What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a RT-AC86U running 382.1_2.
I had notice that most of the times I click on "Reboot", the router ends "shutting down".
I have to manually turn it back on.

Am I the only one?

I doubt you'll get much out of it, since the stock firmware does not support Policy rules.

You can blame people running Asus-developed features on non-Asus routers for that code getting moved into a closed-source binary now.

I came to the same conclusion shortly after my reply. I realized that policy rules was one of the reasons why I switched from stock to your Merlin firmware!

In the meantime I’ve switch back to 382.1_2 today and used a work around by adding my VPN rules and priority using scripts placed in /jffs. So far it seems to be working fine.

Thanks!

I have a RT-AC86U running 382.1_2.
I had notice that most of the times I click on "Reboot", the router ends "shutting down".
I have to manually turn it back on.

Am I the only one?

Reboots for me no problem.

Just tossing up some more info as I come across it. The email.log file in the /tmp folder is as follows:

email: FATAL: Smtp error: 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials a17sm8966445qkj.6 - gsmtp

I do use 2-step on my Google account and I've created an app password for this use, but it doesn't appear to be accepting this for some reason. "UGFzc3dvcmQ6" is base64 for "Password:" so it would appear that somewhere along the way my password isn't being accepted. I guess this would make sense somehow as initially I reported that the PM_SMTP_AUTH_PASS value was blank, even after I had set it up properly through the AiProtection interface.

I doubt you'll get much out of it, since the stock firmware does not support Policy rules.

You can blame people running Asus-developed features on non-Asus routers for that code getting moved into a closed-source binary now.

So in other words in all versions later then 380.68_4 - wont be working right with VPN Policy rules? :(( Thanks

On 382.1_2 I am getting a warning ("Only letters, numbers, spaces...") every time I try to add a client or service name with a dash in OpenVPN client page, although the message says dashes are allowed.
Didn't have this issue on 382.1_0

So in other words in all versions later then 380.68_4 - wont be working right with VPN Policy rules? :(( Thanks

Only if you use Dual WAN, where route priorities will be switched and they might conflict. Single WAN works perfectly fine.

On 382.1_2 I am getting a warning ("Only letters, numbers, spaces...") every time I try to add a client or service name with a dash in OpenVPN client page, although the message says dashes are allowed.
Didn't have this issue on 382.1_0

Already discussed in an earlier post, known issue.

Guys, since I flashed the new firmware RT-AC88U: 382.1 I have a lot of issues with my router.
My router is installed in Access point mode only (No DHCP/NAT), and for some reason every day (multiple times) it gets slower and slower untill it is almost not responding at all anymore and I need to hard switch it off and on again. Did anyone else notice this when they put their RT-AC88U in acces point mode only?

I thought it was maybe some configuration issue, so I tried to reset my whole device to have clean settings for the 382.1, but that doesn't help either :-(
The only deviation from the standard settings is: Wifi 2,4/5:"Enable ICMP snooping" and Wifi 2,4:"N only"

Since I'm out of options I want to probe minds on this forum ;-)

(I'm gonna try an upgrade to 382.1_2)

Last edited:
I just fired up a new RT-AC86U today and I'm seeing a problem that I think has been discussed somewhere here before but can't locate. I plan to install Merlin's FW but wanted to check and see if this problem is addressable before doing that. I seem to recall that it's unfixable, but my memory is hazy on the subject.

I get these endless log entries all saying the same thing,

AsusRTAC86Ulog.PNG

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Only if you use Dual WAN, where route priorities will be switched and they might conflict. Single WAN works perfectly fine.

Well it doesnt, othersiwe i wont be on 380 version - had strange issues internet wast working on non VPN clients, i noted that few pages ago.

I get these endless log entries all saying the same thing,

That's because Asus enabled debug logging in the wireless driver. You will get the same with my firmware, as it's the same wireless driver.

That's because Asus enabled debug logging in the wireless driver. You will get the same with my firmware, as it's the same wireless driver.
Okay, I thought I read something along those lines. And not even Asus can fix it? It's not something that concerns me operationally or functionally, it's just an annoyance because my brain is telling me "that's not right" and it wants to "fix" it.

And not even Asus can fix it?

I assume it's something they did deliberately, for troubleshooting purposes.

Syslog is intended to gather such information. Look at the kernel messages during boot time, you will see plenty of similar log entries that might indicate things that are failing, but which are perfectly normal.

I assume it's something they did deliberately, for troubleshooting purposes.

Syslog is intended to gather such information. Look at the kernel messages during boot time, you will see plenty of similar log entries that might indicate things that are failing, but which are perfectly normal.
Thanks. I think at this point it's the limited device renaming that bothers me the most, though even that isn't a deal breaker as the router seems very capable most everywhere else, so far, only been working with it a day or two.

Last edited:
Have you tried restoring the factory defaults and setting things up again?

I’ve had 282.1_2 installed on my AC88U for nearly 24 hours and just ran a speed test on my iPad Air 2 (5 Ghz) and hit 236 Mbps which is maxing out my Internet speeds.
thanks for the info.
I have configured a lot of things on jffs partition and its hard to me config it again :-(

thanks for the info.
I have configured a lot of things on jffs partition and its hard to me config it again :-(

Just make a backup of your config and scripts.

Might also be a good idea to test without these at first, in case they might be the cause of your problems.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!