying to find the proper terminal command to check the process list you can click the percentage near CPU LOAD field and tell me what eats cpu. Is it sirq?

Try 'top' and make your terminal screen as tall as possible.

OK, put the 1 kernel on... almost 100% all the time and sirq IS low... see screenshot. No IPV6 is enabled. Just the 2.4 and 5GHZ band. System is NOT busy when the screenshot was taken, other than FireFox open to the browser and I'm using IE 9 here to respond.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 352
Download puTTY here http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html and connect to the router via SSH (don't forget to enable ssh server here http://my.router/Advanced_System_Content.asp ). Login with your usual username and password and enter top command. That way you'll see what's eating cpu.

Also is there any reason for you to bother about 2.x kernel? It is still there only for specific purposes as I said before. It is deprecated as of now and soon will be dropped. Use 3.x

I went back to the 3.0.2.6-018 firmware on my two RT-N56U boxes.

Download puTTY here http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html and connect to the router via SSH (don't forget to enable ssh server here http://my.router/Advanced_System_Content.asp ). Login with your usual username and password and enter top command. That way you'll see what's eating cpu.

Also is there any reason for you to bother about 2.x kernel? It is still there only for specific purposes as I said before. It is deprecated as of now and soon will be dropped. Use 3.x

OK, put 3.x kernel back, partial PUTTY output. Very high CPU usage, see screen capture.

==============
Mem: 97572K used, 28912K free, 0K shrd, 26356K buff, 27900K cached
CPU: 0.5% usr 37.1% sys 58.6% nic 0.0% idle 2.5% io 0.0% irq 0.9% sirq
Load average: 1.22 0.60 0.23 2/54 650
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
620 609 admin R N 15008 11.8 0 93.7 /usr/bin/minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.co
350 2 admin SW 0 0.0 0 1.3 [usb-storage]
642 640 admin R 1536 1.2 0 0.5 top
6 2 admin SW 0 0.0 0 0.3 [rcu_kthread]
529 1 admin S 1460 1.1 0 0.2 watchdog
637 523 admin S 1244 0.9 0 0.2 /usr/sbin/dropbear -W 65536
609 1 admin S 5208 4.1 0 0.0 /usr/bin/minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.co
605 1 admin S N 2780 2.2 0 0.0 /sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
603 1 admin S 2708 2.1 0 0.0 /sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
640 637 admin S 1544 1.2 0 0.0 -sh
571 1 admin S 1540 1.2 0 0.0 /bin/sh
490 1 admin S 1540 1.2 0 0.0 /sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -s /tmp/udhcpc.s
======================

Looks like the DLNA is doing it... but it wasn't on the 1.x kernel?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 435
OK, put 3.x kernel back, partial PUTTY output. Very high CPU usage, see screen capture.

==============
Mem: 97572K used, 28912K free, 0K shrd, 26356K buff, 27900K cached
CPU: 0.5% usr 37.1% sys 58.6% nic 0.0% idle 2.5% io 0.0% irq 0.9% sirq
Load average: 1.22 0.60 0.23 2/54 650
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
620 609 admin R N 15008 11.8 0 93.7 /usr/bin/minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.co
350 2 admin SW 0 0.0 0 1.3 [usb-storage]
642 640 admin R 1536 1.2 0 0.5 top
6 2 admin SW 0 0.0 0 0.3 [rcu_kthread]
529 1 admin S 1460 1.1 0 0.2 watchdog
637 523 admin S 1244 0.9 0 0.2 /usr/sbin/dropbear -W 65536
609 1 admin S 5208 4.1 0 0.0 /usr/bin/minidlna -f /etc/minidlna.co
605 1 admin S N 2780 2.2 0 0.0 /sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
603 1 admin S 2708 2.1 0 0.0 /sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
640 637 admin S 1544 1.2 0 0.0 -sh
571 1 admin S 1540 1.2 0 0.0 /bin/sh
490 1 admin S 1540 1.2 0 0.0 /sbin/udhcpc -i eth3 -s /tmp/udhcpc.s
======================

Looks like the DLNA is doing it... but it wasn't on the 1.x kernel?

Hmm, since it seemed to be the DLNA, I just checked back 90 minutes later... and seems to have settled down in CPU usage, according to the graph 11% in one spike but mostly between 0 and 2%. Don't know why I didn't see this when starting with the 1.x kernel?

DLNA takes a lot of CPU when it does it's initial index, but it doesn't effect the router performance. It will release the CPU if something else requires more CPU at that time (prioritized multitasking). But as you found it will quiet down when it's done. It's normal.

The 1.x kernal and the process monitor didn't really report everything properly in the Web GUI. But if you ran the 'top' command it would show up that DLNA was busy with it's initial indexing.

DLNA takes a lot of CPU when it does it's initial index, but it doesn't effect the router performance. It will release the CPU if something else requires more CPU at that time (prioritized multitasking). But as you found it will quiet down when it's done. It's normal.

The 1.x kernal and the process monitor didn't really report everything properly in the Web GUI. But if you ran the 'top' command it would show up that DLNA was busy with it's initial indexing.

One of the reasons I went off the 3.x kernel was that there was a 'lock out' condition. At that time all the wireless devices were on the 2.4Ghz radio except one PC and a WII (G speed, others N, and one wireless). One of the iPad's couldn't do anything? Switching it to the 5Ghz radio fixed it and allowed it to use the Internet. Moved the other iPad to that frequency too.

Since then I've not seen that happen, but I'm watching for it. Have a wireless printer, TV and one iPad on the 2.4 Ghz now. If it happens again, I'll use Putty and see what is going on.

It could have been an iPad problem for all I know?

I do not know if its an Ipad or a firmware issue but I do know that 1.1.2.3-010 was the last version that worked well with my Ipad3. I couldnt get the newer firmwares such as 3.0.2.6-018 and 1.1.2.6-018 to work well with my Ipad. I would get slow wifi speed, wifi freezing, disconnects, reduced range...etc and it seemed to effect both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I finally gave up and went back to 1.1.2.3-010 which works flawlessly.

Awesome work

Great work guys, hopefully IPv6 is rock stable. I have a question, is there ANY way to have a scheduled WAN shutdown and WAN turnon in the gui? Or an external script for it? I know wireless is available but my needs are a complete scheduled WAN connection. Thanks

Great work guys, hopefully IPv6 is rock stable. I have a question, is there ANY way to have a scheduled WAN shutdown and WAN turnon in the gui? Or an external script for it? I know wireless is available but my needs are a complete scheduled WAN connection. Thanks

Hey - it's working fine for some ipv6 clients but not for others (Apple products on 2.4Ghz are not working for me, but working OK on 5Ghz)

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/issues/detail?id=551

miniDLNA or upnp?

Hi guys, im new here and needed help. I cant seem to stream medias properly using my samsung blu-ray player. I can only access my media for a few seconds and it will drop and never appear again until i rebooted both blu-ray player and the router. But it wont fix it, just repeating the same problem again. I dont get that with official firmware. I used the xxxx-018 and now im running the official firmware again. I am a real noob in this thing, i hope someone knows about this problem. BTW, my bluray player is the samsung bd-e5300 with the latest firmware. What should i do?