What's new

[Preview] RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 380.57 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded today from 87U to 88U using john9527's restore utility R22 - worked like a charm in MIGR mode. Thanks John for making my life easier and thanks RMerlin for sharing your 380.Alpha2 release (all seem to work great!)
Good job both of you guys!

Going try the new firmware for RT-AC88U.

For the LACP option, in Asus's firmware, it only appear in router mode but not in AP mode. Let me see if I can turn on LACP in AP mode.

Update:
The option is the same as the stock firmware, but the config stay as I switch from router mode to AP mode.

Last edited:
Trying the latest (Alpha2) on my AC88U. in the WTFast tab, when trying to sign-in, i get “* Server does not response.” Any ideas?

You do plan to merge AC-3200 into 380.57 before release?

Provided I have all the necessary binary blobs from Asus. So far it does compile, however I haven't tested it yet. For now the focus is on the general code, model-specific testing will only happen later in the development cycle.

I am only releasing these two pre-release builds for now because they are the first builds to work for these two new routers.

Yes. It's proprietary support provided by Broadcom, so it's once again closed source. 'cause the whole world is desperately trying to steal every single line of code Broadcom writes, which would drive them out of business. Cause their code is REVOLUTIONARY! </sarcasm>

Broad..... is worse when it comes to the whole Bluetooth Stack thing and being device locked but not because of the hardware...

Yes. It's proprietary support provided by Broadcom, so it's once again closed source. 'cause the whole world is desperately trying to steal every single line of code Broadcom writes, which would drive them out of business. Cause their code is REVOLUTIONARY! </sarcasm>
It doesn't have to revolutionary to be protected. Why pay for all cost to have others use it commercially and earn shirtloads of money without any contribution?

It doesn't have to revolutionary to be protected. Why pay for all cost to have others use it commercially and earn shirtloads of money without any contribution?

Because some of the things (such as LACP) are so basic common sense, that there is nothing to steal. It's most likely either very common code, or code that would only work with Broadcom's own hardware, in which case they already had you pay for the hardware and the SDK anyway.

Because some of the things (such as LACP) are so basic common sense, that there is nothing to steal. It's most likely either very common code, or code that would only work with Broadcom's own hardware, in which case they already had you pay for the hardware and the SDK anyway.
Or it actually is revolutionary :)

Greetings all and thank you RMerlin for your continued support. Has anyone tested the NAS features? I'm only getting about 35 MB/s throughput when copying files. On my refurbished 87U I was getting 65 MB/s. I've tested both stock and Merlin's latest alpha with same results. Might I have a faulty 88U? I've factory reset and flashed the latest firmware. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. One of the main reasons I made this purchase is because they claim 100 MB/s with the NAS feature. Asus Tech Support recommended I get the router replaced.

Edit: After disabling USB 3.0 Interference Under Wireless Settings, I'm now able to surpass 100 MB/s. I'm now satisfied with the performance. Further research led me to the following link http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-slow-usb-3-0-speeds.13124/page-2

It's ashame that Asus Tech Support is unaware of this.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
How is this firmware performing for everyone? Stock firmware is currently loaded on my RT-AC88U, and everything is running well. I have always preferred the additional options/info that comes with the Merlin firmwares. Is it worthwhile to upgrade? Wondering because of the Alpha designation....

How is this firmware performing for everyone? Stock firmware is currently loaded on my RT-AC88U, and everything is running well. I have always preferred the additional options/info that comes with the Merlin firmwares. Is it worthwhile to upgrade? Wondering because of the Alpha designation....

It's labeled as alpha because what I had planned for 378.57 hasn't been fully implemented yet. It does not indicate any stability issue, just that it was released still early in the 378.57 development cycle.

The way I work is that as I merge new GPLs or implement new features, I label builds as alpha. Once I'm done adding new stuff and I focus on fixing, testing or finetuning, I switch to beta - at that stage a release is in a feature freeze state, until the final release.

Loaded it this morning and everything is working well. What is the telnet command to clear the nvram on these routers?

Been running it from day 1 and no problems to report apart from “Server no response” in the WTFast tab..

I see this under the tools menu. It is showing nothing connected to the WAN port. Is this a bug?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 9.11.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 9.11.54 PM.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 346
I see this under the tools menu. It is showing nothing connected to the WAN port. Is this a bug?

As I don't have an RT-AC3100, I cannot confirm the correct port order (and the person who tested the initial test builds never got back to me when I asked him to confirm whether the port order was correct or not...)

Can you confirm what is the correct port order on that page versus the physical port numbers (i.e. in what order should the label be listed on the Sysinfo page)? Based on the VLAN I would assume that the last port should be the WAN, however I also need to know which ports are 1,2,3 and 4 in that list.