What's new

Problem with my RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sir Patriot

Regular Contributor
Hi
I newly bought a RT-AC68U and I used it for half an hour and it was ok and then I realized its firmware is not updated so I have updated it to the latest version available on ASUS website (3.0.0.4.378_4585) but after a few hours I noticed my internet speed is droping and after a few hours the router says it is connected to the net but I cannot open any website.
Is anything wrong with my router or its firmware or its setting? any suggestion?

Another question is that how can I use my external HDD connected to routers USB via network?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I would recommend any of the RMerlin firmware's or their forks (john9527's and hggomes) over stock Asus firmware any day.

Asus gives us the new features as they become available. RMerlin makes our (supported Asus) routers as stable as possible with those new features. The forks off of RMerlin's work allow further possibilities than the more strict to Asus RMerlin fork is geared towards.

The primary goals of this project are to fix bugs, add a few basic features and tweaks to the original firmware. This firmware will try to remain as close as possible to the original firmware. If you are looking for a slew of advanced features, then this project is not for you. Look at TomatoUSB or DD-WRT, two excellent products that might suit your needs better.

If however you prefer something as close as possible to the manufacturer's firmware, then this is for you :)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/

When you flash any new firmware, it is recommended to:

Unplug any USB devices. Reboot router. Wait for it to fully boot up (5 minutes). Flash to new firmware. Reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configure the router to connect to your ISP and secure it. A new ssid is also recommended to use for both bands to ensure the client devices fully utilize the new parameters the new firmware enables.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it.
What is the latest version of RMerlin firmware?
By the way is there any tutorial for sharing HDD plugged to USB over wifi for PC and android?

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it.
What is the latest version of RMerlin firmware?
By the way is there any tutorial for sharing HDD plugged to USB over wifi for PC and android?
Hi,

Start from here: Asuswrt-Merlin - custom firmware for Asus routers
And then read and participate in the Merlin Forum Section.

Or you use the Fork from here: [Fork] Update for 374.43 available

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

PS.: A small search in the forum would give you the same results... :rolleyes:

aside from RMerlin's firmware make sure to do a hardware reset after installing firmware. It helps to solve a number of issues that arise from updating.

It helped and solved my problem.
Thanks.

Could you help me to find an answer for my second question?
How can I use my external HDD connected to routers USB via network?

It helped and solved my problem.
Thanks.

Could you help me to find an answer for my second question?
How can I use my external HDD connected to routers USB via network?
you can use a hard drive over the network from the router but the speeds would be limited. Its not a perfect NAS.

enable samba with guest read on router, than go to network browser on pc and it should appear after a bit of scanning.
This is my setting.
ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT_AC68U_Network_Place_Samba_Share.png

Is that ok? what should I do next on my PC?

Another thing. before updating the firmware to Merlins firmware I was using ASUS firmware and system status was showing 0% usage for both CPU cores and 50MB ram usage but now it is too high. Is that ok? Why is that too high?
ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT_AC68U_Network_Map.png

That is very high if the router is looking for media. If you dont experience any sluggish networking than that CPU or RAM usage is fine and should pass after a while.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!