What's new

Possibly in the market for a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
I must be fatter than I think, wobbled by a tight spot to hang up a cool leather jacket and bumped into my RT N66U, fell to the floor. Lots of loose plastic rattling around in it. Youtube'd videos on how to remove cover to clean it out but had no luck in attempting it.

So I might get a cheap one with beamforming to replace my traunched wifi only router to continue with wifi only duties, or I might pick up a new Asus router with longevity Merlin support and move my AX-86U down the line. The N66U still works and can also pull double duty as a Maraca, lol

Any suggestions? Another AX-86U is $250 at my local PC shop and there are 2 in stock.

Thanks for your time

The RT-AX86U is very soon to be EOL (i.e. no 3.0.0.6.xxx support for it). Bad time to buy another one.

The excellent RT-AX88U Pro is the best buy today.

Personally, starting to seriously think about dumping boxed routers and going micropc route with 2.5G or better LANs and access points front and back of house, costs coming down to those of a top end router and even more flexible and longer life.

To 'save' $67 to buy an effectively obsolete router is nonsense.

To 'save' $39 to buy a crippled version that isn't any better than the above (except for possible longer support), is also nonsensical.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the best bang for the buck router today, for a reason.

Looking at different sites with the 88U I'm not seeing a gaming port like on the 86U and there is no mention of it. I don't know why but I'm assuming it's on the 1st LAN port like on the 86U or is there none?

Gaming Port = Gimmick.

Not needed in any way shape or form for networking equipment. Even 'gaming' devices.

Nice review, creatine, thanks!

The only gaming "feature" i use is the Adaptive QoS option, and the gaming port. The rest do not apply. I thought the gaming port on the AX86U was directly connected to the CPU or something? I've mentioned before that I noticed a difference but it could very well just be anecdotal.

Gaming Port = Gimmick.

Not needed in any way shape or form for networking equipment. Even 'gaming' devices.
I've got my fax machine hooked up to my Gaming Port... that's how awesome it is!

I've got my fax machine hooked up to my Gaming Port... that's how awesome it is!

Find another way! You're slowing down your fax machine...

I recently purchased a GT-AX6000 and am very happy with it. Spec wise it is nearly identical to the AX-88U Pro. Either are a great choice.
I've done the exact same thing. Was a difficult choice between 88U Pro and AX6000, but at same price, I went for the latter, based on same hardware + extra usb port + love the looks. Hope I had made a good choice though...
I remember looking at this review on the same site before I went for it:

Cheers!

I've done the exact same thing. Was a difficult choice between 88U Pro and AX6000, but at same price, I went for the latter, based on same hardware + extra usb port + love the looks. Hope I had made a good choice though...
I remember looking at this review on the same site before I went for it:

Cheers!
They could have just summarized his article to just: "Pick the one that looks prettiest to you and buy it".

Thanks for this thread folks, you helped me decide in a AX6000 for long term support, I am about to replace an aging AC3100 which has been a beast and seems to be the best option right now.
You can't go wrong... the AX6000 has been working extremely well for my purposes.

I picked up a ax88u pro on EBay. $179

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!