What's new

[Preview] 380.57 alpha test builds for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sytem logs >wireless log shows SNR on top of each radios box

That is true, but all say zero. On the 87U the 2.4Ghz was always also zero, but the 5Ghz usually bounced between 13 and 30. Not a big concern, just a curious observation.

Anyone that has a 3200, I'm also curious to know what your wireless TX power output is. If you could telnet in and run "wl txpwr_target_max "

This is what I get :

admin@RT-AC3200-2A70:/tmp/home/root# wl txpwr_target_max
Maximum Tx Power Target (chanspec:0xd826): 18.00 18.00 18.00

Hello everyone. :)

I signed up here specifically to share my experience on this issue quoted above, but with the latest ASUS 68U firmware!

As a new owner of an AC68U, I upgraded immediately to the latest ASUS firmware when I received the router, and before actually using it. After setting everything up, I found that the 2.4 GhZ band refused to pass internet connections to any device connected to that band. The 5G side worked fine.

Since the hardware does not allow you to downgrade to a previous firmware after upgrading to a newer version, I had to hope that the problem was related to the router itself, so we sent it back and got a brand new replacement from Amazon.com.

Before I upgraded the firmware this time, I checked the 2.4 band with the FW already installed on the 68U from the factory, and it all worked perfectly fine. I then upgraded to the latest ASUS firmware for the 68U and once again the 2.4 GhZ band glitched out and refused to pass any internet connections to any devices connected to the 2.4. Some devices could not even connect, and those that could displayed a constant value of "1" in the TX window for that IP and no internet connection even though they showed up as being connected to the router's 2.4 band.

Looking for an alternative to try, I discovered Merlin and downloaded the 11/3/15 version for the 68U and immediately after completing the update, my 2.4 GhZ band began functioning normally again, passing all internet traffic to and from all devices connected to it.

Since the latest ASUS FW definitely killed the 2.4 band on two brand new 68U units, I am curious if any of the latest ASUS FW code is being integrated into these Alpha builds?

I was considering giving this Alpha 4 a try myself until I read this post, which precisely describes the behavior I saw with the latest stock firmware on two brand new 68Us.

Similar to what I observed here - http://www.snbforums.com/threads/pr...ilds-for-all-models.28426/page-19#post-225005

I purchased a brand new 68U and was going to try it this evening... but given that others are experiencing this... I'm almost expecting it not to work...

FWIW, I have the RT-AC68U HW revision A2

Similar to what I observed here - http://www.snbforums.com/threads/pr...ilds-for-all-models.28426/page-19#post-225005

I purchased a brand new 68U and was going to try it this evening... but given that others are experiencing this... I'm almost expecting it not to work...

FWIW, I have the RT-AC68U HW revision A2

Hmmm... Interesting.

I will be curious to see if you have the same issue with your 2.4 side if you try the latest A4.

I'm still astonished that I am not finding a slew of reports on the web over this loss of the 2.4 Ghz band with the latest ASUS stock firmware offering on their support site. Considering I watched two brand new router's 2.4 side rendered inoperative immediately after upgrading to it. You would think this would effect every 68U it was installed on. ??

Really curious to hear from RMerlin on whether he has employed any of this most recent stock FW code into his latest A4 builds. If so, that would immediately explain why there is now the same 2.4 band issue on the latest A4 for the 68U.

Even more curious as to WHY this is happening. As in what is behind the loss of an entire side of the router's WI-FI system as long as that firmware is being used. And returned to normal by installing the latest public release of Merlin for the 68U??

Forgot to mention that the latest 68U I received from Amazon as the replacement appears to be one of the newer models with the faster CPU. Merlin reports the processor frequency as 1000 mhz.

Last edited:
Installed this on my 5300 and its thumping away beautifully. The UI is far more responsive and having the scheduled reboot back is nice. No wifi drops so far and performance it great.

Thank you Merlin!

Could you add an option to hide/remove the WTFast stuff from the UI and ensure its not enabled?

I too, installed this on my ac5300, and it actually appears to be running better than before.

Thanks Merlin....

Last edited:
Hmmm... Interesting.

I will be curious to see if you have the same issue with your 2.4 side if you try the latest A4.

I'm still astonished that I am not finding a slew of reports on the web over this loss of the 2.4 Ghz band with the latest ASUS stock firmware offering on their support site. Considering I watched two brand new router's 2.4 side rendered inoperative immediately after upgrading to it. You would think this would effect every 68U it was installed on. ??

Really curious to hear from RMerlin on whether he has employed any of this most recent stock FW code into his latest A4 builds. If so, that would immediately explain why there is now the same 2.4 band issue on the latest A4 for the 68U.

Even more curious as to WHY this is happening. As in what is behind the loss of an entire side of the router's WI-FI system as long as that firmware is being used. And returned to normal by installing the latest public release of Merlin for the 68U??

Forgot to mention that the latest 68U I received from Amazon as the replacement appears to be one of the newer models with the faster CPU. Merlin reports the processor frequency as 1000 mhz.

I've had no issues with 3.0.0.4.380.1031 on my RT-AC68P. I upgraded from 378.56_2. I did a factory reset after upgrading.

Hmmm... Interesting.

I picked up a new 68U from Amazon last weekend, and it worked fine with the latest ASUS firmware (380.1031). Turns out that my 68U is hardware rev B1 which means its actually a 68P. What HW version is yours?

"I picked up a new 68U from Amazon last weekend, and it worked fine with the latest ASUS firmware (380.1031). Turns out that my 68U is hardware rev B1 which means its actually a 68P."

Interesting. Was not sure Amazon would have the re-badged, for lack of a better term, 68P's.

Something is clearly up with this model. Best Buy selling the actual 68P's for 160, others selling te re-badged 68U's that are the 68P's for 150.

Clearing out stock for the C1 revision?

Since the latest ASUS FW definitely killed the 2.4 band on two brand new 68U units, I am curious if any of the latest ASUS FW code is being integrated into these Alpha builds?

I was considering giving this Alpha 4 a try myself until I read this post, which precisely describes the behavior I saw with the latest stock firmware on two brand new 68Us.

I'm using the exact same wireless driver as in Asus's 3.0.0.4.380_1031.

That is true, but all say zero. On the 87U the 2.4Ghz was always also zero, but the 5Ghz usually bounced between 13 and 30. Not a big concern, just a curious observation.

This is normal. Broadcom doesn't not provide that statistic unless the router is connected as a repeater, in which case it will report the details of the link between the two routers.

I picked up a new 68U from Amazon last weekend, and it worked fine with the latest ASUS firmware (380.1031). Turns out that my 68U is hardware rev B1 which means its actually a 68P. What HW version is yours?

Where can I find the HW REV number for this 68U I got from Amazon? It has a 1000 Mhz CPU freq. according to the Merlin FW installed.

I'm using the exact same wireless driver as in Asus's 3.0.0.4.380_1031.

Hmmmm... I wouldn't be surprised if my 2.4 band goes south with A4 installed then. After turning on the AiProtection stuff my random reboot problem seems to have disappeared. Since doing that, the router has not rebooted itself. If it can make it through 48 hours like this, I can say that turning on those AiProtection features must have done something that fixed the random reboots.

All this is very strange to me. I've never seen a router that can get hosed by not turning on certain features.

Last edited:
Where can I find the HW REV number for this 68U I got from Amazon? It has a 1000 Mhz CPU freq. according to the Merlin FW installed.

White sticker at the back. It will be Rev B1, the only newer revision won't be in store for 1-2 months.

White sticker at the back. It will be Rev B1, the only newer revision won't be in store for 1-2 months.

Thanks Merlin!

You were right! HW version B1.

So these are actually a different model than what the box says it is? A 68P in form with the 68U stickers and packaging? Seems kind of unscrupulous on Amazon and ASUS's part., but after doing some digging I discovered that the P is an upgraded version of the U (68V2)

Thanks again for the help! :)

Last edited:
I found a nice article comparing the P to the U here on this site:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-band-wireless-ac1900-gigabit-router-reviewed

This B1/68P model is officially referred to in FCC documents as the AC68V2, so I guess I should be happy I got one of these upgraded 68Us for $150.00. :)

Interesting that Amazon has managed to get some of these same units that Best Buy was supposedly selling as an exclusive model. ;)

Last edited:
I had one other question for anyone who can answer it...

I read in the installation notes that you SHOULD NOT upload a save file of your settings after installing a new version of the Merlin firmware. Does that mean that each and every time you upgrade the firmware, you are forced to manually configure all your router settings from scratch? That seems like a major hassle to me.

Why can't I upload my settings file from the previous version of Merlin if for whatever reason I am forced to do a factory reset immediately after installing a new FW version?

Also... I have read that you should disconnect any USB drives from the router before upgrading. Why is that a requirement? I don't have a problem with that, but I am curious as to why there are so many things you are not supposed to do when upgrading.

Thanks! :)

only when there are new drivers or major changes , most times you do not have to wipe settings and set things up all over . There is a tool to save and reuse NVRAM settings , search the forum

only when there are new drivers or major changes , most times you do not have to wipe settings and set things up all over . There is a tool to save and reuse NVRAM settings , search the forum

Thats a relief! I can see having to do something that tedious once or twice over time, but not every time. Thanks for the info!

That tool sounds like it would be good to have. Does it have a name?

"Interesting that Amazon has managed to get some of these same units that Best Buy was supposedly selling as an exclusive model."

Pure speculation of course but that's probably why they are labeled 68U's in the US. I'm sure the 1ghz 68P Best Buy thing meant only they could sell them in the US. To get around that AND clear existing stock ahead of the C1's, we have B1's 68U's in the US. Based on all the Telnet stuff I ran to identify the insides these are 68P's.

Are the C1's going to be a bit better than the B1's? Probably. That's how, as we know, this stuff works. These B1's at 150 are an incredible value. I have one for my son-in-law under his Christmas tree. I'll not be let down because I bought a a B1 at 150 when the C1's come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.